Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What's your front speaker set up?
Alpine SPS-170A and happy with them.
10.87%
Alpine SPS-170A and want Monsoons back.
3.26%
Neither Alpine or Monsoon. (if so what?)
38.04%
Still running Monsoon.
47.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What to do about front speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm, I was thinking about getting the Kappas since they are 2 ohms, but I see a lot of people talking about the SPS-170As (which are definitely cheaper, which is good because I'm poor). I thought that since they were 4 ohms, they would cut the power in half though? I admit I know absolutely jack about audio.

The main reason I want new front speakers is because my 94' monsoon speakers are crap.. When I have the bass up, the sound blown and have a bad rattling sound. Can someone explain what tweeters and crossovers do?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Richiec77

Great research 1stbird. I'm going to add this to the FAQ Sticky.

The only issue with using GMPartDirect is they charge a Handling charge per item. Something like $8 per. That can add up FAST. They are only good for Big expensive items.
Thanks, Richiec77! I am truely honored by being added to the Sticky! Like I said in my post, "They (GMPartDirect) seem to have the best prices, but I haven't checked on their shipping." I knew there had to be a catch. Maybe I can get my local GM parts department to do a "price match" like you can get at most places. (We just won't mention the shipping!)

I know that the "Monsoon Speaker" question has just about been asked to death, that's why I copied my post to a text file and saved it on my computer. Now I can paste it as a reply whenever anyone asks the "same" question!

My Formula is so new to me right now, that I have other things to spend my money on. Like tires, brake pads, etc. But it doesn't hurt to dream! And I am the type of person that does the "research" before I make a decision! I can live with three and a half speaker! If I want something to listen to, I just roll down the windows and listen to the sound of the LS1 coming out the exhaust!

1stbird

2001 Firebird Formula
Purchased 8/19/2005

LS1
6 Speed (M6)
Ram Air Hood (Dealer Installed)
Ram Air Box (Dealer Installed)
K&N Air Filter
CAGS Eliminator
DRL Disable

Black on Black
No T-Tops
GM Factory Bra
Pilot Motorsports Shiftknob
Pilot Motorsports Pedal Covers

"My old lady left me and took my Firebird the other day. Damn, I miss that car!"
Old 10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

I was reading this thread earlier today and i'm fed up with the flapping in my doors so i just ordered the kappas. I'll tell you how they are after the install. found them for 104 bucks with shipping. I'll let ya'll know if they're worth it.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by contemptor
Hm, I was thinking about getting the Kappas since they are 2 ohms, but I see a lot of people talking about the SPS-170As (which are definitely cheaper, which is good because I'm poor). I thought that since they were 4 ohms, they would cut the power in half though? I admit I know absolutely jack about audio.

The main reason I want new front speakers is because my 94' monsoon speakers are crap.. When I have the bass up, the sound blown and have a bad rattling sound. Can someone explain what tweeters and crossovers do?
Tweeters are small speakers designed to reproduce higher frequencies (such as a bird chirping, hence the name). As opposed to woofers, which reproduce lower frequencies. Woofers and tweeters are used together to reproduce the full range of sound frequencies.

Speakers do not re-act well to frequencies outside of their designed range. To ensure the proper frequencies go to the appropriate speaker, you would install a crossover. The crossover in most cases is simply a combination of filters used to direct the high frequencies to the tweeter, and the low frequencies to the woofer. In multi-element speakers (2-way, 3-wya, etc.) these filters are usually built into the speaker itself. In component speaker designs, the crossover is a seperate module.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by contemptor

I did a google search and found the Kappas for $89.99!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

FL01SS, I just had a pair of those infinity kappa 62.7i installed in my doors about a month ago. I noticed that you are in tampa, I live in Land O Lakes. I had that buzz-off alarm and car stereo place on dale mabry just south of waters do the install and they sound excellent. Here's my email if you have any ?'s akania@tampabay.rr.com
hope I help out in any way
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

I bought some infinity's to replace the ripped monsoons on the doors. I also placed small tweeters directly behind the door rear view mirrors. I run a DHD amp to the six speakers. I run a fosgate amp to 2 Jl audio subs that are in the trunk. Very simple simple thats sounds awesome.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

[IMG]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119069[/IMG]
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

well I just got the kappa 62.7i installed and they sound great well worth the money.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99 bad ***
well I just got the kappa 62.7i installed and they sound great well worth the money.
I'm just worried about what these guys are saying about frying the head unit by running a 2 ohm tweet!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

My vote is for
1. infinitys 2ohm
2. IDs 2 ohm or
3. MB Quarts + amp

The deciding factor will be how much you have or want to spend...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FL01SS
I'm just worried about what these guys are saying about frying the head unit by running a 2 ohm tweet!

Will not be an issue. Tweeters vary with their ohms and rarely get down to two ohms of resistance because of the way they are designed.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

10-4! That's good because I just got the Kappas. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

I just installed the KAPPA 62.7's.. & they sound great!
Thought the tweeters would be to loud (2ohm pushed from 4) but thats not the case. No modifications necessary just wire up like the stock setup.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Launching!

well I just ordered my kappas on Ebay for 89 bucks shipped. I think that's about the best deal on the web for these speakers...warranty and all. The alpines I'm sure work fine, but I really want to run the mid at 2 ohms
Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

dont buy facory replacement or coaxials if your going to do it do it right buy components
Old 11-13-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98cobraklrws6
dont buy facory replacement or coaxials if your going to do it do it right buy components
Yes, that's true for Firebirds. Camaro's can do with either coax or components, so long as the coaxial can be modded to wire the tweeter seperately.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

MB Quart components + Amp for me...it slays. tweets mounted in stock position. If I had them up in the pillar at ear level, it would split my head open ( nless I bought a seperate amp, just for the tweets- for additional control).
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Can I make the Infinity 3 way work 63.7i work in the door with Monsoon system, or do they have to be coax?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heliskiier
Can I make the Infinity 3 way work 63.7i work in the door with Monsoon system, or do they have to be coax?
Make it work? yes. You can run it off the head unit alone via the tweeter wires alone, but you won't get as much bass out of it. They would sound horrible ran off the amplified woofer wires.

Without seeing the speaker, I don't know if you can mod it and bi-wire it like the SPS-170A's. Depends on if you can seperate the tweeter/mid speakers wires from the woofer wires.

Not all coaxial speakers will work, as some bring the tweeter wires thru the cone where you can't get at them.

Quick Reply: What to do about front speakers???