Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD Changer Wiring Harness: which wire is switched power?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer Wiring Harness: which wire is switched power?!

I'm trying to finish my latest install, and I used the remote wire on the sub RCA's to be the switched +12v source. Well, needless to say I am picking up a HUGE amount of engine whine through the subs. This is the first time trying to use that remote wire within the RCA's, and it's the LAST! I cannot even begin to imagine why the hell they do that!

Anyways, to save me time, and more time ripping the car back apart, I was thinking to use the switched +12v source from the cd changer cable, since I no longer have the stock changer. Does anyone know which colored wire is the switched source, if there is one?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:39 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like there's a power wire coming from the fuses to the changer which is orange, and a 'System On' signal wire controlled by the radio which is dark green
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, i guess i'll go ahead and check with my handy dandy multimeter. was just trying to save a little bit o' time (decrease car time, increase beer time!)
Old 05-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here but your signature shows an aftermarket HU (Alpine 9847). The stock CD changer harness connects directly between the changer and the stock HU (power is on the dark green wire but it is battery supply - not switched). Since you don't have the front end of the harness plugged into a factory radio there will be no power, ground or signal at all in any of the changer harness wires.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the Orange wire is hot all the time, regardless if anything was plugged in. I was simply looking for an easy way around having to run another wire to the back of the car. That explains why the green wire was getting no power. Either way, gonna have to run a new remote wire...