Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fuses are brown

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuses are brown

the fuses in my fuse box are all brown colored where the metal meets the plastic on both prongs, im having electrical problems in the ipc and wondering if i should replace the fuses. other than the discoloration they are all making a circuit throughout the fuse. my real question is could the browned metal be causing a problem or is it normal to have the fuses look like that?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water loged or possible Flood Damage. Heavy, Heavy smoking. Normally it goes from The Color (plastic) to the Silver (metal). IPC?

The fuses normally don't look like that unless something above happened or there is massive heat from the junction.

Replacing them would only allow you to monitor them to see if will change again. I would Put a DVM on it to see what the resistance is, but I'm sure it will be normal.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default sounds possible

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Water loged or possible Flood Damage. Heavy, Heavy smoking. Normally it goes from The Color (plastic) to the Silver (metal). IPC?

The fuses normally don't look like that unless something above happened or there is massive heat from the junction.

Replacing them would only allow you to monitor them to see if will change again. I would Put a DVM on it to see what the resistance is, but I'm sure it will be normal.
the fuses are really tough to pull out, like they had been glued in.
IPC = instrument control panel (ipc/icp not sure)
ill try using a multimeter and see what that tells me

i just bought the car about 2 weeks ago so im just taking stabs in the dark here...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pull the carpet up and see if there is water under the carpet.
Do you have a car fax on the car? (even though thats not always 100%)
Im leaning towards water damage as well since all fuses are brown/blown and your having electrical problems.

Is it all fuses or all the fuses in one spot?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Pull the carpet up and see if there is water under the carpet.
Do you have a car fax on the car? (even though thats not always 100%)
Im leaning towards water damage as well since all fuses are brown/blown and your having electrical problems.

Is it all fuses or all the fuses in one spot?
Not sure, I didn't check under the hood. The fuses on the side of the dash board are all brown. I'll be able to check under the hood tomorrow. And no, I never got a CarFax. I bought it from a little dealership in town, supposedly it was owned by a cop its whole life and the interior is in exquisite condition.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a good place to start. You might start a thread over in here. I have seen where they run them for some people. Get that other fuse box checked out and let us know what you find out.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Teching In

hey if it's worth anything, neither of my WS6s have ever seen rain and the fuses have brown spots on the metal as well. I wondered myself "what caused this." But i have to say it's probably not water.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ramair
hey if it's worth anything, neither of my WS6s have ever seen rain and the fuses have brown spots on the metal as well. I wondered myself "what caused this." But i have to say it's probably not water.

You owned both from new? if so than that's a wierd issue.

I wouldn't know what else to think of unless they put a dielectric grease on the fuses that turns brown after awhile. I don't think GM did it. If anything, some dealers do this as part of their Detailing and Initial Inspection.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Factory uses maxi and mini fuses, they arent slo-blo fuses so they shouldnt turn brown. The brown, or burning, is caused by heat, water would be a factor. Thats why I suggested water damage.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Launching!

I'm leaning toward some sorta moisture damage too. Hard to believe the dealer would go thru the 'extra' step of greasing 'em, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear it. If nothing else, wiggle 'em real good to ensure a good connection. Yeah, they're tough to get in and out, but give it a shot - it's a no-money-spent diagnosis.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I'm thinking it also.

Quick question. Is it Discoloration or is there a material on the fuse?