Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I love optima

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love optima

I just wanted to recomend for everyone to get a red top 34/78 optima battery. They look awesome, have a great warranty, and put out a lot of cranking amps (night and day diff between it and my stock AC Delco).

OPTIMA
Old 12-30-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jammon46
I just wanted to recomend for everyone to get a red top 34/78 optima battery. They look awesome, have a great warranty, and put out a lot of cranking amps (night and day diff between it and my stock AC Delco).

OPTIMA
lol, I'm glad your happy.

If you plan on going to a high powered stereo system. Optimum doesn't support the red ones. You need a yellow top. I bet they didn't tell you that when you bought it. But it does match the car nicely, lol.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
If you plan on going to a high powered stereo system. Optimum doesn't support the red ones. You need a yellow top. I bet they didn't tell you that when you bought it.
And why do you say that?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

i dont know from experience since i havent upgraded my battery yet, but i hear the yellow tops really only show thier worth if you are the type to play your system for long periods with the car not running since you can drain them and recharge over and over with no ill effects.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badhoopty
yellow tops really only show thier worth if you are the type to play your system for long periods with the car not running since you can drain them and recharge over and over with no ill effects.
EXACTLY. While the car is running, the yellow top offers no advantages over the red. Infact, the red actually has a few more CCA then the yellow......
Old 12-31-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebirdude
EXACTLY. While the car is running, the yellow top offers no advantages over the red. Infact, the red actually has a few more CCA then the yellow......
oh, I love the ignorance. If you don't know than don't comment. It's a fact. Go to the website.

You can now only use the blue deep cycle, and the yellow has always been the choice. The blue top deep cycle is now ok to use for audio systems. The red top is not. People like the red because it matches the system but the company does not warranty it, period.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...y_selector.asp

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 12-31-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

And why do you say that?
they are not warrantied by optimum if you damage the battery. It's on their website. Most people buy them because it matches their red car. I'm not saying it won't work, it's not supported by them or is it recommended by them. Check the site for youself. I've been using their stuff for a long time now, it's a fact.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...y_selector.asp

here you go:
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/warranty.asp

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 12-31-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

wickedwarlock is right..
Old 12-31-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've read the website. The fact is that the red top is really no different then any other maintence free battery. You could get a Die-hard is you want. But, like you said, most people don't simply because the red top looks better.

Once the car is running, you're using your alternator. You will see NO advantages of the yellow top while the car is running. I believe the only reason Optima doesn't warrenty the red top in cars with systems is the fact that Mr. Joe Blow could try to play his boom boom with the car off and then wonder why his battery is dead. He returns it, and Optima is out $100+ because some dude is an idiot. Does Die-Hard warrenty their batteries in cars with high power audio system? I think not.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

I've read the website. The fact is that the red top is really no different then any other maintence free battery. You could get a Die-hard is you want. But, like you said, most people don't simply because the red top looks better.

Once the car is running, you're using your alternator. You will see NO advantages of the yellow top while the car is running. I believe the only reason Optima doesn't warrenty the red top in cars with systems is the fact that Mr. Joe Blow could try to play his boom boom with the car off and then wonder why his battery is dead. He returns it, and Optima is out $100+ because some dude is an idiot. Does Die-Hard warrenty their batteries in cars with high power audio system? I think not.
but they are different. look at the deep cycle. that's why they are not supported by optimum, the red ones are low.

also the reserve power is lower. The battery acts like a filter, giving the car constant equal power. That's where the red battery differs from the yellow. When you are drawing large amount of current, the battery will take the hit and not the alternator. For extreme audio equipment, it's recommended to also upgrade the alternator, but you could still damage the battery or alternator by using the red tops, do to their deep cycle draw. Like I said, that's why they are not warrantied. If you are pushing small power, it probably won't matter but if you are drawing over 100 amps, it's a risk to me and not worth taking since it's a small price difference between them.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

but they are different. look at the deep cycle. that's why they are not supported by optimum, the red ones are low.
Not following you there.

I guess I should have added IF you're not exceeding your alternator's output. I guess I kinda thought that was obvious. And yes, you are correct in that IF YOU DO exceed the alt's output; the battery will attempt to maintain voltage at 12.5V. If you do this frequently, yes, you are deep cycling the battery.

But having a yellow top isn’t the answer. If you're continually exceeding the alts output, both red and yellow batteries will "die". (not be able to start the car) But, only the yellow top will be able to accept a jump and recover from "death"...... until you continue to bump the stereo, in which it will die again. You are exceeding the alts output..... therefore you need more output. Your answer.

but you could still damage the battery or alternator by using the red tops, do to their deep cycle draw.
I think you're forgetting something. YES, obviously you would damage the redtop by trying to deep cycle it....... however........ you will NOT damage the alt ANYMORE then if you were using a yellow top. You exceed to alt's output, puts strain on the alt, battery fills in. The alt has no idea if the batt is deep cycle or not..... nor does it care. Just so long as it's got 12.5V. Same strain on alt with both batts.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

Not following you there.

I guess I should have added IF you're not exceeding your alternator's output. I guess I kinda thought that was obvious. And yes, you are correct in that IF YOU DO exceed the alt's output; the battery will attempt to maintain voltage at 12.5V. If you do this frequently, yes, you are deep cycling the battery.

But having a yellow top isn’t the answer. If you're continually exceeding the alts output, both red and yellow batteries will "die". (not be able to start the car) But, only the yellow top will be able to accept a jump and recover from "death"...... until you continue to bump the stereo, in which it will die again. You are exceeding the alts output..... therefore you need more output. Your answer.

I think you're forgetting something. YES, obviously you would damage the redtop by trying to deep cycle it....... however........ you will NOT damage the alt ANYMORE then if you were using a yellow top. You exceed to alt's output, puts strain on the alt, battery fills in. The alt has no idea if the batt is deep cycle or not..... nor does it care. Just so long as it's got 12.5V. Same strain on alt with both batts.
it's really simple.

yellow top batteries are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (high powered stereo amps), red top batteries are not.

Remember, the battery serves as a filter. Hench a power supply for a computer.

use what you want, they function slightly different.

and yes, batteries only buy you listening time. If you pulling more power than the alt can produce. It's preferred to replace the alternator. If you are competing, you would do both.

you are missing the point. The batteries work differently. red top batteries are no different than the standard car battery. The only exception is longer life, faster recharge, leak proof, if completely dead, it should still recharge.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-01-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Remember, the battery serves as a filter. Hench a power supply for a computer.
Yes, a battery does help filter out ripple from the alternator. But what does that have to do with our discussion of the differences between yellow and red top? And a computer's PS is MUCH more like a distribution block then a car battery.
you are missing the point. The batteries work differently. red top batteries are no different than the standard car battery.
I could have sworn I said exactly the same thing earlier.....oh wait...
The fact is that the red top is really no different then any other maintence free battery.
I did.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, a battery does help filter out ripple from the alternator. But what does that have to do with our discussion of the differences between yellow and red top? And a computer's PS is MUCH more like a distribution block then a car battery.
I could have sworn I said exactly the same thing earlier.....oh wait...
I did.
a computer ps does sorta act as a distrubution block but not exactly.

the surge side does, the battery side filters out brown out as well as black outs.

Once the car is running, you're using your alternator. You will see NO advantages of the yellow top while the car is running.
You also said that which is not true. Everything goes through the battery. The same as the alternator not carrying what battery is in the car, the amp doesn't see the charging unit. So it will pull the current from the battery, not the alternator, the better the battery, the more time it will by you. I've seen standard batteries larger than the optimum battery and not function nearly as good as one yellow top. Like I said, there's a big difference between the types of batteries. The red top is not designed to take the heavy load, reguardless if is full and you can damage it. That's what I'm trying to get across to you.

the charging system is affected by the battery type as well as the alternator.

but like anything, it's only buying you more time if you listen to it for long periods, just as you and many others have said.

Don't use the red if you are going to use high powered stereo. It's really simple and said from optimum too, otherwise you are wasting your money because of the performance and because it's not covered.

It's not, the red top is ok because it's just a battery and it will drain and be the same as you say. Sure it will, but like I said, there's a difference in it. Hmmm, to make it simpler, call them and talk to them, maybe than can explain it better to you since for some reason you seem to think it's just a battery.
like I said before, they are different slightly, that's why they market them that way. OH, by the way, the red and yellow top batteries are the same price at a retailer.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-02-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

And why do you say that?
red top is a starting battery, the yellow top is a deep cycle with more of a reserve for stereos.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, I'm glad your happy.

If you plan on going to a high powered stereo system. Optimum doesn't support the red ones. You need a yellow top. I bet they didn't tell you that when you bought it. But it does match the car nicely, lol.
NO it is the other way around, # of my close friends that have shops know that Optima covers the batteryonly if it is a red under the hood and if you have a system yellow as a second battery only. Yellow is never your only battery. Red first as the batterys are the same but charge time is different.

This said I love Optima I have them I all my cars. I have 6 yellow tops and 3 red in my garage right now! But Make Sure You Keep Them Charged. Even a trickle charger on them.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
NO it is the other way around, # of my close friends that have shops know that Optima covers the batteryonly if it is a red under the hood and if you have a system yellow as a second battery only. Yellow is never your only battery. Red first as the batterys are the same but charge time is different.

This said I love Optima I have them I all my cars. I have 6 yellow tops and 3 red in my garage right now! But Make Sure You Keep Them Charged. Even a trickle charger on them.

i didnt think you could charge orbital batteries???
Old 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
NO it is the other way around, # of my close friends that have shops know that Optima covers the batteryonly if it is a red under the hood and if you have a system yellow as a second battery only. Yellow is never your only battery. Red first as the batterys are the same but charge time is different. .
if u want to use a yellow in the back and a diferent battery in the front, then it is a good idea that u get a battery isolater.

i was taught never to mix and match battries even if its the same brand like the red and yellow top.

all batteries should match and be at the same age ( no old yellow tops from a prior install and then add a 2nd to it )

if u mix any different batteries get an isolater