Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Ideas for Hiding Stereo Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Ideas for Hiding Stereo Stuff

Anybody have any ideas for hiding amps and stuff? All my stuff is currently on display in my hatch area, i was thinking of just getting a dark towel to cover everything since my hatch window already has 15% tint.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Depending on how small the amp(s) are, you can mount one where the factory monsoon amp goes, or behind the panel at the rear of the trunk well. That area is big enough for quite a bit, and it's well-hidden. Nobody knows anything's there even when the hatch is open - that's why I like it.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Limo Tint!!!

lol, j/k....but yeah, just mount the amp(s) on the rear wall of the hatch area, and a sub in the driver's side, then just keep the little tonneau cover in place, and unless you crank it up, no one will ever be the wiser
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

or take out the rear seats and make custom boxes to go where the seats used to be, and mount the amp on the back part where the top of the seat used to be, and paint that **** black so it blends in
Old 05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

My ***** gonna be a little bigger than that. The subs will take up the trunk area and so far i have two good sized amps and two capacitors that i want invisible, maybe a 007 style cloaking device will do the trick.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stealth box and hide the amp on the rear wall.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Depending on how big the amps are we have put them on the back wall of the hatch so when its closed you cant see them. And your still able to get your t-tops in and out. Especially useful when combined with a stealthbox.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with madboost about building a custom enclosure (maybe mirror style) that can fold in when the trunk closes, but definitly do not just throw a towel over your subs and amps,...they throw plenty enough heaqt themselves!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

The towel would only be there at night or at times when my car would be unused and exposed for long periods of time. I never planned on using it while i was in the car. Right now i have my one amp and two caps mounted in the hatch area, with space on the passenger side for my other amp that'll be here on monday. The subs are two 12" subs in a custom box that pretty much fill the trunk. The subs are hidden because of the hatch. The two amps and caps take up almost 100% of the hatch area. I have a hardtop so t-top storage is not an issue but there will be no mounting the amps in a location where they will be hidden due to the fact that i have a sub box that takes up the trunk. I am almost considering something like a cover that could mount over all of my amps. I'm not worried about the subs but the amps must be covered. I painted the caps flat black so they are fairly invisible under my tinted hatch, the thing is they are mounted in between the two amps.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a couple other considerations:

1) construct a "false floor" in the rear hatch area that's carpeted like the factory carpet, with removable covers for the amps/caps, or

2) obtain a spare back part of the rear seat, hollow the back of it out and build an amp rack that houses the amps/caps in the back of the rear seat....that way, the rear seat is still functional (well, for short people anyway...), and when the back of the rear seat is in its normal position, nothing can be seen. when you want to show it off, fold the seat down, and there's your amps/caps.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2 jl audio 300/2's 1 jl audio 1000/1 & a alumapro 15 farad cap; all stuffed into an amp rack made using the existing factory seat back brackets & leather. It's been there for a few years now with no issues of any kind. I put two jl aduio 12's each in it's own enclosure; One on the driver side pocket & the other where the spare used to go. Excluding the spare, no room or functionality lost, and with the exception of the visable subs when the hatch is open, it's all out of the way. So get creative, you can hide a large amount of equipment in these cars if you look. Here's a directory list of pictures to help give you some ideas.

http://www.mobius1.net/Stuff/firebird/install/Second/
Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by richieg
2 jl audio 300/2's 1 jl audio 1000/1 & a alumapro 15 farad cap; all stuffed into an amp rack made using the existing factory seat back brackets & leather. It's been there for a few years now with no issues of any kind. I put two jl aduio 12's each in it's own enclosure; One on the driver side pocket & the other where the spare used to go. Excluding the spare, no room or functionality lost, and with the exception of the visable subs when the hatch is open, it's all out of the way. So get creative, you can hide a large amount of equipment in these cars if you look. Here's a directory list of pictures to help give you some ideas.

Now thats a hidden system!!!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by richieg

Do you have any kind of ventilation in the system? Why did you use different quality RCA cables through out the system? Did you ever finish the kick panels or did you just cut them out?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had some fans at first, but never used them. Later I took them out. To this day, I've never had an over heating problem. The key to keeping everything cool is just making sure the the amps get all of the voltage they need, hence overkill in extra wiring & the 15 farad cap. & I guess also keeping a 4 or more ohm load to the amps helps too. I used different rca's simply because I used what I had in my big tub o' rca cables from older systems. It's all good stuff though, Phoenix gold zero point & fosgate whitewolf series for the bulk of the system. & just cheap stuff for the videogames & tv tuner. & Yes I finished the kicks but later took them out since the sealed door enclosures did the job better than the 8 in the door unsealed + the 6 in the kick. If you browse that link & go up a directory, there's pictures in there somewhere of them along with a list of all the other stuff crammed in the car. I just hope no stereo thieves are reading.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

damn thats a system. i don't think i want to know how much money you have in that system. whats the total wattage?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Launching!

My plan is to get some acoustically transparent material, and sort of toss it over everything. Shouldn't retain much heat, works fine over speakers, etc.

I had a steal setup in my POS Prelude for a while. Thousands of dollars of equip in that beater. Nobody had a clue it was even there, until I put my faceplate on then they looked shocked when it sounded like a concert hall.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 TINT to eliminate/reduce the harmful UV rays/heat from the rear window.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
#1 TINT to eliminate/reduce the harmful UV rays/heat from the rear window.
I already tinted mine, but the amps are black anf brushed aluminum and you can still see them. Tint is 15%.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fricked state laws are queer as I don't know what!! I live right on the border of MD/DE and in DE, you can tint as dark as you want from B-pillar back, but in MD you can tint driver/pass side back, but w/restrictions (% tint). UNLESS you have a medical waiver, which oddly enough, many ppl do....(lol)

I too, have brushed black (Memphis), but amazingly enough you cannot see through w/o getting right on top of them. (darkest available tint)
Biggest problem I face are the A-pillar tweets which have no protection, so I am constantly considering parking location to avoid direct sunlight.......what a PITA!

Quick Reply: Need Ideas for Hiding Stereo Stuff