Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone put Kicker CompVR (or the like) in a 12" subthump stealthbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put Kicker CompVR (or the like) in a 12" subthump stealthbox

The Kicker 12" CompVR I have calls for 1.0 cu ft. The subtump 12" box is only .6 Has anyone tried a CompVR, or other "non small enclosure" sub in the subthump 12" box? Did you get the "port" that they offer with it?

I'm not looking for competition bass, I just happen to have 2 fairly new 12" CompVRs and would like to not hav to buy a 10" one.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 10" in subthump. Sounds good could be better.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
I have a 10" in subthump. Sounds good could be better.
10s are less of an issue because they usually don't require as much air space. On subthumps website, they recommend the 10" version of the speakers I have in their 10" box, but there is no mention of it for the 12" box.

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried it.

I ran both of these 12"s in a boxes I built in my Grand Cherokee (about 1.3 cu ft each) and they sounded VERY good for relatively inexpensive speakers.

I am actually not disappointed with bass responce of the Monsoon setup at low-mid level volume levels, but it is terribel at moderate to high volume, even before they stock subs blew.

Last edited by anestech*; 01-21-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Teching In

You'll be fine, just don't expect everything. Less airspace requires more power to get the same sound. F-bods have good cabin gain around 50-60 hz. You'll be amazed at the bass out of good components with modest ratings. If you want truly amazing output, be prepared to spend. Airspace is at a premium in these cars. If you are willing to give up t-top storage, you can get AMAZING bass for very little money. You can only do so much with so much money. How much do you want? I have tons of experience with various enclosures and power ratings in these cars, both hardtop, t-top, and ragtop versions.

Jason
Old 01-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmil1974
You'll be fine, just don't expect everything. Less airspace requires more power to get the same sound. F-bods have good cabin gain around 50-60 hz. You'll be amazed at the bass out of good components with modest ratings. If you want truly amazing output, be prepared to spend. Airspace is at a premium in these cars. If you are willing to give up t-top storage, you can get AMAZING bass for very little money. You can only do so much with so much money. How much do you want? I have tons of experience with various enclosures and power ratings in these cars, both hardtop, t-top, and ragtop versions.

Jason
I don't want to lose the t-top storage or the spare tire access. This is the wifes DD, and we can't lose the storage. I just need something to replace the blown stock Monsoon "subs" and figured this would sound somewhat better for not too much cash.