Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Amp "Whines"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Aftermarket Amp "Whines"?

OK, this isn't a F-body question... Why would my amp whine in proportion to engine RPM? I have it mounted in the trunk of my Buick and it sounds great until the engine is turned on. Then it whines and hums and drives me nuts. Any ideas? Thanks! Ben
Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Below is a paragraph taken directly from the Basic Car Audio Electronics site @http://www.bcae1.com/ :

ENGINE NOISE
(alternator whine)

These are general rules or tips which will prevent or reduce the problems with engine noise.
  1. Run the patch cords on the opposite side of the vehicle from the main power and remote output wires.
  2. Make sure that all of the audio components are well grounded to an area that has has been cleared of all paint, primer and other protective coatings.
  3. Don't use the factory wiring for the head unit's (HU) ground connection. Ground the HU to the chassis (body) of the vehicle. If the HU isn't mounted directly to a solid, GROUNDED metal structure, ground the case of the HU to the same point that the HU's ground wire is connected.
  4. Do not extend the ground wires of any component unless it's absolutely necessary. If the device's manufacturer designed a high quality input circuit, extending the ground wire will only cause more problems. If all else fails, and you have one audio component which is allowing noise to enter the system, you can then try different grounding points to see if they make a difference.
  5. If the insulation on the RCA patch cord is damaged and is allowed to touch to ground, it will likely allow noise to enter the audio signal path. If the patch cord is pinched under the back seat or where it crosses over any sharp metal (where it enters the trunk) it will cause noise problems.
  6. As you already know, an amplifier's speaker output generally has one speaker wire with the audio signal and another (the reference) which is connected to the audio ground inside of the amplifier. If the reference is allowed to come in contact with ground (in the door or back deck of the vehicle), a ground loop may be created allowing noise to enter the system. This is not very common but it has happened.
  7. Set the amplifier's gain controls properly. Setting the gains too high will only make a problem with noise worse.
NOTE: DO NOT make any connection (RCA or otherwise) with the system switched on. Doing so may cause damage to speakers or amplifiers.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Snootch-Awesome references! I was hoping that it would be something simple... The H/U doesn't whine at all, only when the amp is hooked up. Thanks again! Any other input is always appreciated! Ben
Old 09-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Launching!

just because you dont hear a whine with just the head unit doesnt mean there is no noise.remember when you send the signal from the HU to your amp it gets amplified hundres of times so it was not noticable before but now becomes amplified and you hear it.try grounging everything to the car directly first then if that does not work look at other options people post on here.most of the time I have had that problem it was the ground.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let me just add to that reference post. A loose patch cable on behing your head unit will cause noise aswell. I had that problem too and tried everything and that damm noise would not go away. It turned out to be a loose patch cable behing my head unit.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Could be a poor amp too. But i'd check the signal cables, grounds, etc. before considering the amp is bad...unless it's very cheap