Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD Changer Installation (ignition)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CD Changer Installation (ignition)

Hey everyone

I recently purchased a Sony MP3 cd-changer, and there are 3 wires to hook up for power. One (yellow) is battery, black is obviously ground, and the red is ignition lead. Where can I install this red wire? I know on an aftermarket headunit, i could use the preamp (usually blue) but I currently have stock monsoon system.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been trying to research it with not many answer's. But what most people are saying is pull your headunit out and in the 20pin harness there is a spot that is unused and one of them is a remote wire. The reason there is one that is unused is because the Birds have power antenna's and camaro's don't. So just take a test light or a voltage meter. and try the pins out on the back of the headunit. Just stick the test light in the empty slot's and turn your key on and off and see if you light comes on and off. I also found that there is a pink wire coming out of the steering column that is a ingnition wire. I would probably try the radio first though.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm that sounds like something I can work with, thanks man. I remember in my honda before I had an aftermarket HU i hooked into the fuse box, but ideally i'd like to hook into the remote lead.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I don't blame you there. Oh yeah BTW Welcome to the winning team.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol thanks. i actually had a mustang gt before i got the camaro, (hated the stang) but my civic is my loyal daily driver
Old 01-29-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else have a suggestion for ignition remote lead?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

In the fuse box there are three extra connectors - one for battery, one for ignition, and one for accessory (same as ignition but also powered during "retained accessory power" operation). It's fairly easy to tap into any of those and route your wiring through the dash or wherever you need it.

Also, why would you need the remote turn-on lead? Why not just tap into the radio power? That would be the yellow wire in the black 10-pin connector on the back of the radio.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:26 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning on hooking it up to the stock head unit? If so, I was wondering how, I have a SOny CD changer I want to use as well with my Monsoon
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is no way to hook up a Sony CD changer so that it is controlled by the factory radio. The only aftermarket changer that will work with the factory radio is the NeoChanger which is specially designed to do that. Alpine and Kenwood used to make adapters to connect their changers to GM radios but they're not available anymore.

You can hook up your Sony through an FM modulator but you'll have to use the controller that came with the changer to switch tracks or discs and the sound isn't as good as with a direct connection.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no way to hook up a Sony CD changer so that it is controlled by the factory radio. The only aftermarket changer that will work with the factory radio is the NeoChanger which is specially designed to do that. Alpine and Kenwood used to make adapters to connect their changers to GM radios but they're not available anymore.

You can hook up your Sony through an FM modulator but you'll have to use the controller that came with the changer to switch tracks or discs and the sound isn't as good as with a direct connection.
I thought that was the case, I was just hoping someone had discovered something new.