Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help wiring Alpine SPS-170A's

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help wiring Alpine SPS-170A's

I am stumped on how to wire the speakers into my car. I have a '00 SS with monsoon, and I can't figure out which wires go where. I have read the sticky about this, but I have never done any wiring before and am confused by it. Can anybody tell me which wires go where? The only wires that came with the speakers were two sets of wires that plug into the speakers, from there, which wires go to where?? On the back of the speakers, there are two metal prongs that stick out, which side goes to the tweeter and which goes to the midbass?? Am I leaving anything out of this equation?? Do I need to pull the connector off of my factory speakers?? If so, which wires connect to the speakers wires??? thanks alot for any help, I know this might be a pointless thread, but I'm having problems and this is the best place to look.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
I am stumped on how to wire the speakers into my car. I have a '00 SS with monsoon, and I can't figure out which wires go where. I have read the sticky about this, but I have never done any wiring before and am confused by it. Can anybody tell me which wires go where? The only wires that came with the speakers were two sets of wires that plug into the speakers, from there, which wires go to where?? On the back of the speakers, there are two metal prongs that stick out, which side goes to the tweeter and which goes to the midbass?? Am I leaving anything out of this equation?? Do I need to pull the connector off of my factory speakers?? If so, which wires connect to the speakers wires??? thanks alot for any help, I know this might be a pointless thread, but I'm having problems and this is the best place to look.
The two prongs on the back of the speaker are the positive (the larger prong) and the negative (the smaller prong). There is not a seperate input for the mid and tweeter on that speaker. The best way to wire it is to the wires on the factory midbass, you will get more sound this way than if you wire it to the factory tweeter output. You are not going to have any really high end response with this setup, to solve that you can get a seperate tweeter and wire that to the tweeter output. I can't recall which colors are which in the door, but if you look at the sticky it should tell you. If you have any other questions just ask.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how would you suggest I wire them into the midbass?? i'm not too sure how your telling me to do this. am I gonna re-use the stock connectors, or what??
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Actually what people have been doing is disconnecting (either by cutting or de-soldering) the wires that go from the tweeter to the tabs (the wires inside the speaker itself). Then you connect the wires from the amp (the ones that were originally connected to the woofer, not sure of the color, but I thought it was in the sticky) to the prongs and then connect the loose wires from the tweeter to the other pair of wires. I have never done this but that is how it has been done. Basically you are wiring the the 2 seperate parts of the coaxial (2-way) speaker individually, and that is the only way it will sound decent. Appareantly the wires coming from the amp have the highs (the freq you need for the tweeters) filtered out, and the wires which originally powered the tweeters in the stock speakers, come straight from the radio and are too low power to drive the whole speaker.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So are you talking about the wires that are actually on the cone of the speaker underneath the metal prongs?? Or the wires that run from the magnet down onto the adjacent sides of the metal prongs?? Thanks for any help your willing to give, I'm grateful and basically an electrical idiot right now.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried this today, finally, and got it to work. The speakers are 100x's better than stock, and I would recommend this to anyone. Thanks alot to all those who helped me out.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

hrsepwraddict00......did you take any pics after you did the wiring?....

and explain what you did to get the door panels off, how many screws and where if you don't mind.......I have a set ready to go in my 01 because the crappy stock speakers are blown, and one shop allready said that they couldn't get the door panel off (idiots).....

Quick Reply: Need help wiring Alpine SPS-170A's