Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do I make my fog lights able to stay on with brights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did this mod today. Owned the car for 5 years and not once felt like doing this mod until I had some spare time today and thought "well, what easy mods do I have left to do?". Thanks WhiteBird!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want my foglights on without my headlights having to be on at all as well. will this mod allow this to work as well? Just turn on my foglight switch and my fogs come on (ignition on as well of coarse )
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No, the foglights are still powered by the headlight circuit so you must have at least the parking lights on for the foglights to work.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the foglights are still powered by the headlight circuit so you must have at least the parking lights on for the foglights to work.
what if I re routed the power to the relay as well?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My fogs turn on when I turn the dial the the parking lamps (which is just the same light as the DRL) and the headlights stay down and off.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You would have to replace the power to both the relay and the switch with an ignition switched source. Note that in many states it is illegal to run driving or fog lights without the running/parking lights (which is why they're wired that way from the factory) although with the increasing use of DRLs it's not likely you would get stopped for this. I still wonder why you would need or want such a modification.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
My fogs turn on when I turn the dial the the parking lamps (which is just the same light as the DRL) and the headlights stay down and off.
yes but your taillights and sidemarkers are on and the dashboard dims.

You would have to replace the power to both the relay and the switch with an ignition switched source. Note that in many states it is illegal to run driving or fog lights without the running/parking lights (which is why they're wired that way from the factory) although with the increasing use of DRLs it's not likely you would get stopped for this. I still wonder why you would need or want such a modification.
I dont have foglights but my car is wired for it and I ran the foglight wires to my driving lights built into my aftermarket headlights, the halos and led strip. I wish like to have them on with ignition all the time but be able to be turned off with my foglamp switch.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's basically the same on the Camaro except that the fog light switch is wired differently. The ON indicator light in the switch on the Camaro is also wired to ground through the headlight circuit so it goes out when the high beams are on. Using the same instructions as above for the Firebird will allow the fog lights to stay on with the high beams but the ON indicator won't show that they are still on when you use the high beams.

To fix this you will have to pull out the fog light switch. You will find five wires on the switch connector - brown, light green, gray, yellow, and black. Cut the light green wire and connect the switch side to a ground in the dash somewhere. Tape up the other side to prevent shorts. Now the indicator light will work even when the high beams are on.

pics of what exactly I'm looking for here...?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Why would you need pictures of a Camaro switch for your T/A?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whoops... I think I misquoted the text,
I ment to ask for the TA version, my bad whitebird
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, I don't have any photos. However, once you locate the fog light relay in the junction box under the hood, the rest is pretty straight forward. You'll see the relay is labeled so you just look under that relay and find the four wires connected to it. One of those wires is light green. Cut that wire leaving enough slack to work with. Tape up the cut end that goes into the vehicle harness. Add some additional wire to the cut end that goes to the relay so that you can make it reach a good ground such as a mounting screw or something similar. For Firebirds that's all you have to do... providing that constant ground for the relay will allow the fog light to work whether the high beams are on or not.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I don't have any photos. However, once you locate the fog light relay in the junction box under the hood, the rest is pretty straight forward. You'll see the relay is labeled so you just look under that relay and find the four wires connected to it. One of those wires is light green. Cut that wire leaving enough slack to work with. Tape up the cut end that goes into the vehicle harness. Add some additional wire to the cut end that goes to the relay so that you can make it reach a good ground such as a mounting screw or something similar. For Firebirds that's all you have to do... providing that constant ground for the relay will allow the fog light to work whether the high beams are on or not.
The side that goes back into the fuse box is the side I need to ground?

Last edited by Fosnot; 09-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that is correct.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still need to do this mod on my Camaro and will snap some pictures for reference. The description makes perfect sense, but some are visual learners.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I know its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread but for a 1996 trans am how would one do it?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't have accurate schematics for your 96 T/A but I suspect the fog light relay wiring is the same as on later models. A 96 Camaro schematic I found online shows the relay using the same light green wire so I see no reason why a Firebird would be different.

If the colors are different, it's pretty easy to determine which wire to ground using a test light or multimeter.

The circuit is designed to turn off the fog lights while the high beams are on by robbing the relay coil of ground. It does this by having the relay coil ground through the high beam bulb power circuit. When the high beams are off, the small amount of current going to ground from the relay can easily pass through the high beam lamp filament without making the lamp illuminate. When you turn on the high beams, there is now power rather than ground on the ground connection of the relay so the relay de-energizes and the fog lights turn off.

To find the correct wire, first find the relay and identify its four wires. Then use a test light or multimeter to find which wire has ground when the high beams are off and power when they're on. Cut that wire, tape up the end that goes into the harness and ground the end that goes to the relay.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

I don't have accurate schematics for your 96 T/A but I suspect the fog light relay wiring is the same as on later models. A 96 Camaro schematic I found online shows the relay using the same light green wire so I see no reason why a Firebird would be different.

If the colors are different, it's pretty easy to determine which wire to ground using a test light or multimeter.

The circuit is designed to turn off the fog lights while the high beams are on by robbing the relay coil of ground. It does this by having the relay coil ground through the high beam bulb power circuit. When the high beams are off, the small amount of current going to ground from the relay can easily pass through the high beam lamp filament without making the lamp illuminate. When you turn on the high beams, there is now power rather than ground on the ground connection of the relay so the relay de-energizes and the fog lights turn off.

To find the correct wire, first find the relay and identify its four wires. Then use a test light or multimeter to find which wire has ground when the high beams are off and power when they're on. Cut that wire, tape up the end that goes into the harness and ground the end that goes to the relay.
thanks for you help.....
Old 11-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread, but great info. Will do some wiring when I swap the LMC housings in. Thanks

Quick Reply: How do I make my fog lights able to stay on with brights?