Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blown Speakers I think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blown Speakers I think?

OK here is my problem, the front speakers on the drivers side rattles real bad, I took my door panel off to change my window motor and it still did it, so I figure that it must be blown, my passenger side sail panel does nothing, it does not even move, and my passenger side rear speaker is real fuzzy. Would all these be signs that my speakers are blown, even though they are different or what would they mean.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it. Speakers do fail. When it happens it does it in afew ways:

1.) Zap. Nothing
2.) Letting the Smoke out (lol)
3.)Buzzing, and Sounds scratchy

Sounds like you've tried for all three.

Ya they're blow.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have an ohm meter you can flip the speaker over and test the ohms. Thats one sure way to find if its blown or not. More then likely they are.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so now that I know they are blown it is time for new speakers, what ones would you guys suggest, I am keeping the stock system and just want to swap out the speakers. I have heard Alpine or Infinity (6.5's) for the front. A friend told me to look into Audiobahn (6.5's) for the sail panel, he said he has heard they hit like 10" subs. And pretty much any cheaper (4") speaker like Pioneer or Rockford Fosgate for the rear. Is all this ok or what do you suggest with keeping the Monsoon amp and head unit.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on how much you want and how much your looking to spend. Infinity makes a good low cost solution. If your wanting to spend more, anything mb quart makes kicks ***. I personally would stay away from audiobahn.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not looking to spend that much, I want something that will hit kinda hard and sound good as well. Any suggestions are good, but keep in mind I am keeping the stock amp and head unit, so I want something that will sound ok with this. I am looking for some ideas and maybe even prices if you know them, thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Infinity makes about the best for the price that I have heard. They are really hard to beat, go listen to a pair and see if you agree
Old 04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the monsoon system, you may want to look at some Soundstream speakers, as they offer some speakers (or at least they used to) that are 2ohms, just like the stock ones, so you won't lose any power from your amp. and Boston Acoustics i think makes some speakers that are 3ohms, so you wouldn't lose as much power.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I am pretty sure I am going with the Infinities now, does anyone know if I can just cut the two stock wires and connect the two wires from the new speakers and be set to go in my Camaro, or am I going to need to follow the thread on replacing the Camaro Speakers and run the tweeters and woofers seperate. Thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

I can just cut the two stock wires and connect the two wires from the new speakers and be set to go in my Camaro, or am I going to need to follow the thread on replacing the Camaro Speakers and run the tweeters and woofers seperate.
If you have the monsoon system, there will be 4 wires when you remove the stock speaker. 2 go to the tweeters and 2 go to the woofer.
you should follow the thread about installing new speakers.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright thanks, I will hopefully be getting this done soon. I am a broke college kid so I am going pay check by pay check
Old 04-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

my drivers side door speaker and rear passenger side do the same. dunno why we both have the same speakers messed up, coincidence i guess.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

I just got done installing Alpines 6.5's in the front door panels. I have a stock monsoon sound system and its sounds really good. Can't beat it for a little over $70 a pair. It is kinda a pain to install so read the above thread on how to install the speakers.