Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory alarm question. Search done but need more info

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory alarm question. Search done but need more info

OK to make a long story short, ex g/f and I financed car together. She agreed to keep up payments and pay me back money she owed me and in short this is not being done. I am looking into going to repo my own car. I have keys made using the VIN number but do not have the factory alarm key fob remote. Will unlocking the door with the key disable the factory alarm or will it set it off, only to be turned off by the remote? Yes I am the owner of the car with her as a cosigner so this is not illegal in any way.........already discussed the situation with the PD in her town. Main problem with this deal is she is 2200 miles away in WA state (Lacey area )

Any help is appreciated.

Brad
Old 08-23-2004, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Okay, don't know what type of car you are talking about. I'd assume that it's a f-body or a vette? In the case of my 99 Z28, I went outside just now, and with the factory alarm on, the door key unlocks the car without setting off the alarm, and the ignition key works too. Hope this helps,
KevinD
Old 08-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Ooops sorry about that ......yes it is a 99 Z28. Hmmm I talked to local Chevy dealer parts guy yesterday after I posted the message and he said it would most likely sound the alarm. Is it possible alarms can act different ways? Btw where is Wharton? Thanks for the reply.

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 AM
10 Second Moderator

I have a 2000 SS and if I get in using the key with the alarm on the alarm will go crazy, just start the car and it will turn off the alarm. The key has a chip in it that does this. Hope this helps.

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Teching In

And from what I remember about the car the remote will only work within spitting distance right? lol So no problem with the 2000.......starts right up even with the alarm going off?

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

According to the owner's manual...
If the alarm is sounding due to the shock sensor or a door or hatch opening, it can be turned off by either turning the ignition to RUN with a proper key or by pressing any button on the remote keyless entry transmitter."
Old 08-24-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, the alarm will sound when you open the door with the key and the alarm is armed, but it will turn off when you start the car if you have the correct key with the correct resistor on it.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Many thanks guys.......now as long as she didnt change the ignition or door locks out I should be in the clear. And since she cant seem to make the payments on time I doubt she has the $$$$ to change that lol. Hmmmm WA to TX shows to be 33 hour drive.........I think I can make it in 28

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Brad (DRKSYD) Wharton is about 45 min SW of Houston. I moved out here about 12 years ago for work. I'm in Houston fairly regularly. Calvacade area and Seabrook down by Clearlake. Later, Kevin D.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Just be sure you have the right resistor in the ignition key, if not the car will not start and the alarm will go nuts. Also just a tip, repo the car in a public area (mall, etc.) not in front of her home. In a mall she will be gone for a while and you have some more time to take off. Also after you have the car contact a local police statoin to make them aware that you repo'd the car, so that they are not looking for you and arrest you for grand theft auto, just a heads up. Good luck with your recovery
Old 08-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Teching In

The keys I have were made using the VIN and we checked twice to make sure everything was right so unless it has been changed(doubtful ) there should be no problem. And I have already been in contact with the PD in her city and told them I would most likely stop by or call when the repo took place. Something else I just thought about last night was her personal stuff inside the car...........guess I could just stop somewhere after I get out of town and ship it all back to her COD

Brad
Old 08-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Drop it at the PD
Old 08-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Hey that might be an even better idea. That would save me the time of boxing the crap up too lol. Plus could let them see the car is empty of any of her stuff in case she tried to claim she had other valuables inside that did not get returned. And knowing her I am sure she would claim something like that.

Brad
Old 08-25-2004, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

DRKSYD....After reading some of the other replies, I went and checked my alarm again. I can open the door without setting off the alarm. However, If the ignition key is not inserted within @ 5 seconds, the alarm does go off. Hope this helps, and good luck to you!
KevinD