Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Melted Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Fuses

I've got a 1200.1 DB-Drive Platinum Series amplifier for my two subwoofers. Yesterday, while listening to some tunes, the subs go dead...I checked the amp and found that the two "40" fuses it has melted...why did that happen?? I've never seen such thing and it all freaked me out...checked the local auto parts stores and they only have fuses that go up to 30...anyone have any ideas why they melted and where i can get some new ones, or if i replace them will they melt again????

Thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They melted or the fuse blew ?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Wow... if they melted, you had a serious surge... You can try a local stereo shop or best buy, they usually have some. If they do it again, you might have a bad amp.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
They melted or the fuse blew ?
One of the fuses melted and blew...the other one was just melted...Melted as in totally warped, doesn't even look like a fuse...

Old 10-01-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

I've had things like this happen in my fuse box.. people never really look at a blown fuse.. sometimes they just "snap" other times they Kinda melt.

As long as the fuses are blowing you will be ok.. no its not a good thing they are blowing but it's stoping damage else where... I'd buy new ones and see if and when it happens... you might notice there is a cause/effect to why they are blowing..
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

I replace both fuses and so far so good. Haven't had any problems just yet, but i still check the fuses from time to time to see if they're ok...Might have been a freak thing or a sudden surge, i don't know..but hopefully it won't happen again...Thanks for the input guys

J