Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting the amp here... good idea or not? Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mounting the amp here... good idea or not? Gas Tank?

I haven't seen an amp installed in this location. Is it an entirely bad idea to mount the amp in this spot?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...8/IMG_1715.jpg

Also, if I install it on the flat platform behind the rear seats and not shown as above, how do you mount it there?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that if you do mount it there, to be EXTREMELY carefull of the gas tank. You certainly don't want your system to BOOM that much.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering this location too. I crawled under the car today to examine how much room there is. From what I can tell, there's at least an inch if not even 1.5 inches between the gas tank and the trunk.

I would mount a board to the trunk, then mount the amp on the board. I got some 1/2" MDF board I'll likely be using, so I'll prob get 3/4" sheet metal screws to secure the board to the trunk, maybe 1" screws to take into account the carpet thickness and trunk thickness.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we talked about this already on AIM but thats exactly where I put mine , used some self tapping sheet metal screws (1/2") and just screwed it right in, the heads of the screws ended up being just slightly less than 1/4" away from the gas tank I think im going to grind them down though or get some shorter ones so I can be MORE comfortable with them being so close to the gas tank but right now I'm not so worried :-p