Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing the "stock subs" with 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing the "stock subs" with 6x9s

I havn't been able to check behind the sail panels, but I've been thinking of ripping out the stock subs (6.5 mids) and replacing them with my pioneer 6x9s. I know they won't exactly drop fit in there, but I'm down to do some modding and fabricating. Has anyone done this before? Better yet, does anyone know for a fact that this won't work? I looked at the width of the space it sits in, and it may just work. But I'm not sure, cuase I havn't actually taken the speaker out and placed in the 6x9. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001FireBird
I havn't been able to check behind the sail panels, but I've been thinking of ripping out the stock subs (6.5 mids) and replacing them with my pioneer 6x9s. I know they won't exactly drop fit in there, but I'm down to do some modding and fabricating. Has anyone done this before? Better yet, does anyone know for a fact that this won't work? I looked at the width of the space it sits in, and it may just work. But I'm not sure, cuase I havn't actually taken the speaker out and placed in the 6x9. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks
Double check your depth for the speaker, and watch the sail panel to make sure the surround from the woofer does not hit it.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats a whole lot of chopping and work for a speaker that wont nessicarily sound better., IMO dont hack up your car. Plus if youre running them off the monsoon you get bass only and it definitely wont sound better. Round speakers sound better than ovals, and once you cut those holes you cant go back! Get a subwoffer and replace the back speakers with full range ones run off the HU but dont go chop up your car.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, i'm not using a the stock monsoon. I have a pioneer DEH-7500 I think? I bought this HU last year. The thing is, I'm already running a L7 solobaric, so bass through the 6x9's won't matter to me. Right now, I replaced the mids and tweets in the hatch area, and used the 6x9s to replace. I just want to move the 6x9's to the sail panels since i wont be using those mids cause of the sub.

I also had the idea of some how placing the 6x9's in the hatch area. Problem is... on the driver sides, I can't fit it due to the speaker size. It hits the chassis and won't fit into the panel. Looks very ugly, and I dont feel like pouding in the chassis just to make a speaker fit. I dont know.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001FireBird
Yeah, i'm not using a the stock monsoon. I have a pioneer DEH-7500 I think? I bought this HU last year. The thing is, I'm already running a L7 solobaric, so bass through the 6x9's won't matter to me. Right now, I replaced the mids and tweets in the hatch area, and used the 6x9s to replace. I just want to move the 6x9's to the sail panels since i wont be using those mids cause of the sub.

I also had the idea of some how placing the 6x9's in the hatch area. Problem is... on the driver sides, I can't fit it due to the speaker size. It hits the chassis and won't fit into the panel. Looks very ugly, and I dont feel like pouding in the chassis just to make a speaker fit. I dont know.
So just ebay the 6x9's and gte a pair of good 6.5s for the rear sail panels. hacking holes in your sail panels is not wise.....
Old 01-01-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
So just ebay the 6x9's and gte a pair of good 6.5s for the rear sail panels. hacking holes in your sail panels is not wise.....

its insanely easy. Get some tin snips and cut a few lines on each side, then just bend the metal back till the speaker fits. im sure any eclipse/sony/RF will fit.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
its insanely easy. Get some tin snips and cut a few lines on each side, then just bend the metal back till the speaker fits. im sure any eclipse/sony/RF will fit.
Easy yes, smart no. The sail panels where the speakers mount are a structural piece. Plus once you mount 6x9's youre stuck wth 6x9's, when he can probably ebay them to get enough cash to throw in a bit more and get a good set of 6.5's that will sound better (round speakers sound better!) and not have to hack up his car.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Easy yes, smart no. The sail panels where the speakers mount are a structural piece. Plus once you mount 6x9's youre stuck wth 6x9's, when he can probably ebay them to get enough cash to throw in a bit more and get a good set of 6.5's that will sound better (round speakers sound better!) and not have to hack up his car.

if a structural piece of the car is 1/16" metal then i hope i never roll over
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
if a structural piece of the car is 1/16" metal then i hope i never roll over
lol true, its not the whole structure but it is a stability piece.

Like i said I cant see cutting a hole in your car to stick in a $100 set of speakers that will be muffled by the plastic sail panel anyway and wont particularly sound better. Its one thing if youre doing a custom high end sound setup, but for a cheap set of speakers, I think not.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just realized that it's best to just get components. I looked into bestbuy and frys today. At best buys I saw the same rockford components I used in the fronts. ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product )
Also at frys there are these (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4197613 )

Which would any of you reccommend? For what I want, I want the system to bump loud enough that you could hear my **** from the side of the street when I'm at a light. It of course will be clear, since it's only going to run highs and mids. I have a sub for the lows. But yeah, I just want somethign to bump loud and clear.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry this kills the whole point of my thread. Forget replacing with "6x9s" I hear they suck, that you should really just keep things seperated, tweets, mids etc.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

You have better options than Rockford, those Polk MOMOs are a good start. Go to some shops, listen to a few sets
Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, thanks