Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installation quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installation quality

I was looking at getting a viper alarm installed but I am torn at which place to have do it. What are somethings that I look for, or ask them?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're having a motion sensor installed ask them where they will mount the box! I had a Viper alarm installed in my daily driver Mustang and they mounted the motion sensor box on top of the console without saying anything. If they had asked me if that was okay I would have said yes but I would have appreciated it if they had asked me ahead of time if they could drill holes in my interior. I recommend the motion sensor though. If you walk by the car it will chirp three times. If someone is casing out your car looking for stereo or something and walks by it the car will chirp at them. If you crank the motion sensor up high enough it will actually go to full alarm if someone walks too close to it. Can't use that in a crowded parking lot but at your house it's great.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Launching!

check out this thread for some stuff on picking a shop:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/301019-questions-about-todays-remote-start-systems.html
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martingale
If you're having a motion sensor installed ask them where they will mount the box! I had a Viper alarm installed in my daily driver Mustang and they mounted the motion sensor box on top of the console without saying anything. If they had asked me if that was okay I would have said yes but I would have appreciated it if they had asked me ahead of time if they could drill holes in my interior. I recommend the motion sensor though. If you walk by the car it will chirp three times. If someone is casing out your car looking for stereo or something and walks by it the car will chirp at them. If you crank the motion sensor up high enough it will actually go to full alarm if someone walks too close to it. Can't use that in a crowded parking lot but at your house it's great.
You are talking about a prox sensor. and It can be mounted under the consol and out of sight. it works through plastic and glass. I agree that it is a good idea to add this to a alarm but I like it only hooked up to the warn away wire so a "paper in cup holder,hanging crap on mirror, ect..." will not set off the alarm. And there are adjustable srews on the sensor to change the level.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and on special cars I use all heat srink tubing on all wires to hide and protect wires.

On every car I twist the 10ga wire pairs together and tape main wires to look factory. Rule is all soider and tape every time. but on alarms tape all wires and hind or you just labeled all the start and power wires for the bad guy.

All wires should come of a group. Meaning bench prep the system and run gnd and light (twisted pair) the main wires toughter so when work is needed or panel removed it is clean and easy to work around, NOT a ball of extra wire.

I have had dealerships that realy never new a alarm/start was even on the car when they worked on the underdash electrics.

Last edited by Richiec77; 04-10-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

I have called around after looking at the other thread, all the places around here use 3-M connectors. Are these like a scotchlock connector? When they attach the brains, one place attaches it to a "hard plate" in the steering colum under the dash with zip ties, one place attaches with zip ties to a loom. One place says all associates are MECP the other place says that you don't need to be certified if you have experiance.

What do you folks think?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Launching!

I certainly would NOT have any of them working on anything that I wasn't selling tomorrow. A shop that goes the extra mile to do the things that 2FAST mentions is the only way to do it right, IMO. Then again, I'm biased because I worked at one of those shops. Bottom line: anything other than a real splice (not scotch-locks or crimps) is junk, and you WILL (can I emphasize that?) have problems. Get it done right if you care at all about your car - you obviously cared enough to come in here and ask, right?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI....I had my shop install the light in my center vent, so you don't ever see it except at night, and when activated, it flashes. IMO, conceal it if you can!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have mounted them in vents on high end cars. So people also like a scaning led light on the front window so it can be seen when walking away from the car or from the house.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

So in regards to the light, is it better to hide it so you don't advertise you have an alarm? Or is it better to put it in plain site to deter possible theft?

Would most places also install extra accessories after the install has been in for a few years or are the accesories something that has to be installed at the same time as the alarm?

Once again,
Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Ideally, you'd want any additional accessories installed by the shop that originally put the system in - each shop has a 'style', and they'll know where to hook things up without having to figure out what someone else did. So, to answer your question, it generally doensn't have to all be done at the same time, although it's better if it is (cleaner install).
Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Daley Is the man! word for word what I would say. If I ever see you at a meet I will buy you a beer! It is aways best to do all at one time. Ends in a cleaner nicer install if the right guy does it.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Daley Is the man! word for word what I would say. If I ever see you at a meet I will buy you a beer! ...

Amen brutha! Looks like I got a new drinkin buddy!!!

to you too!!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

After going to a few shops, I found a few places that splice and wrap the connections. One place sells skytell or skynet 2 way alarms for 250. A local chain store sells a python 2way for 400. Another smaller local shop, not MECP certified sells a viper equivelent for 500 wrapped special electrically taped and rezip tied. The smaller shop has pics of his work and competitors and his looks very good. Does a 100 dollars sound about right to take the extra time to have it "done right"?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does a 100 dollars sound about right to take the extra time to have it "done right"?

Yes but you never REALY know what you are going to get. There are some shops that use special wire splice " just wrap one wire around the other tape and ziptie" that is a NONO

The python and viper 2way LCD's are $200 at cost. If any of you guys are in the Michigan area Duke's Car Audio is rated best shop in the U.S. so check them out. If you are if you are local let me know I have many friends that own shops. That can do great installs. And I could point to where you could get this stuff cheaper
Old 04-14-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is always worht it to pay the extra Cash to get the install done right.

The type of install Daley described is the best type. And I can Vouch for 2FAST4U credentials. That is the Quitesential instal and definitly worth every penny.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
It is always worht it to pay the extra Cash to get the install done right.

The type of install Daley described is the best type. And I can Vouch for 2FAST4U credentials. That is the Quitesential instal and definitly worth every penny.

I totally agree cause one of the things an alarm can do is make your car immobile. It could be the difference your car starting or you being stranded