Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

howto on wiring up a convertible switch w/ cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet it works muaahaha its alive!!! The problem was the power i wasn't hooked up right than i used a tapin and it worked, the switch works flawlessly. The only thing is that i have it so when you press it UP the cutout closes i want it to close when you hit DOWN so i am just going to reverse that. I also wired up B and C but the one last thing i need to ask you is where do i wire it so that it can get light from the dash? What do i tap into? Right next to door to this switch is the TCS which has a light always on however it is connected with a sealed connector so i am not sure how i would tap into that. Anyway thanks for taking the time to help me you have been very useful and patient and i hope that others can refer to this because its actually quite easy to hookup the switch i just over looked one lil thing doh!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Congratulations! You can tap into the brown wire in the 10-pin black connector on the back of the radio for dash light power.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hrm is this visible from the small opening where i am currently working? Which is where the cigarette plug and TCS button is.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, you would have to pull the radio and run a wire down to your switch. The only illumination wire that would be close to where you're working would be the gray wire to the TCS switch.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think i'll just tap into that wire than i should have no problem doing that correct same difference? Hey also i read in another thread where you were responding to people inquiring about how to hook they're ipod's to they're factory monsoon stereo system, i could do that correct since i have a 2002 it should have the cd changer input on the back although i do not have a cd changer? I have a single cd. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the 02 CD head unit works well with the GM9-AUX or the iCruise adapters. Your car has the CD changer port in back of the radio and it also has the CD changer harness to the back of the car even though you don't have a changer installed.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks agian, which do you recommend, the GM9-AUX i found on a site for 69.99 on sale, whereas the icruze is upwards of 200. Will the GM9-AUX allow me to use the steering wheel controls? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The GM9-AUX adapter is merely an auxiliary input adapter - all it does is connect the iPod to the stereo system without using FM modulation. Your steering wheel controls will still work but they won't do anything to control the iPod.

The iCruze provides limited control of the iPod through the radio. It just passes the CD controls to the iPod so that you can skip back and forth between tracks and playlists. The unit only handles special playlists that you make up in advance - you can't just browse your music.

The whole question is a moot point because Monster doesn't make an interface cable for the 98-02 Monsoon systems so the iCruze won't work. Save your money and get the GM9-AUX.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey just out of curiosity what would it take to rig up a light or something so that when the cutout is completely open or closed it will lightup?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hrm so the GM9 won't allow me to control the IPOD through the radio...that is a bummer, is there an adapter or something that will allow it to? What do i basically do just use the ipod as i normally would and i can play any song etc than just use the ipod's controls? I like the idea of using the stereo to control next song, stop, play and volume, i know there are other units out there but i want to find someone who has such a unit for the monsoon.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the IPOD2CAR by peripheral electronics, it allows you to retain ipod control aswell as controlling the ipod through your steering wheel and radio, a bit pricey though weighing in at about 180 or 150 on ebay.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The GM9-AUX just lets you connect the iPod to the radio as an external auxiliary source. That means you can switch between iPod, radio and CD using the radio controls and of course the audio controls (volume, tone, etc.) still work the same. You would have to use the iPod itself to select the tracks to play.

You really should start a new thread to continue this discussion.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by qwik3r
Hey just out of curiosity what would it take to rig up a light or something so that when the cutout is completely open or closed it will lightup?
There are two ways you could do this - neither of which is easy. One, you could mount some kind of switches to the cutout that would close as the cutout reached the end of its travel. Two, you could build a logic circuit that would read the increased resistance when the cutout motor reached the end of its travel (much the way power windows work).
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll just count lol thanks again
Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know how to wire this up for a cutout with the 4 wire setup where you push a button and it goes all the way open or all the way closed and then stops? Please post it if you can or PM me. I hate having this cutout just stuck open.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know how to do this for the motor kill to help my friend out here?

Quick Reply: howto on wiring up a convertible switch w/ cutout?