Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tweeter mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 03:07 PM
On The Tree

I answered my own question, he is still on fbodyaudio but not sure if he makes the pods still. Ill let everyone know when i get a pm form him.
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98'MidnightBlueBird'
mine are in my ac vents..... there a perfect fit...
The easiest /best place in an fbody for imaging is in the bottom of the A pillar near the windsheild.
Old 07-24-2006 | 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
The easiest /best place in an fbody for imaging is in the bottom of the A pillar near the windsheild.

how did you come to this conclusion? It seems to me teh sound stage would be in front of you and not coming at you. How did you mount them? Any pics?
Old 07-25-2006 | 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1

no offense dude. but you couldnt be any more wrong. stereo imaging is made worse the more out of phase the sound waves are. basically if your mids are at lets say 3 feet from left ear and 5 feet from right ear, your already fighting a losing battle, but to ontain a better image, you have no choice of where your sitting unless you want to make your car a one seater. so your goal is to keep the sound waves as equal as possible, i. e. the further away from your head= the less yours ears will hear the difference. so if you mount your tweets up on the dash, your actually making the sound from your left tweeter even closer to your left ear(or shifting your percieved balance more to the left) than the sound from the right tweeter. als ohigher frequency sounds diminish more quickly (more sound wave per sec) than low freq's do . so the higher freq's are more important for imaging. if you mount your tweeters low in your kickpanels, your making the diff between left and right less, wich provides a better sound stage. and basically you cant hear up and down only side to side(kuz your ears are on the side of your head not on top and bottom). but hey. what do i know?
Old 07-25-2006 | 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
no offense dude. but you couldnt be any more wrong. stereo imaging is made worse the more out of phase the sound waves are. basically if your mids are at lets say 3 feet from left ear and 5 feet from right ear, your already fighting a losing battle, but to ontain a better image, you have no choice of where your sitting unless you want to make your car a one seater. so your goal is to keep the sound waves as equal as possible, i. e. the further away from your head= the less yours ears will hear the difference. so if you mount your tweets up on the dash, your actually making the sound from your left tweeter even closer to your left ear(or shifting your percieved balance more to the left) than the sound from the right tweeter. als ohigher frequency sounds diminish more quickly (more sound wave per sec) than low freq's do . so the higher freq's are more important for imaging. if you mount your tweeters low in your kickpanels, your making the diff between left and right less, wich provides a better sound stage. and basically you cant hear up and down only side to side(kuz your ears are on the side of your head not on top and bottom). but hey. what do i know?

moving the tweeter to the far end of the dash (a pillars) is as equal as you can get distance wise.. You do NOT want one tweet in your face and the other 3 feet away facing the rear of the car.... but what do i know.. Ive just been installing professionaly for 3 years
Old 07-25-2006 | 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by b's90cam
how did you come to this conclusion? It seems to me teh sound stage would be in front of you and not coming at you. How did you mount them? Any pics?
I can take pics tomorrow.. I have a new set of Image dynamics chameleons to install tomorrow anyway. Any where on the door and your knee becomes a problem, You can do kicks, but as i mentioned earlier, the A pillar is the easiest without needing custom work or 129 dollar Qforms
Old 07-26-2006 | 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

i dont care how long you been inlstalling. you dont know jack apperently , if you think the dash is further away from your ears than your feet are!!!!

if you just said easiest place, i couldn't argue. but from from the best place. in my own systym i use mb quart seperates with the clip on tweeters so they fit behind the stock grills anyway. no fuss , no muss. easy as pie. also by useing clip on tweets your two drivers are less off axis with each other.

Last edited by leonpiper69; 07-26-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont care how long you been inlstalling. you dont know jack apperently , if you think the dash is further away from your ears than your feet are!!!!

if you just said easiest place, i couldn't argue. but from from the best place. in my own systym i use mb quart seperates with the clip on tweeters so they fit behind the stock grills anyway. no fuss , no muss. easy as pie. also by useing clip on tweets your two drivers are less off axis with each other.

Lets back track...I said the easiest /cheapest way to get good imaging is in the far end of the A pillar. You said Im wrong.. Then you tell me that you dont even have yours where YOU ADVISE INSTALLING THEM, then I notice you are a counter boy at Pep Boys who thinks he has knowledge.

But i dont know jack..."apperently"

If you havent figured it out..we are saying the same thing...Lets chill on the flaming.

Last edited by SSactionLs1; 07-26-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2006 | 10:24 AM
On The Tree

so......(akward silence) did you happen to get pics? If it's this hard to get some damn tweeters mounted, I'm just going to buy coazxal speakers or components with tweeter mounted inside the woofer. And what's this clip on tweeter thing?
Old 07-26-2006 | 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

no you said easiest/ BEST place. and im a comm mgr for advance auto. i was mecp certified for 4 years when i was a pup and worked as a pro intaller.

the BEST location IS the kick panels. i simply pointed out that i prefer my setup because it is even easier then mounting your tweeters in the a pillars as well as bettter. it may not yield as good of a stereo image as mounting in the kicks but i like my foot room.
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

any pics of how you got yours set up?
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

so......(akward silence) did you happen to get pics? If it's this hard to get some damn tweeters mounted, I'm just going to buy coazxal speakers or components with tweeter mounted inside the woofer. And what's this clip on tweeter thing?
Its not hard at all...If you are confused, simply take your tweeters, apply double sided tape on them, and mount them in several locations until you can close your eyes and not be able to tell where the sound is originating. Im not going to mount them till tonight, its 105 degrees out and on my day off ill be avoiding the heat.

Dont get coaxals....
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

no you said easiest/ BEST place. and im a comm mgr for advance auto. i was mecp certified for 4 years when i was a pup and worked as a pro intaller.

the BEST location IS the kick panels. i simply pointed out that i prefer my setup because it is even easier then mounting your tweeters in the a pillars as well as bettter. it may not yield as good of a stereo image as mounting in the kicks but i like my foot room.

We are saying the same thing here..... I personaly chose not to go kicks because i have a 6spd. And frankly, the sound difference between kicks and just using the stock woofer mount and A pillars isnt very noticeable at all..Expecialy for 99.99% of people.
Old 07-26-2006 | 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last edited by SSactionLs1; 07-27-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2006 | 01:28 AM
On The Tree

so did you just mount them in, cover it in filler around the edges to make it smooth, sand and paint? What kind of filler is that and what paint did you use? I think i may be going that route as Kevin @ fbodyaudio never responded to me.
Old 07-27-2006 | 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

so did you just mount them in, cover it in filler around the edges to make it smooth, sand and paint? What kind of filler is that and what paint did you use? I think i may be going that route as Kevin @ fbodyaudio never responded to me.

Kitty hair for structure, bondo for filler. Its realy an easy fast job.. Black satin paint..get some texture spray to help the factory look.
Old 07-27-2006 | 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I've never done any kind of bodywork before but im sure i can handle it. So... what's kitty hair? Sorry for the abundance of questions.
Old 07-27-2006 | 10:24 AM
On The Tree

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...t=29735&cat=37

THIS? It says it's for fibergalss repair.
Old 07-27-2006 | 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...t=29735&cat=37

THIS? It says it's for fibergalss repair.
thatL work..

its literaly like wet car hair..but it dries rock solid.
Old 07-27-2006 | 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey BrandonSS I would really like to konw where you got those tweeter pods at?

Quick Reply: Tweeter mount