Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bass Gods of F-bodys needed! help my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bass Gods of F-bodys needed! help my camaro

I just blew up my second sub this saturday!(12"JL W6 almost 2 years old) My first sub to bite the bullet was a 12" Audiomobile MASS sub.(lasted alittle over a year) I was wondering if any of you guys know of a ported box and 12" sub that would work in the trunk in my SS. I'm looking for that clean block away bass . I'm running an oldschool rockford amp(500.2 model with a 500x2 at 2 ohms) Not alot of watts, but it was alot back in the days, when D-class amps were rare! My mid's & highs are all Boston stuff with a rockford amp running those. I'm not looking for a super custom built box, but a nice aftermarket box that fits in the trunk.(MDF) My old box was a sealed box and I want more bass. Music taste is old classic rock(Led,CCR,Jimi,and others) & rap(Wu,Pac,nwa, and old school hip-hop) I know it looks weird when you you read this. ! I hope this helps you help me. I hope my third setup will be my last one !Thanks for looking guys, now for the ideas...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

A better question is why are you blowing these subs.
is it heat related?
is it distortion causing the voice coils to heat up?
is it damage from the sun?

If it were me I would consider stepping up a size and going with biggers subs in a custom box. Two maybe three 15s and possibly some more power should be what your looking for.
I wouldnt worry about other people hearing your bass a block away. Just get what you like, what make you happy. They dont want to hear that anyways
Old 04-05-2005, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
A better question is why are you blowing these subs.
is it heat related?
is it distortion causing the voice coils to heat up?
is it damage from the sun?

If it were me I would consider stepping up a size and going with biggers subs in a custom box. Two maybe three 15s and possibly some more power should be what your looking for.
I wouldnt worry about other people hearing your bass a block away. Just get what you like, what make you happy. They dont want to hear that anyways
Your right about the hearing my music part! Some people give me the thumbs up or roll their windows up. My subs have both been under the hatch cover and in a decent size sealed box, but I did turn up the volume on the poor sub! I would guess its the heat. Both subs came apart from behind the cone area.(now I have $800 bucks of nice heavy paper weights !) I would like to stuff a 15" in the hatch, but where do I find a box for my deformed trunk? Nice Vette man...Clean!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Launching!

www.powered4sound.com Just look around for a while and see what you think. Oh yah i've already measured and most of their boxes fit in the t-top area even with the plastic holders in place. I'm driving up to the place on saturday to listen to how a bunch of different setups sound. Oh yah, make sure to watch the video's of the 6 1/2" woofers POUNDING!!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

In your case, your best bet would be to have one custom made and have your port tuned for the right frequency of whatever sub you choose. It sounds like you like it really loud so getting things exact is very key here. A prefab box with a generic airspace will not get you the loudness your looking for. The installers might even be able to keep the subs out of the direct sun light.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.subthump.com/acamaro.htm
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frontman
www.powered4sound.com Just look around for a while and see what you think. Oh yah i've already measured and most of their boxes fit in the t-top area even with the plastic holders in place. I'm driving up to the place on saturday to listen to how a bunch of different setups sound. Oh yah, make sure to watch the video's of the 6 1/2" woofers POUNDING!!
Holy sh$t! I was wondering if they have a snail shell that would fit in the trunk of my SS! I live in Cali and would love to find someone in my area that has this box or where I might be able to see one in action!Thanks Frontman