Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Head unit swap!

I was just wondering I have a 2001 Pontiac T/A Ws6 with the factory CD Monsoon with 7ban eq. I was going to purchase a factory monsoon Tape w/7ban eq with the cd changer that connect's directly into the factory unit. My question is this is out of a 2000 T/A will the wiring harness be different from the 2000's to 2001's?
Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

No, the harness is the same - it will plug right in. However, your 01 CD head unit is capable of controlling the external CD changer so, unless you really want cassette capability, it's not necessary to change the head unit in order to use the changer. The wiring harness for the changer is already installed in your car (you will find the end of it taped to the left rear speaker wires under the plastic trim in the hatch area).
Old 02-12-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Monsoon Expert Talks. Really your tag should be changed to "The MONSOON Expert"
Old 02-13-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the harness is the same - it will plug right in. However, your 01 CD head unit is capable of controlling the external CD changer so, unless you really want cassette capability, it's not necessary to change the head unit in order to use the changer. The wiring harness for the changer is already installed in your car (you will find the end of it taped to the left rear speaker wires under the plastic trim in the hatch area).

Thank you for the anser WhiteBird00. The main reason I wanted the cassette is for my sirius satilte radio. I have tried it with the wireless interface with fm frequencies but in my town I have a better chance of spitting in the wind and not getting hit then for that to pick up the channels clearly . As well I did not no that my CD headunit was capable of running Disc changer. Now I can still listen to my cd's but still have my channels from sirius if I buy that whole kit from him. Since I have installed Sirius in my truck with a kenwood HU and receiver I have not listened to radio or my cd's that have about 200 mp3's on them. Now I bought my GF and JVC Sirius Combo pack with tape fed interface into her bravada and it sounds so crystal clear. So when she is not using it I will after I purchase another mounting bracket and antenna. Anyways thanks for the info. What I am curious is if this changer will run off fm frequencies as well or is there a aux button on them.So Mr. Monsoon Expert can you answer that for me as well . and where is the best place to pickup the cartridge cuz that is the only thing missing. I was totally stoaked when I was quoted 135.00 shipped for it all.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snapps
Thank you for the anser WhiteBird00. The main reason I wanted the cassette is for my sirius satilte radio. I have tried it with the wireless interface with fm frequencies but in my town I have a better chance of spitting in the wind and not getting hit then for that to pick up the channels clearly . As well I did not no that my CD headunit was capable of running Disc changer. Now I can still listen to my cd's but still have my channels from sirius if I buy that whole kit from him. Since I have installed Sirius in my truck with a kenwood HU and receiver I have not listened to radio or my cd's that have about 200 mp3's on them. Now I bought my GF and JVC Sirius Combo pack with tape fed interface into her bravada and it sounds so crystal clear. So when she is not using it I will after I purchase another mounting bracket and antenna. Anyways thanks for the info. What I am curious is if this changer will run off fm frequencies as well or is there a aux button on them.So Mr. Monsoon Expert can you answer that for me as well . and where is the best place to pickup the cartridge cuz that is the only thing missing. I was totally stoaked when I was quoted 135.00 shipped for it all.

Jeff
Hey. He is only informing you. Not bashing you. And He's the best informed on the Monsoon system here.

Since you were kind of saying "factory" I assume the Changer is also factory and plugs directly into the back of the HU. It doesn't play through the RAdio. It goes straight into the HU and out the speakers. No FM modulation.

As for the Tape adaptor, look at Radio Shack or Walmart, just about anywhere you will find one they are almost always cheap. Just remeber to clean the Tape Deck with a Demagnitizer and Head Cleaner. It will keep the Heads for the Tape player clean. (I'm "old Scool". Still have Mix tapes from the Early 90's)
Old 02-13-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Hey. He is only informing you. Not bashing you. And He's the best informed on the Monsoon system here.

Since you were kind of saying "factory" I assume the Changer is also factory and plugs directly into the back of the HU. It doesn't play through the RAdio. It goes straight into the HU and out the speakers. No FM modulation.

As for the Tape adaptor, look at Radio Shack or Walmart, just about anywhere you will find one they are almost always cheap. Just remeber to clean the Tape Deck with a Demagnitizer and Head Cleaner. It will keep the Heads for the Tape player clean. (I'm "old Scool". Still have Mix tapes from the Early 90's)
Ok thanks. BTW . I didn't mean that comment to the monsoon man to be taken as a bad thing . I meant to have the smiley follow that. But @ 130am and tired as a dog, stuff like that tends to happen. Please forgive me if anyone seems to take the bold print in recent post the wrong way. Thank you soooo Much honestly Whitebird00 . Thanks Richiec77!! you both have been execellent help. One last simple question. I was told the main wire that connects to the head unit to the changer is supplied in all LS1 f-body's from the factory and that the wire is hidden under rear driverside panel? Is that correct?

ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO YOU TWO FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.

Jeff

Last edited by Snapps; 02-13-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snapps
Ok thanks. BTW . I didn't mean that comment to the monsoon man to be taken as a bad thing . I meant to have the smiley follow that. But @ 130am and tired as a dog, stuff like that tends to happen. Please forgive me if anyone seems to take the bold print in recent post the wrong way. Thank you soooo Much honestly Whitebird00 . Thanks Richiec77!! you both have been execellent help. One last simple question. I was told the main wire that connects to the head unit to the changer is supplied in all LS1 f-body's from the factory and that the wire is hidden under rear driverside panel? Is that correct?

ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO YOU TWO FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.

Jeff
No prob man
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the wiring harness for the factory CD changer is already installed even if you didn't get the changer originally. It is already plugged into the back of the head unit and the other end is taped to the left rear speaker wires (under the plastic trim in the hatch area).

The factory changer can't be used with anything but a factory head unit because it doesn't have FM modulator capability. It is made by Pioneer but only to GM specifications so even Pioneer head units won't connect to it. However, it uses the same cartridge as other Pioneer changers. The Pioneer part number is JDT-1212 for the 12-disc cartridge - I don't know the number for the 6-disc model. Remember to put the discs in upside down (label side down) which is opposite to most changers.

Changing to the factory cassette radio will certainly allow you to control the external changer and use the cassette adapter for your satellite radio but there is also another alternative. There is an adapter from PIE (GM9-AUX) that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the radio and allows you to connect your satellite radio without having any wires hanging out of the front of the radio. Also, since you have an 01 model, you can still connect a factory changer as well (only 01 and 02 models can do that). You would press CD/Play (or CD/AUX in a Camaro) once for the internal single CD, again for the CD changer, and a third time to switch to the satellite radio. The sound quality would be the same as a CD and the installation is much cleaner looking.

$135 is a pretty fair price for the CD changer alone so you might want to buy that setup just for that reason. Getting the cassette radio as well makes it a pretty good deal.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help whitebird00 you are obviously very intelligent person in the audio dept. As well thank you for your help, and knowledge and for pointing out my comment in the earlier post Richiec77. I am glad to hear you say that 135 shipped is a fair price. Because the deal is done not to mention I have about 20 cassette tapes that I wouldn’t mind cruising to again. Once again fellas thank you for your time and information. Would you have any suggestions on how to install my main antenna from my satellite radio into my car without going under the weather-stripping of my door seal? I did that in my truck and now it is loose. But the truck is 11 years old.

Well you two have a nice day.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Many people have mounted their satellite radio antenna inside the rear spoiler. As long as you don't have metallic paint, it will get almost as good reception as being mounted outside the car.

Now, if you want the best possible reception, you're going to have to mount the antenna outside and as high as possible. That means someplace on the roof. Bear in mind that the roof isn't metal so you'll need to use adhesive to keep the antenna in place. The easiest way is to put the antenna just in front of the hatch and run the lead in through the hatch opening and under the headliner to the dash.

I wanted an installation that looked more like it came from the factory so I did something a little different. When you remove the t-tops you'll see that the center trim piece on the roof is held on by several screws. I removed the trim and drilled a hole through the roof under it. I fed the antenna lead through the hole, under the headliner to the A-pillar and down to the dash. Then I put sealing compound around the hole and remounted the trim on top with the antenna lead coming out the back. The hole is completely hidden by trim. The antenna then mounts to the trim piece near the back and is fairly inconspicuous. Here is a picture:

Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that looks great. I think I will go with your way. Sorry to bite off ya. But man that looks hidden right there. A thought! Could I instead of taping it on the middle piece of the t-top maybe turn it around to the other way from your direction as shown and get good reception? Isn't that metal which would magnetize right? Strange enough I have noticed if I remove my antenna from the top of my roof on my truck just after I was it. I find that my music cut's out untill I lay it back on the roof.. Kinda like a gound. Many thanks.

Jeff

Last edited by Snapps; 02-14-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: A thought!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, you can put the antenna either in front of or behind the trim piece but you're going to have to use adhesive either way - that roof panel isn't metal either. In fact, the only metal panels on a T/A are the quarter panels and the hood (not even the hood on a WS6).

The newer micro antennas like the one in the picture don't require a ground plane so reception will not be affected by mounting them to a non-metalic surface.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Whitebird00

Once again you have answered my questions. So I thank you. Would you have a good idea what a 1year old Monsoon CD Player with graphic eq for a t/a would be worth on the forums. Just like an avg of what they sell for here. If this Cassette with changer works flawlessly then I am going to sell mine. I went threw 4 refurbs after my orginal cd player eq tab fell off. And finally I said to the dealer. 3 is the lemon law. Hahahahah. I was nice enough to try one more refurb deck then what was required. All 4 refurb'd decks had a problem with the volume **** when you lower the volume it would increase the volume at times. Not just a little bit but enough to make ya jump. So I walked in to the parts department with the service manger of Don Ayres Pontiac/GMC/Honda and we ordered a brand new deck. I have had it for a year. drove the car a full 3 1/2 months and thats it. Since replacement of Head uint. BTW are you subscribed to Sirius or Xm?

Jeff

Last edited by Snapps; 02-16-2005 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Ask question about SRSP
Old 02-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Both actually. I have Sirius in the car and at the office and XM on the bike. I have a prepaid subscription for a year on each. I expect that when the subscription expires I'll drop the XM because I find I like the Sirius play list better. That's a matter of personal opinion - I have several friends who like XM much better. I got the XM for the bike originally because the Roady was the smallest satellite radio setup you could buy. Now the new Sirius StarMate is about the same size so I'll probably get one of those.

I haven't really kept track of the resale value of Monsoon head units but I've seen them go for anywhere between $50 (someone who hated it and just wanted to get rid of it) to $180 (someone who upgraded).