Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subthump

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bear in mind that he charges $270 for a damn box though, too. I've been asking around at a lot of other car audio forums and all of them told me to get my money back because the guy was WAY too high on his prices. I think I'll end up building my own but if I don't I can still get a good ported box for $120 tops from some good box builders. They'll even throw in slot ports and 1.5 cubic feet per sub or more. See, there are cool people out there. You just have to look hard to find them.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fst_phx
What i think everyone is missing is that he paid for a specific box, not a custom built job. When building a box the same way over and over you would be able to make minor modifications like whole diameter, color of carpet etc., but to ask for a complete redesign while spending the money for the basic box, is a rediculous expectation.
Exactly my point. Someone finally sees the other point of view.

There is a certian protocal for getting someting built custom versus ordering a production unit. You have to contact me and see if I can even do it first of all. If you would have asked me if I could do a 3 cu.ft. slot port t-top box, I would have said no anyhow. For the same reasons I listed before.

If you want a custom slot ported box, don't go on the website and order a production unit. They are not the same and the prices will be much different on a fully custom piece. On custom units we need to agree beforehand. So you know the price and I know exactly how to make it.

Just like when Silver98camss ordered his milhouse. He called me up and told me exactly how he wanted it done. We agreed on price--which was different from my production model (due to the custom alteration). I shipped it to him and he was very pleased .

I try to help you guys out the best I can and I have worked very hard for the f-body community for the last 5 years. I am a friendly easy going guy and I enjoy this. When your order came thru, I honestly thought you had changed your mind and the standard sealed box was going to be okay and I didn't give that comment much thought because it said "try" to get.

But when you threatened me by calling the credit card people, that really set me off. Totally unnecessary IMO. All you have to do is ask nicely. I was really hoping you'd take my advice and go with the sealed version because they sound very good that way. I even thought we were okay to continue at one point when you sent me this...

"I'm sorry for coming across like I wanted extra stuff for free. Its just that I'm used to seeing $70-$100 boxes so I thought I could ask for a couple different things on a $270 box. If you say 1.1 per sub will be fine then I'll take your word for it. I'm sorry for the trouble and thank you for the extra work to make it hold the subs better."

But then you changed your mind again.

No, nevermind. I asked for something and did not get it. Not only did I
not get it, I also asked that you contact me if you couldn't do it, which
you did not. That form may have been for car color/year but it also had an
area for comments. I've already contacted my bank about the charge but they
haven't done anything yet. Please refund my money or build the box the way I
want it. If you've already shipped this box I'll refuse delivery. Hopefully
my bank will be able to refund my money if you won't. I'm tired of asking
for things and getting something completely different. For $270 I should be
able to have a box built the way I want it.

At this point, you confused the hell outta me and I've got tons of other things to do, so as you requested, you got your funds back.

I know you want me to be the bad guy so you you and the others can gang up on me. But it isn't like that. I've helped many out over the years, and will continue to do so to best of my ability.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where's the money? Its not in my account, thats for sure.

Still you could have done something like this: Email me or call me to explain that a truly custom box is $400 or whatever and no mods will be made to the production units. Either that or tell me that you can't do what I want and I would just cancel the order. Please forgive me for not being able to totally understand your thinking and the way you perceive things. If you were my customer and you asked for that stuff, even if it was in a comments section, I would have responded and said that it would be more $$$ or that I couldn't do it. I would not have just completely ignored it and built what you specifically asked me not to.

I was just going to let it go after that email that I apologized in but then I thought since I'm paying $270 for a box that I will not settle for less than what I want. I was under the impression that you were going to go ahead and send me the sealed box and not refund my money so I immediately went to my bank to take action. They then told me to reject the package when/if it came and that they would take care of the rest.

I was under the impression that you did custom boxes for f-bodies for $270. I should have called and asked what the price would be for a regular well box that is 3 cu. ft. with slot ports but I didn't. I'm willing to bet you would have charged a lot more though.

Even though I put that request in the wrong place, you could have at least done something like this: "Customer, I will not be able to build the box you requested to your specs. Therefore I am cancelling your order and refunding your money. I apologize for the inconvenience but these are "sealed only" units."
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I can understand both sides of the argument, but the biggest thing being overlooked here is that communication is key, I don't know about you, but if I order something on line that is not ordinary or standard, I make sure I speak with someone and convey what I want. e-mails aren't always checked in time either. Subthump has grown a lot over the last couple of years, not in size but in production, they make a great product, the reason we pay so much is because they use the best materials, if you were quoted a price of a 180 bucks for the box I bet it doesn't have the same precision and quality of materials and I bet the whole box is carpeted, subthump uses vinyl on the exposed surfaces, They do great work, remember you get what you pay for and always make sure when you order something to speak with someone, just don't rely on e-mail or messages they get lost or misplaced.

-banks also may take a day or two to catch up with posting credits to the account, My bank is always a day or two behind with that stuff, be patient
Old 07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

I definitely think that communication was the problem on both sides, but the email responses by the company were COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL. I have seen pics of the work done by subthump and they seem to be of high quality and great looking but after reading those replies from megabass I would not order a product from him no matter how great the deal is.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

He may be great for you. Just learn from this thread and make damn sure the two of you are CRYSTAL CLEAR about what you want done with your box. That was unprofessional but then again, he is the main guy there. He can conduct his business in any way he sees fit.

Let me try to think about what I typed in the comments box. I believe it was pretty much this: "JL Audio suggests that the 10W7 enclosure should be 1.5 cu.ft. per sub in a ported enclosure with "slot" style ports. Please try for 1.5 cu.ft. because JL Audio says that is optimal space. If you have any problems or questions please call or email me."

Now that is not word for word but that is basically what I put in the comments box. Was that so bad? Would you have at least responded to that to your customer before you started building the box? I would have and that is my main problem with subthump.

I know that I should have called or emailed what I put in the comments box to him instead of putting it in the comments box but I didn't. He still should have thought, "He put this in the wrong place but it looks like a request that he is serious about. I better contact him and let him know that I can't do it the way he wants without some changes." That would have saved a lot of trouble.

Last edited by FLeXNuTZ; 07-21-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

This is really turning into a pissing contest guys. I have a box from subthump and am happy. A comparable box from jl was way more and too much. It took a little while to get but that's fine. I'm using an infinity refrence 10 sub which may not sound as good as a reccomended jl, but it works. I don't think anybodys gonna be helped by this going back and forth. There definitelt was a breakdown in communication and this whole mess probably could have been handeled differently by both sides. I'm not sure if a public thread would have been the right place to do it from either side. I thought these things were supposed to help people make constructive descisions not end up berating to the extent this has gone.
I guess most people can make a descision whether or not to buy from this guy or not. And I guess the old added is true for both sides. "You could serve Iice cream in hell and someone will bitch about the flavor" heh.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What on his site lead you to believe that you could just send some money and he would re-design something for you? To me in any situation where money is exchanged, be it on the internet or in person, you don’t just hand over some money for something you believe to be a custom job. There is a certain amount of communication that must be involved on the buyer’s part as to what he expects, and then price can be discussed by both parties.
I think it is ridiculous that you would come on here and slander a very good guy about the way you think he should run a business. Your views, although I respect them because we all have rights to our own, are very immature.
I have absolutely no problems with megabass. I have and will to continue to recommend him to anyone that needs a box.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sorry, I'm young and inexperienced. I really can't explain it any better than that but I have had customer service jobs before where the customer made a mistake of some kind. Big or small, I always brought it to their attention in the nicest way possible and offered suggestions to keep them happy. I didn't ignore them not only because I can't do that to someone, I also wanted to keep my job. Me being young and inexperienced, I saw $270 for a subwoofer box and thought that I could have whatever I want for that kind of money. I'd probably **** my pants if he gave me a price for what I really wanted, lol. I've PMed several people at some of the various car audio forums (much like this one is for LS1Tech) and they all told me that they could do what I want, just as good as subthump, for no more than half of what he charges for a standard box. Maybe this thread should be merged with the other one about problems with subthump so I won't feel like I'm such an unfair person. I'm currently dealing with a paint job and body work on my Camaro that look horrible and I'm tired of people trying to bend me over. I have to put my foot down sometime and this is when I chose to do it. When I emailed him and he said it was a sealed box and its almost ready to ship I pretty much snapped, wondering WTF he didn't let me know that he couldn't do what I wanted. I basically took that as a slap in the face when he completely ignored/disregarded my request, regardless of me sending it via a comments box or smoke signals. What matters is that he did get my request as stated in his post above.

Last edited by FLeXNuTZ; 07-21-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is very odd. Steve and I go back a while, I've sent a few guys his way and they've never had issues like this. He's even done custom work for a friend of mine's S10, both he and I were very pleased with the outcome. I've even met Steve in person and he let me tour his shop. He's always treated me fair and everyone I've sent to him.

I hope everything works out
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Too bad I wasn't one of those customers. I should have gone about the ordering process a different way though, I'll admit that.