Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing bulb in radio switch on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing bulb in radio switch on steering wheel????

I wasn't sure on where to post this question, I am sorry if it's in the wrong place. But my question is, I have a 1997 trans am and the Seek/preset button on the steering wheel has gone out. I heard there is a way to just open the button and soder on a new bulb. Well can someone tell me if this is possible. And if it is, where can i get a bulb that fits and i could soder? thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Get something like a pick and pry the whole switch out gently. Take the buttons off the front then you'll see the bulb inside. You'll need to heat it up so the old solder lets it go then just pop a new bulb in and let it dry.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
Get something like a pick and pry the whole switch out gently. Take the buttons off the front then you'll see the bulb inside. You'll need to heat it up so the old solder lets it go then just pop a new bulb in and let it dry.

Do you know what size bulb and where i can get one. and is the bulb just clear
Old 02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Its got a red sleeve over it to make it have that orange color. I don't know what bulb it is, you'll have to take the old one out to find out.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
Its got a red sleeve over it to make it have that orange color. I don't know what bulb it is, you'll have to take the old one out to find out.
cool thanks for the imput
Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if the design changed over the years, but on my 1994, the buttons dont just 'pop off' unless you break them.

After disconnecting the battery, check the back of the steering wheel for 4 screws (cant remember if they are allen or torx). This will release the airbag assembly. Pull it out slowly and disconnect the yellow connector, as well as whatever other electrical connectors are there for the radio controls.

I cant remember much after that, but the switch assemblies will unbolt from the rest of the assembly, and then there are screws along the back of the button assemblies that will separate them in two.

You can then access the little circuit board, the 6 LEDs, and the little red switches that the buttons activate. While you're in there, you might replace the little rubber plungers that depress the switches -- using those little red straws from an aerosol spray can in place of the rubber plungers. Works 100% better than the little rubber plungers...

Feel free to ask questions if that was unclear. Sorry, I know those directions are somewhat vague. -Poor memory, but it wasn't difficult to figure out on my own once I got tearing into it...
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going by what a friend told me he did to his because one of mine is out. This is on a 95 t/a.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, whatever works. If you can get to it that way, then by all means, do so. But, judging that soldering is involved, it might be easiest to remove the pieces entirely IMHO. They are fairly simple to remove completely if the first method doesn't work out. Good luck...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I'm glad this was brought up becuase not only is my light out on that seek button panel but that side doesn't even work. The right side that controls volume does work. Is there some sort of fuse or something that would make the left panel not even work?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of mine went out then the other went out not 2-3 weeks later. There is a recall on the steering wheel controls for the Trans Am, but im sure the recall is too far past due.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by outdooricon
I'm glad this was brought up becuase not only is my light out on that seek button panel but that side doesn't even work. The right side that controls volume does work. Is there some sort of fuse or something that would make the left panel not even work?
My best guess would be that the little plungers that press the button are jacked. It REALLY helps if you replace the plungers with small sections of those red straws (from aerosol cans), as I explained earlier. Give it a try. It takes some time to get the length right, but once you do, the steering wheel controls aren't mushy anymore, and they actually 'click'.

Also, inside there, make sure the little red button on the circuit board is still ok. One of mine was stuck -- just needed to be cleaned a little...
Old 02-25-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

Damn, you guys want them to work... I want mine off, they get too damn hot on long drives.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
I'm not sure if the design changed over the years, but on my 1994, the buttons dont just 'pop off' unless you break them.

After disconnecting the battery, check the back of the steering wheel for 4 screws (cant remember if they are allen or torx). This will release the airbag assembly. Pull it out slowly and disconnect the yellow connector, as well as whatever other electrical connectors are there for the radio controls.

I cant remember much after that...'cuz the air bag blew up and knocked me out!
Sorry...couldn't resist!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

(Shhhhh! You weren't supposed to tell.)

Quick Reply: Replacing bulb in radio switch on steering wheel?