Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subs in rear and still stow away t-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
what did you do about the rattles and the enclosure. i know its been done before but i dont think its the best way to go about it. 6.5" arent as efficient and dont hit as low. but to each his own right?

jacob

EDIT: do you have any pics of that install?
There are no rattles. The subs come with a rubber surround which I used when I mounted them to the sheet metal. This also provided about 1/4" of clearance so the backside of the sub won't contact the inner brace. So no rattles yet. As for the enclosure, I used the factory enclosure: the quarter panel. I never knew that space was there until I pulled out the old 6.5's. It's enough air space for those little JL's. I don't know about the best way to go about it, but I'm kind of experimenting here. I'm trying to get decent (not ground pounding) bass without adding much weight to the car. With these subs, some components, an amp to run both sets and removal of the monsoon speakers & amp, I'm hoping for very little weight gain. If I get it installed & tweaked and am not happy, I'll end up going with a stealth box on each side and a monster Autotek Bass Thrust 7600 I've been saving for just such an occasion. So basically, I'm just having fun with it. As for pictures, none yet. I can take some but it's really not that interesting. It's just JL 6.5's mounted in the factory sail panel location. I had to get creative with the mounting hardware since I did not want to cut/drill my car. But otherwise, it's just a basic speaker replacement.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

What if you have t-tops AND the factory CD changer...where to put the subs then?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigE
There are no rattles. The subs come with a rubber surround which I used when I mounted them to the sheet metal. This also provided about 1/4" of clearance so the backside of the sub won't contact the inner brace. So no rattles yet. As for the enclosure, I used the factory enclosure: the quarter panel. I never knew that space was there until I pulled out the old 6.5's. It's enough air space for those little JL's. I don't know about the best way to go about it, but I'm kind of experimenting here. I'm trying to get decent (not ground pounding) bass without adding much weight to the car. With these subs, some components, an amp to run both sets and removal of the monsoon speakers & amp, I'm hoping for very little weight gain. If I get it installed & tweaked and am not happy, I'll end up going with a stealth box on each side and a monster Autotek Bass Thrust 7600 I've been saving for just such an occasion. So basically, I'm just having fun with it. As for pictures, none yet. I can take some but it's really not that interesting. It's just JL 6.5's mounted in the factory sail panel location. I had to get creative with the mounting hardware since I did not want to cut/drill my car. But otherwise, it's just a basic speaker replacement.
man i wish i lived by you. i wanna hear that setup! you definately get a A+ for creativity.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamjunkie
What if you have t-tops AND the factory CD changer...where to put the subs then?
Depends if you want to keep your spare or not.

I used a driver side stealth box and installed the cd changer on the passenger side. Here are some pics.

http://www.carstereo.com/installs/ph...&galleryid=753
Old 06-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

If your interested in a subthump mill house box which they no longer make I am selling mine, It already has a single JL10w6v.2, Its charcoal grey with the SS logo embossed in the vinyl. The enclosure was designed for that sub. I am selling it for 300 together, 100 for the enclosure and 200 for the sub, both in mint condition. Buyer pays shipping if necessary. Figure since I no longer have the SS maybe someone else can benefit.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Defenitly go with Subthump Their T-Top box hits.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SVC707
your better off with the subs in a t-top box just because of the hatch which makes it much louder. this setup does help you keep trunk space though.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

until you've heard it you cant assume that!!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

until you've heard it you cant assume that!!!!
lol... its really a science of the matter that i honestly know little about. the shape of our cars is what makes them acoustically one of the best cars for car audio. there is a HUGE difference between putting the subs in the hatch and in the back seat. if you would like to know more about this, visit fbodyaudio.com and ask for mike latcher. he'll tell ya everything ya need to know about that.

jacob

ps- i'm not doubting that your system doesnt sound great, i'm just passing along info that i have acquired from other sources.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

its cool i know it knocks and so does eveyone else thats heard it. plus my many advantages to having there.

"go against the grain"
Old 06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

What happens if your t-tops are in the sub enclosure and you stop short, or go over a big bump, whats going to happen? Will it smash into the hatch? pop out? What secures the t-tops and keeps them seperated?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

"go against the grain"
good philosophy to live by
Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lubricant
What happens if your t-tops are in the sub enclosure and you stop short, or go over a big bump, whats going to happen? Will it smash into the hatch? pop out? What secures the t-tops and keeps them seperated?
I've had my T-top box for over a year and I have never had a problem with the t-tops even moving. I think you would have to catch air to get the tops to move.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

hehe, well, in ny its possible to catch air everywhere with the bullshit bumpy roads we have!
Thanks for your info!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lubricant
hehe, well, in ny its possible to catch air everywhere with the bullshit bumpy roads we have!
Thanks for your info!
and that goes for new jersey as well, not so much as NY though
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

I'm def. getting that Subthump box!! thanks for that linky

The amp goes under the driver or passenger seat.. I hope that'll be ok!!

Later on, when I get another amp for the speakers, I'll def. get their amp rack and re-do the amps there... but for now, the stealth box enclosure does it!

Also, I was checking out the EDesigns subs... which one do you guys recommend ? http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=subs&cur=USD

I'm thinking about the 11Kv.2 Subwoofer .. What do you all think about that ?

Any other ideas/recommendations on Subs.. ?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RahuL
I'm def. getting that Subthump box!! thanks for that linky

The amp goes under the driver or passenger seat.. I hope that'll be ok!!

Later on, when I get another amp for the speakers, I'll def. get their amp rack and re-do the amps there... but for now, the stealth box enclosure does it!

Also, I was checking out the EDesigns subs... which one do you guys recommend ? http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=subs&cur=USD

I'm thinking about the 11Kv.2 Subwoofer .. What do you all think about that ?

Any other ideas/recommendations on Subs.. ?
do you have a amp yet? i recomend the Image Dynamics ID10. its a small sub that isnt the loudest thing in the world but has AMAZING sound quality. the reason i ask if you have a amp yet is cause these things love to blow if you put to much power to them. i doubled the recomended wattage and blew my first one the first day. my next sub will be a EDesign 13ov.2. but i recomend the ID10 just cause i know for sure it sounds good. i'm sure the EDesign sub will sound just as good though
Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwikz28
the reason i ask if you have a amp yet is cause these things love to blow if you put to much power to them. i doubled the recomended wattage and blew my first one the first day.
Don't most subs require a break in period before you can really crank them up?

I recall reading on here or elsewhere that a 20 hr break in period is typical. During this time, you should not exceed mid to moderate volume levels.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Don't most subs require a break in period before you can really crank them up?

I recall reading on here or elsewhere that a 20 hr break in period is typical. During this time, you should not exceed mid to moderate volume levels.
you are absolutely correct. but thats like buying a brand new sports car and resisting banging gears. the temptation is just too much to resist needless to say i had that sucker at full volume on the first drive