Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pics of my new install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, and I thought about the Defrost vents also for a center channel, but decided against it. How do they image?

Just curious?

(Can't go wrong w/Memphis, but then again, I'm a bit partial as you may be able to tell from my webpages)
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
Very nice, and I thought about the Defrost vents also for a center channel, but decided against it. How do they image?

Just curious?

(Can't go wrong w/Memphis, but then again, I'm a bit partial as you may be able to tell from my webpages)
I run it on bypass + center most of the time. i haven't experimented with the surrounds that much yet as there's a TON of features on this head unit but i'll get around to that next and i'll keep you updated. probably sometime this weekend i'll get into the DSP's and others more.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice install

Great idea on the center channel.
Why did you use two?
Im assuming you lost your defroster with the baffle because you need to separate the front and rear waves?!

Remove the blue thing.
Tint the windows or get a cover for the rear subs. (people like to steal)
Old 03-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Nice install

Great idea on the center channel.
Why did you use two?
Im assuming you lost your defroster with the baffle because you need to separate the front and rear waves?!

Remove the blue thing.
Tint the windows or get a cover for the rear subs. (people like to steal)
thanks,

rather two centers than one more speaker better sound.
Defroster is 100% functional.
Blue thing is gone already.
when i fold up the cover over the subs the car looks stock. when closed it touches the speakers at high SPL only. so at lower volumes i don't have to lower the cover. "but it's usually at super vomlume so that doesn't help much" I'm going to move the cover an inch forward sometime next week so it can stay covered without touching. this way i wont have to open the hatch to lower it everytime i get in and out of the car...

still need to know where i can get metal vents for the outside of the car...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ILuvMyTransam
thanks,

rather two centers than one more speaker better sound.
Defroster is 100% functional.
Blue thing is gone already.
when i fold up the cover over the subs the car looks stock. when closed it touches the speakers at high SPL only. so at lower volumes i don't have to lower the cover. "but it's usually at super vomlume so that doesn't help much" I'm going to move the cover an inch forward sometime next week so it can stay covered without touching. this way i wont have to open the hatch to lower it everytime i get in and out of the car...

still need to know where i can get metal vents for the outside of the car...

Youll get alot better sound out of them if you seperate the front and rear waves with a baffle.

Why do you need metal vents?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Youll get alot better sound out of them if you seperate the front and rear waves with a baffle.

Why do you need metal vents?
Baffle?

I want the metal vents purely for look...i've seen this on a couple local TA's and liked the effect alot...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Isolation of the front and rear waves is critical in sound reproduction. A baffle is a barrier that separates these two waves. Without one the waves cancel each other out.

You can test this yourself.
Take a speaker without a box, hook it up and listen. It barley makes any sound at all because the waves are canceling each other out.
Now take that same speaker and separate the waves (usually in a box). Now you can hear the speaker making a deep rich sound.

Try it. You’ll be impressed.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

with the frequencies that are being used in the center 3 1/2" i didn't think that box was needed rather that free air would work fine. i was under the assumtion that a box is only required for lower frequencies.

regardless, it sounds very punchy and mixes in well BUT i haven't toyed with the surround capabilities as of yet...we'll find out...
Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

with the frequencies that are being used in the center 3 1/2" i didn't think that box was needed rather that free air would work fine. i was under the assumtion that a box is only required for lower frequencies.

regardless, it sounds very punchy and mixes in well BUT i haven't toyed with the surround capabilities as of yet...we'll find out...

Well youll get a full range of sounds from them if you seperate the waves thats all im saying. Im not saying to build a box. Just use a baffle in a free air application.

Every speaker needs a box due to wave cancellation no matter what frequency its reproducing. Tweeters have their own enclosure

Free air means you seperate the waves by use of a baffle. What makes it free air is you dont have a box
Old 03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you plan on moving it up an inch? I'm curious as I have a subthump t-top box and would like to have the flap cover my 3-10s up too. BTW, here's another vote for SubThump!

Old 03-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
How do you plan on moving it up an inch? I'm curious as I have a subthump t-top box and would like to have the flap cover my 3-10s up too. BTW, here's another vote for SubThump!

I'm planning on finishing that project up this week sometime. it's simple. get two C-Clamps and put them about an inch further away from the speakers and put the lock points of the cover into them instead. i'll post pictures when i'm done...$1 mod
Old 03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please do post some pics, I'm having trouble following you. I've wanted to put my flap back on for a while now!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

That is freakin soooooo nice looking.

May I ask how much this has cost you? I'm saving for a new engine and some other drivetrain suspension mods, but almost all my speakers are blown and I figure might as well throw some new sound into my car.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright the more i look at it the more i agree it looks cheap. i'll remove it. BUT i want to do more for this area with something...any idea's? also i want to modify the out side vents on the sides of the car to metal or colored. any idea where i can find something like this aftermarket? i've seen them on local TA's but never had the chance to ask one of them where to get the parts...

I'll ditch the wires...
i'm impressed. i think you are one of the first people on ls1tech to ever listen to other f-bodyers when it comes to fashion advice. nice job (btw, they were definitely right).

i think the system setup is great, too!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

which set up are you looking at? i think you're looking at InfiniteReality's set up and confusing it for mine. it all depends on what you want. i personally just wanted good sound without too much show off so i hid my amps and didn't do anything too special for look. although i think his looks great, i use this car for everyday driving and don't have a garage so getting everything to sound great and look somewhat stock inside was my main goals.

My set up was 7K out the door with alarm, remote starter (2 way) new speakers all around inside by eclipse custom subthump box three high output 10" subs two new amps. one 4 way and one mono for the subs at 2 ohms pushing 1100 watts by memphis audio. the head unit by kenwood (top of the line with DVD touch screen 7" moterized) Nav add on and sirius satelite radio and install by The Sound Advantage.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality

That looks good
Is it my eyes or does the two subs on the side have inverted dust caps where as the center is a dome?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep you are correct! I have two W3v2-D4's on the outsides and one W0 in the middle. Just had the W0 left over from the stealth box and ran outta money to put 3 W3's and a dedicated sub amp. Soon I'll have a 3rd W3v2 and a sub amp. My 2 four channel amps will be strictly for my 2 sets of components.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I smell Bi-amp.....I love the level of control w/this setup!

Just an awesome system, and we should have a battle of the "heavyweight F-bodies".
400# total over stock including dynamatting. Kiss your gas mileage goodbye (lol).
Actually, I only lost 1 mpg, so I guess I can live with that, but how is your car handling with these mods?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
I smell Bi-amp.....I love the level of control w/this setup!

Just an awesome system, and we should have a battle of the "heavyweight F-bodies".
400# total over stock including dynamatting. Kiss your gas mileage goodbye (lol).
Actually, I only lost 1 mpg, so I guess I can live with that, but how is your car handling with these mods?
Who are you speaking to?

Bi-amping, I'm assuming mine since at some point I will have 1-4 channel amp per component set, then one for the subs. I haven't noticed any difference in handling with the extra weight. I do have some dynamatting, I think 3 big sheets of it. Not near as much as you're car, but do have an okay bit.
I wonder how much it all weighs.. Umm, I'd have no clue a couple hundred pounds.. Dang, that's 2 tenths off my 1/4! I'll definitely take the sub box out next time on the strip! =)
Old 03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, sorry InfiniteReality, and it has cost me .4 sec at the track.

Last edited by Firehawk526; 03-23-2005 at 06:36 PM.