Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Vented Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vented Box

In my truck right now i have 2 12" JL w3's with a planet audio amp in a sealed box.My truck is a regular cab so room for the subs is tight so im guessing the subs are choked on air space.What im asking is if i were to take one of the 12's out and build a vented box with just one JL w3 with a 250/1 JL amp would that hit harder?

OR

2 10" W3v2's in a vented box?

Last edited by 4.8redchev; 03-01-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 4.8redchev
In my truck right now i have 2 12" JL w3's with a planet audio amp in a sealed box.My truck is a regular cab so room for the subs is tight so im guessing the subs are choked on air space.What im asking is if i were to take one of the 12's out and build a vented box with just one JL w3 with a 250/1 JL amp would that hit harder?

OR

2 10" W3v2's in a vented box?
A vented or bandpass box will hit harder, but a sealed box with smaller subs will be cleaner sound. So it's up to you. Check the JL website about the 12s cubic feet needs for a sealed box. I was running two JL 12" w3s in a sealed box in my bronco, they were very clean at low levels but could almost bust the windows when you cranked it up. I now have a 10" w3 in my tahoe in a sealed box. It is not as loud, but very clean. Since you're in Houston, call Custom Car Stereo, they are the best in the business and will be able to answer all of your questions. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
A vented or bandpass box will hit harder, but a sealed box with smaller subs will be cleaner sound. So it's up to you. Check the JL website about the 12s cubic feet needs for a sealed box. I was running two JL 12" w3s in a sealed box in my bronco, they were very clean at low levels but could almost bust the windows when you cranked it up. I now have a 10" w3 in my tahoe in a sealed box. It is not as loud, but very clean. Since you're in Houston, call Custom Car Stereo, they are the best in the business and will be able to answer all of your questions. Hope this helps.
yea they are thats why i do all my buiness by far the best shop it Houston.Well to be the truth i have no problem with my subs right now they sound awsome but like motor mods i want more..but as in subs i want more bass now would the 1 12 w3 in a vented box hit harder then my 2 12 w3's in a sealed box?

also i was wonderin would it be worth it to just add another sub to my box? and have 3 subs? i know i would need a new amp so what would be yalls recommendation? 500/1?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

In a truck you really dont have enough room to go bandpass.
Porting a box requires you to tune it to a certian frequency. Your over all frequency curve will be more narrow but in theory you will gain a +3 db. JLs sound the best in a sealed box. Are you sure you have enough power on these subs?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8redchev
yea they are thats why i do all my buiness by far the best shop it Houston.Well to be the truth i have no problem with my subs right now they sound awsome but like motor mods i want more..but as in subs i want more bass now would the 1 12 w3 in a vented box hit harder then my 2 12 w3's in a sealed box?

also i was wonderin would it be worth it to just add another sub to my box? and have 3 subs? i know i would need a new amp so what would be yalls recommendation? 500/1?
a ported box will always play louder and lower than a sealed box. It takes very little wattage to make it sound loud. Make sure you are feeding the sub enough power otherwise you can mess it up.
You want to tune the box for the type of music you listen to also.