Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU crossover or amp crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original question:

My question is should i use the crossover that is built into the headunit for the output signal or just have the amp crossover the work?

One party says:
Don't use two or more x-over circuits.

The other party says(namely you):
yes do it, it will double up your slope and make your system sound better.

So the discussion is whether Spy2520 should use one x-over or both inline to each other.

The answer would be to use one, specifically the amps built-in x-over.

Your discussion is trying to defend something way more advanced over the context of this thread.

I'm done here. There is plenty of good and sound advice in this thread from various enthusiasts.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

So i should use whichever is better (the amp). I got it.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
So i should use whichever is better (the amp). I got it.
do whatever sounds best.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You changed your point. You were saying that it's OK to run to simultanous x-over circuits. NO. You don't want to. Here is your respons just in case you forgot.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
that's silly advice. use both for further attentuation. if the amp provides a 12 db/oct slope and the HU provides a 12 db/oct slope, use both crossovers and get a 24 db/oct slope. i use both crossovers and i prefer them both being used simultaneously. i have no idea why YOU SHOULDN'T USE BOTH.
But in that explaination below, YES. But you are not summing circuits. You still have Phase Lag, but that is easily over come with polarity changes.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
a component set carries a crossover to wire both the tweeter and midwoofer into, so does that mean you turn your amp crossover off when you run components? no, becaues then you can't cut off the low frequencies that run to your component mids.
To explain Phase lag is to have a speaker Flip-Flop 180 deg out of phase. Every 6 dB slope change is related to 180 degrees of lag. That is why most Manufactures don't mix to Large Slope changes. (ie. 1st order(6dB) and a 4th order(24dB) for a Passive x-over for mids and Tweets)

You can simulate 180 deg's phase change by switching the + and - teminals. If a Battery is placed accross the leads; +to+ -to-, the speaker moves out. +to- the speaker moves inward. This simulates in reality that the speaker is now 180 deg's out of phase (or synch) with the system. Based on Frequency determines the Time legnth of the Lag.

Also, I'm going to change what I put for my cliff notes. It is misleading.

I'll say the Amps X-over again for clarity.

Last edited by Richiec77; 05-12-2005 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, rich, i think we might as well come to terms to agree to disagree. by throwing a signal through 2 crossovers, i think you are not going to hurt a signal nearly as bad as you believe. i think you are speaking on technical terms here only, whereas i know this from experience and through talking with my friends who compete with their stereos on a year-to-year basis. not that this fact necessarily gives my view any more credibility, but even sometimes moderators can be incorrect

Quick Reply: HU crossover or amp crossover?