Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What sort of sub to use with a stealthbox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What sort of sub to use with a stealthbox?

I'm going to use the subthump 12" driver's side enclosure. http://www.subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm

I need to select a sub now. My amp is a JL Audio 300x4. Front two channels will run my componets, back two the sub. I want to run a dual voice coil sub so that I won't have to rig the amp to run at 2 ohms(cleaner signal at 4 ohms).

In my ignorance I went out a bought an Eclpise SW6123DVC 12" dual voice coil sub because it was on sale. It says the ideal box volume is 1.65 cu. ft. Will it sound decent in this box, or should I sell it and buy something else?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe this one?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pNNRF93...fo&i=108PER10B
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Perfect's sound pretty damn good in that stealth box. That was the first sub I went with in my 10" Stealth box. I then went to the Alpine Type R that is in there now. I've got an Infinity 576x1 amp on it and NO ONE believes that there is only a single 10 back there. With the hatch and the stealthbox, the Type R is the best sub for me. Never thought I'd say I like a Type R anything, but I'll let it slide this one time
Old 03-07-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never heard the infiniti subs but they look like they would work quite well.

i got some factory refurbished 10" image dynamic subs from sounddomain.com for SUPER CHEAP. half of the price of the infinity you posted.

they are outstanding subs to say the least, from my research i havent read any bad comments on them.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Go with the alpine type-r i have it and it sounds bad a$$.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is the sub i have in mine, its a rockford punch he DVC 10" it hits pretty hard and you can get them for under 50 bucks on ebay, or the alpine is good too.
Attached Thumbnails What sort of sub to use with a stealthbox?-d8_1_b.jpg  
Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

try alot of polyfill with the eclipse and it MAY work. i would definately ditch it though. elemental design, image dynamics, alpine, JL, and RF are definately among the best. i am a personal fan of ID. badhoopty and i were talking on another forum about those IDs. he's running 3 10s, i only had 1 10. by far the best SQ sub i have ever heard. next time around i think im gonna try Elemental Design though. very promising company and good subs from what i hear
Old 03-09-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I want to run a dual voice coil sub so that I won't have to rig the amp to run at 2 ohms(cleaner signal at 4 ohms).
You don't nesessarily have to run a DVC sub. 4 ohm mono in bridged mode puts the same stress on the amp as 2 ohm stereo mode. For subwoofers, the sound quality (damping factor) difference between running the amp at 2 ohm vs. 4 ohm is not even audible (especially with the JL amp and it's regulated power supply). The amp will put out 150w RMS into a pair of bridged channels into any load from 3 ohms to 8 ohms. My recommendations for a sub.... any 12" sub capable of 300w rms or greater, single 3,4, or 8 ohm voice coil, or a dual 2, 4 or 6 ohm voice coil sub. That kinda narrows it down some eh? j/k.
Seriously tough, that amp will put out a moderate amount of power into a sub, with the same quality regardless if it's between 3-8 ohms. Since single voice coil subs are slightly cheaper, I would go with one of them, and especially one made for small enclosures, The Eclipse you have is fine, but may sound a bit "boomy" especially aroung 100-120hz due to being in too small of an enclosure. By using a sub meant for a small enclosure, you are retaining more of your low end "grunt" around 30-80hz. Another thing I would keep aware of when selecting a sub for that box, is the mounting depth. make sure it will fit in the box! Lots of subs (especially nowadays) are sporting deep baskets that can be 8"-10"! Make sure you don't buy a sub that meets all the specifications, (VC between 3-8 ohms, power handling >300 watts rms, small sealed box airspace requirements) and you can't fit it in the box! Well, in parting, I'll leave you with a few links to subs I think will work great in you application.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...onials&cur=USD

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...er=GTS&cat=SUB

http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merc...ory_Code=IMSUB
Old 03-10-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Might look into JL Audio. They have really good sound for a really good price. And they take a beating too
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Might look into JL Audio. They have really good sound for a really good price. And they take a beating too
Problem is with JL's subs, none of their 12" subs are optimized for small (.6 cubes) sealed boxes.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

and for the money there is better. ie Image Dynamics etc... jl audio subs LOVE big boxes.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

JL makes great stuff, but I think they are overpriced. Not to mention the only authorized JL dealer I know has two sales a year. The last one was a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

well if i had the money and a car that would fit them i would love to throw 2 13w6v2s in my car. and the authorized jl dealer where i buy my stuff sells a good amount of jl stuff. alot of rockford too.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

i had jl 10w3v2's before the id10's, and the id's kick the crap out of the jl's in my opinion.

but the jl's did sound good, not dissin them at all.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow you guys are hard on JL. If they suck so bad how come they are used in so many IASCA competition cars? Image dynamics subs are inefficient and generallly considered a SQ sub.

Lowering the QTC of the box to achieve a VAS low enough for .6 cubic feet is going to sound bad IMO anyways. You can barely fit the sub around the box. You can always try raising the Q by adding poly fill in the enclosure.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

IMO we are comparing two of the best companies out there anyways. from here its all a matter of personal opinion. and my vote for the best VALUE goes to ID. like i said before, if i had the room and the money, i would go JL. but since i have niether, there is no reason to not go with ID.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Will it sound decent in this box, or should I sell it and buy something else?
.Image dynamics subs are inefficient and generallly considered a SQ sub.
AronZ28 wanted a suggestion for a "decent sounding" sub, so I was trying to point him toward a SQ sub intended for the small box he has already purchased. The subs I linked to have been used with great results in F-bodies. The JL subs are alright, but they are space hogs as far as enclosure size goes, and a little $ for what they are.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Wow you guys are hard on JL. If they suck so bad how come they are used in so many IASCA competition cars? Image dynamics subs are inefficient and generallly considered a SQ sub.
**** man, i guess i was wrong. those jls must have sounded better and had more output than the image dynamics since you said so...

not.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Launching!

I have a JL DVC in my stealth box... RF amp @ 550w and it hits like a fukin sonic boom. Course I don't have an ID to compare it to but a friend who used to do Alpine comps says it sounds damn nice for a single sub.

Last edited by BigBadWolf; 03-11-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badhoopty
**** man, i guess i was wrong. those jls must have sounded better and had more output than the image dynamics since you said so...

not.

Im not going to argue since ID is obviously the best since you run them

I have NEVER....and I mean NEVER seen Image Dynamics win a SLP / DB DRAG contest.