Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can I fit a 6.5" in dash head unit/monitor in my Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I fit a 6.5" in dash head unit/monitor in my Trans Am?

I've been looking at 6.5" monitors lately. And I've been wondering if,and how they fit into the dash of the TA. I want to go all out on the system, so the stock Monsoon HU has to go.

I've been looking at the Kenwood DDX7015:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2557

And three Eclipse units; AVX2494, AVX2404, and AVN2454 which is the navi unit.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_av.html

I saw the Eclipse AVX2494 in this silver TA on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

It looks like it fits in there without much re-arranging. Hard to tell from just a photo though. All of the units are in Double DIN size. I don't much about the stereo setups in these cars, but figured there's got to be someone on here whos already done this once before.

Rob
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you have a din -1/2

double din size head unit will require cutting

that WS6 is awesome! sorry to rant
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

What exactly will I have to cut? I don't have the car down here, so I can't go out and figure out what needs to be done.

Is there any fabricating I'm going to have to do, like how can I mount it? I guess I'll have to wait until I've got the car the car in front of me, and pull the plastic trim panel and see whats there to cut. How much material am I going to have to cut do you think?

Rob
Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

So nobody knows, huh? There's gotta be someone on here that strayed away from the flip up screen on LS1tech?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done but you would probably have to have the whole center section redone in fiberglass. You would have enough room if you moved the hvac controls to the glove box and moved the screen down a bit. You might be able to fit it also if you ditch the buttons above the radio, but I havent measured it out so im not sure. Either way some fiberglass is going to be involved to make it work.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I can fiberglass pretty good. I used to build Porsche race parts for a summer job. It just looks like he somehow used the factory plastic trim piece on that silver car above. What buttons are you talking about above the radio?

I've seen someone re-locate the HVAC controls, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do it. It looks real clean the way it was done above. I would have room for a real nice switch panel if I re-located the HVAC controls, but I suppose I'd have to do some more fiberglassing to get that done as well.

I've done a search on the subject, but I cant seem to find anything on LS1tech. That guy can't be the only one whos done it..