Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I just bought a AAI-GM9 for my ipod and having issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a AAI-GM9 for my ipod and having issues

I'm trying to plug it all up and get it to work. I have a 2000 Camaro that did not come with the factory cd changer. What do I need to do in order for this to work correctly. I currently can not switch AUX because there was never another aux device in my setup. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

If the head unit needs a signal to switch on to aux, which wire is it the supplies this signal, could I need just supply a switch that sends the same power to get it to activate?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The AAI-GM9 will not work unless you have the "slave unit" attached and operating. This means you need to have the external CD changer installed for the adapter to work. PAC's website says:
Requirements: The sedan or SUV/truck factory headunit must have a separate working slave unit which uses the GM 9 pin connector (1995-2002 vehicles). Slave unit examples are: external CD changer, cassette player and/or single CD player. Please note that the slave unit must continuously be playing for the AAI-GM9 to work.

The single CD player they refer to is not the one in the head unit - it's an external accessory that was available for some GM cars to add CD capability to cassette head units.

You should take that adapter back and get yourself the iPod2Car adapter which doesn't require the external changer in order to work. (In fact, it requires the changer be disconnected if you have one.)
Old 02-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You should take that adapter back and get yourself the iPod2Car adapter which doesn't require the external changer in order to work. (In fact, it requires the changer be disconnected if you have one.)
The ipod2car is retard expensive, I just cant justify spending $160+ on something so simplistic as adding rca in to the factory stereo when this device does it just fine. Is there not a way to trick the factory stereo into thinking a device on the aux has just turned on, I would think one of the wires would need a constant 12v signal to switch on so the stock head unit 'sees' it.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The 9-pin connector for the CD changer has a drain wire, left and right audio signal, common audio return, power and ground wires. I'm not familiar with how the head unit determines if the changer is present using those wires and internal schematics aren't available to me. I doubt a constant 12V signal will work because the external changer receives power from the head unit through the 9-pin port on the back - not the other way around.

The iPod2Car interface is expensive but it enables control of the iPod using the head unit buttons. If all you want is an auxiliary input adapter, go with the GM9-AUX from PIE. It converts the head unit changer port into auxiliary input without requiring the changer be installed and is available for under $70 (I've seen it as low as $59.99).
Old 02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks man, I'll see if I can find the PIE and get that work.

This is what I need?
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/gmpieauinco.html
Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by AbecX
Thanks man, I'll see if I can find the PIE and get that work.

This is what I need?
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/gmpieauinco.html
Yep, that's the one. That's the lowest price I've seen them selling for.

Quick Reply: I just bought a AAI-GM9 for my ipod and having issues