Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mounting pics of satellite recievers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting pics of satellite recievers

anybody have pics of how you mounted your plug and play unit? i just got a sirius reciever but have no clue of where to mount it. all i know is im not using the gay suction cup window mount they provide. any ideas/pics would be appriciated. thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I suggest doing a search on www.sounddomain.com
Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I just recently mounted a sirius plug and play in my Z a few weeks ago. Couldnt stand the freekin mount so i did some thinking on it for a few days. This is what I came up with-"Velcro", yeah thats right, Velcro. I cut a small piece of Velcro and mounted the antenae to the top of my rearview mirror. Inside car antenae equals no car wash or theft worries and good reception due to location. I then ran the wires for the antenea under the headliner toward the drivers side of the Vehicle. Ran the wire down the side of the car through the weatherstriping then rerouted it under the dash and through the back of the center console and in between the centerconsole and where the dash unit ends. Lots of nice space to run wire out of sight. Next I routed the power cable under the center console and ran the wire toward the back and routed it back toward the front in between the console and dash (are we confused yet?). you can cut 2 small squares of Velco and run the wires through them and secure them in between the dash and console so your wires will stay in place.
I used the space next to the cigarette lighter where the stroage compartment is for stuff like cigs and other stuff. I cut two strips of velcro and put them on the sides of this compartment-NOT ON TOP OR BOTTOM as this may interfere with the air venting of your unit or the ability to use your mount because it will cover the two slots used for the mount. Let the tape sit for 12 hours without jacking with it so the adhesive will set strong.
I then took a visual on where the unit would look centererd, removed the tape backing and pressed it onto the exposed adhesive of the velcro. Once this is done don't mess with it for another 12 hours and low and behold you will have a really decent center mount without that monstosity of an arm staring you in the face. I did this also because I have a home setup in which I move my unit from car to house and can do this without any problems. I have not figured out how to upload pictures on to this site yet but if you E-Mail me at jitsumania@yahoo.com I have pictures of the sequence that I can send you so these instructions will make more sense. "A picture is worth a thousand words". Take care, hope this helps. It did me!!!!
Attached Thumbnails mounting pics of satellite recievers-console-1.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-2.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-wire-3.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenea-wire-4.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-wire-5.jpg  

Last edited by jitsumania; 08-04-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jitsumania
I cut a small piece of Velcro and mounted the antenae to the top of my rearview mirror. Inside car antenae equals no car wash or theft worries and good reception due to location.
I posted where I hid my antenna here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/248790-guys-xm.html
(post #3 & 9)
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks, i will try that. any more ideas as far as mounting the plug and play unit?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Well heres XM set up. antenna is on rear veiw mirror inside the car and since regular radio SSSS U C K S i mounted the dock right on the screen of the stock radio. Dock swivals so I can play CD's if I want BUT hell with all that I LOVE MY XM.....THE HOME OF OPIE AND ANTHONY.

Spread The Virus
Attached Thumbnails mounting pics of satellite recievers-p8040010.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-p8040011.jpg  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

Default mount part 2 (VELCRO)

here are the rest of the Pics for the mount on the console. Did learn how to upload the pics. but could only do 5 ata time. This is a good mounting solution cause the passenger also has access to unit.

Maroon Z-28 2000 AT , SLP flow pac cold air, SLP free flow lid, K&N filter, SLP high flow MAF sensor, SLP smooth Bellows, MSD 8.5 superconductor wires, Magnaflow Catback, Jet performance programming stage 2, Kuhmo rubber
Attached Thumbnails mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-wire-6.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-wire-7.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-antenae-wire-8.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-power-cord.jpg   mounting pics of satellite recievers-velcro-placement.jpg  

Last edited by jitsumania; 08-04-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the pics guys. i will try the way badss mounted it. i cant do it like the one above b/c the shifter is in the way(m6). i wouldnt have enough room
Old 08-05-2005, 05:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by co.6z28
thanks for the pics guys. i will try the way badss mounted it. i cant do it like the one above b/c the shifter is in the way(m6). i wouldnt have enough room
yeah thats why I also put mine there M6. Hey but listen, a little problem I came across BUT no big deal. The place that I stuck the dock to, started to pull away off the radio (the clear plastic screen covering the time) due to the heat. So what I did was I took a little bit of liquid nails and glued it back. I just worked a little bit of it in with a razor blade now it holds better then ever. Haha liquid nails im a contractor and that the was the first thing that came to mind. You get it at home depot I think that will work bwtter then anything else cause of the heat build up and also when driving No shaking.
Good luck Bro
Old 08-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

I don't have any pictures but what I did was get one of those plastic swivel mount things for cellular phones (kind of like a CB microphone hook) and mounted it to the outside edge of the radio surround trim panel. My Sirius StarMate has the button already on the back so it just hangs in place next to the radio although it blocks some of the right side of the radio face. The advantage is that I can just lift it out of the way if I want to use the radio controls and it doubles as a microphone hook for my CB radio.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I don't have any pictures but what I did was get one of those plastic swivel mount things for cellular phones (kind of like a CB microphone hook) and mounted it to the outside edge of the radio surround trim panel. My Sirius StarMate has the button already on the back so it just hangs in place next to the radio although it blocks some of the right side of the radio face. The advantage is that I can just lift it out of the way if I want to use the radio controls and it doubles as a microphone hook for my CB radio.
where did u get the stuff to mount it, i got the starmate also.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

You know the way you guys mounted yours is cool and all, but my setup beats it all. Ever thought of using your center console?? I have my Sirius mounted inside the console so when you want to change stations you open the console and voila. Its out of site, so less obvious, the antenna is mounted on the inside of the car. Just by looking at the car you'd never be able to tell I have satellite radio. I have pics, just dont know how to post them on the forum.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28EVLM04
You know the way you guys mounted yours is cool and all, but my setup beats it all. Ever thought of using your center console?? I have my Sirius mounted inside the console so when you want to change stations you open the console and voila. Its out of site, so less obvious, the antenna is mounted on the inside of the car. Just by looking at the car you'd never be able to tell I have satellite radio. I have pics, just dont know how to post them on the forum.
I guess thats cool if ya want that stealth look of trying to hide the receiver. I had thought about doing that also but figured it would be to much of a hassel changing the channels and all PLUS I wouldnt be able to use my remote.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

Here is how I mounted my Sportster sirius unit:

It's out of the way from the shifter, yet close enough to reach to switch channels/presets. If anyone hasn't tried it yet, get the sirius fm module relay (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIU...ductDetail.do). I was sick of listening to high quality stations through the FM modulator built into the unit that sounded like **** through the stock monsoon stereo. It's now 100% better, as if the sirius unit is hooked directly into the headunit via rca or cd changer port. Any questions on my install feel free to ask, installation was a piece of cake.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Launching!

dissasemble the antenna so your left with only the guts and put it in your 3rd brake light, take off the cover theres plenty of space in there.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slammed99s10
Here is how I mounted my Sportster sirius unit:

It's out of the way from the shifter, yet close enough to reach to switch channels/presets. If anyone hasn't tried it yet, get the sirius fm module relay (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIU...ductDetail.do). I was sick of listening to high quality stations through the FM modulator built into the unit that sounded like **** through the stock monsoon stereo. It's now 100% better, as if the sirius unit is hooked directly into the headunit via rca or cd changer port. Any questions on my install feel free to ask, installation was a piece of cake.
what did u use to munt that?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed99s10
as if the sirius unit is hooked directly into the headunit via rca or cd changer port.
My XM is connected through the Monsoon's CD-Changer port.
I used a GM9-AUX to convert the Monsoon CD-Changer port to RCA AUX-IN.

Check this out for more info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....15&postcount=3
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=gm9-aux

Does your Sirius unit have RCA or 1/8" outpout?
If not, then you need to buy the appropriate adapter to get RCA output from the Sirius unit.

I made a small video of how to remove the bezel and put it back on:
http://users.rcn.com/my57chevy/RadioBezel.wmv

To retain the factory CD-Changer and the new RCA AUX-IN, you need a 2001+ Monsoon headunit. Press "CD/Play" on the Monsoon headunit to cycle through the inputs.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

It's a metal bracket made by Pro Fit.

what did u use to munt that?

My Sirius unit has a 1/8" output, thought about doing what you did and using an adapter for the cd changer port but wanted to give the relay module a try first. It's actually a 1000% better quality than the built in fm modulater, but not as high quality if I had xm/sirius headunit & add-on unit that uses a s-video type connecter.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Does your Sirius unit have RCA or 1/8" outpout?
If not, then you need to buy the appropriate adapter to get RCA output from the Sirius unit.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

where did u get the stuff to mount it, i got the starmate also.
I think I got it from Best Buy - could have been Circuit City. Look for one of those cell phone belt swivel clips where you mount a button on the cell phone that goes into the belt clip. There are kits of them that also come with the dash mount included. It's black plastic, about an inch and a half tall and a little more than half-inch wide with a slot for the button to slide into.

Here's a picture (the dash mount is the part on the right).

Quick Reply: mounting pics of satellite recievers