Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadening Choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005 | 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Default Sound Deadening Choices

OK so I did some research on this an didn't come up with with the exact answer I needed. I recently had a sub put in and was looking to deaden the sound in at least the whole rear hatch area, including behind the spare tire, and the dirvers side well also. I read about several different options and was wondering which would be the best, and also what the ups and downs are to:

Sheet-type deadeners(Dynamat, Peal & Seal, etc.)
Spray-type (Dynasheild)
Paint-On (eDead v3)

TIA
Old 05-02-2005 | 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sheet-type deadeners(Dynamat, Peal & Seal, etc.)
You can get this type in the roofing department at Lowes. Cost is $13 for a 6" x 20' roll. It is called Peel & Seal. I have used it and works very well.
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
You can get this type in the roofing department at Lowes. Cost is $13 for a 6" x 20' roll. It is called Peel & Seal. I have used it and works very well.
I have used Fat Mat and it works great. Does this "pell and seal" have a bad oder?
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.dynamat.com/ makes several different options. Ive never used roofing material on a customers car.
Old 05-02-2005 | 06:19 PM
Launching!

The peal and seal works but it stinks up your car for about a week. Other than than the smell, the stuff works great.
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Forget Dynamat. Way too expensive.

RAAMmatt is great for the price. I use this currently and combined with Ensolite, its amazing.

I have heard great things about Fat Mat, but no personal experience

And eDead I've heard even more great things about, but no personal experience.

While I am a RAAMaudio fan boy since Rick the owner is such a good guy, I think mentioning at least two other reputable brands is only fair

Which ever choice you make, to properly quiet your interior, I recommend the Ensolite, or any other 1/8" closed cell foam. Ensolite though is by far the easiest to work with.

Search for my name mentioning this brand and you'll get a great how-to on this stuff.
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I used the Peel & Seal stuff, but it was calles Quick-Fix, and was called a "Gutter repair tape" Found it at Lowes near the asphalt shingles. I did my whole car, and it never smelled at all. Use that, then a layer 1/2" closed-cell foam rubber sheets (McMaster.com) Then re-install the carpet, and that should do the trick.
Old 05-02-2005 | 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Everyone, Trying to keep this going as well it could become very informational thread in the future. Anyone have any direct experience with the spray's or smear/paint on types?
Old 05-03-2005 | 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used the Roofing Patch and it doesn't work too well across large flat areas. I tried this out about 3 years ago and haven't gone back to it since. To me at 1st it was a God send for the Cost, but regular Dynamat was better. It was roughly $7 back then for the same size.

In smaller areas it works decintly, Not as good as Dynamat, but comes close and is a Lower cost alternative. I have an SPL car and I need the Most dampening that I could get and this stuff on the roof in a Double layer worked as good as regular Dynamat. But I was limited on Space to put the Stock Tweeded Headliner back in and could over due the thickness. This was it'd down siden to me.

BUT, My car is probably an exception or on the Extreme High side due to what it was desiged to be.

Oh. After I built and used the Car in N.Y., I was then stationed in Arizona. I had the Roofing Patcher in Multiple areas and It never Smelled or Ran anywhere I could see.
Old 05-03-2005 | 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

I have never had a problem with the peal and seal smelling. I have used it in several different cars and no smell.