Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What's your front speaker set up?
Alpine SPS-170A and happy with them.
10.87%
Alpine SPS-170A and want Monsoons back.
3.26%
Neither Alpine or Monsoon. (if so what?)
38.04%
Still running Monsoon.
47.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What to do about front speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely have to match the correct ohm rating as well as RMS power handling. If you get a speaker at 4 ohms and good for higher RMS voltage, then it will be underpowered and not last very long, not enough power is worse then a little too much. Me personally, nothing beats an aftermarket amp and aftermarket speakers. My so called premium sound system in my Jaguar had speakers that weighed as much as Kate Moss, it was embarassing when me and my friends were switching them out for my Infinity Kappas.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Make it work? yes. You can run it off the head unit alone via the tweeter wires alone, but you won't get as much bass out of it. They would sound horrible ran off the amplified woofer wires.

Without seeing the speaker, I don't know if you can mod it and bi-wire it like the SPS-170A's. Depends on if you can seperate the tweeter/mid speakers wires from the woofer wires.

Not all coaxial speakers will work, as some bring the tweeter wires thru the cone where you can't get at them.

Thanks, I have a convertible, so I think the tweets run off the head unit and the woof runs off the amp. I know the Kappa 62.7 coax's are working for a lot of guys and wire right in no problem. I'll have to take a look at the three ways....any suggestions for the sail panels in my vert? Seems that the vert thing if you wanna keep your Monsoon HU is where some confusion sets in and I'd like to know what will work for the doors and sails w/o having to replace the HU and amp. Sure would appreciate any help you could give to clear this up for me.

mudkat
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Teching In

heliskiier, I have a 2001 SS Vert. With aftermarket speakers and the stock H/U. email me at akania@tampabay.rr.com with all your ?'s and I will help you out.

Adam
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so basically your better off replacing the entire system. i do like the monsoon sys but i have a speaker in the sil panel thats bad. these cars are as bad as the vettes with bose sys from the eighties.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jam01
ok so basically your better off replacing the entire system. i do like the monsoon sys but i have a speaker in the sil panel thats bad. these cars are as bad as the vettes with bose sys from the eighties.
Depends on your goal. I find the stock Monsoon system perfectly adaquate for my listening needs. I have only replaced speakers out of necessity.

Right now I'm waiting for a pair of Image Dynamics CX62's to replace my blown subs in the sail panels.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Try the new Infinity Referance speakers also. They are a 2 Ohm design too.
Just replaced door speekers in my friends car with the infinity speakers!!!! sound way beter
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Try the new Infinity Referance speakers also. They are a 2 Ohm design too.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
whats ? kapa infinity speakers are 2 ohms and sound great
Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Intsresting! I have bin readin these posts for a while - I think I have my replacements spekers lined up. Kappa's & Dynamic's, My question is this. DOes anyone replace the speakers in the hatch? If so with what? Looking for a reco. If they are 4ohm speakers would any decent 2 way work? Thanks, Lata, Ark

Last edited by Arkangel77; 01-05-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well got tired of waiting for the CX62's, so I cancelled the order. I only ordered them because they were 2 ohm midbasses, the same as the stock sail panel speakers in My SS.

After doing more research, I realized matching the stock speaker impedance is not very important when spec'ing out replacements.

Now I'm trying to decide between the Audiobahn AMD60Q or the Pioneer TS-M7PRS midbass drivers. I'm leaning more toward the Pioneers, even though they are a bit pricey.

AS for Arkangel77's question, I replaced my rear hatch speakers with Alpine SPS-100A's at the same time I replaced my door speakers. While I've seen some posts claiming that the rear hatch speakers were not worth upgrading, I find that I have much better midrange frequencies with the swap. Something the my system was seriously lacking before.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Let us know what you decide on for the Midbass Drivers? Thanks for the info, Ark

PS - This looks like it might be a good option of rhte mid base driver? What do you guys think? 2ohm Orion HCCA Millennium Edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Sorry - thats a Mid Not a sub? - POOP

Last edited by Arkangel77; 01-06-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They look like they might be a good fit.

Two things bother me about them:

First, it appears the seller is asking $120 each ($265 a pair, with shipping), which is too much money to spend for a speaker upgrade if you're planning on keeping the stock HU and Amp. The $185 a pair price on the Pioneers I mentioned previously is my only hesitation to buying them.

Second, I tried a Google search and can find little information about these. So I'm guessing it's a model that hasn't been made in a few years. The "Millenium Edition" moniker would indicate it's a 2000 model.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just spoke with them (email) its $120 for a pair - he recomended some others BUT they LOOK huge in the back and I am not sure I can fit them- He said they would give a little more bass - we will see? Need to make sure they are 2 ohm's - I am trying to find depth and with or new reco - how much room do we have in there anyway? Thanks, Ark

this is the sub he reco'd

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robot-Undergroun...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Arkangel77; 01-06-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think there should be plenty of room. The mounting depth he listed in the auction page is 2 7/16". I'm pretty sure there is between 3 to 3.5 inches back there.

I hope you like. Let us know how they sound.

As for me, I'm still undecided.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep I am gona try the Orion's I will let ya know how they sound. I am not sure if they are the best choice BUT These and the Kappa's should be a good Mix. I would just buy the Image Dynamics BUT I cant get in touch with the outfit and I have bin trying for a few days now. I wanted to make sure they were in stock B4 I ordered them - there failyar to respond cost them a sale. I will post how they sound when I get it all in - thanks, Ark
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jl audio, xr series components
Old 01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

The reason you see a lot of people with the Alpines, is the Infinty 62.7i's are a new model to 2005. So, anyone trying to upgrade the front speakers was pretty much out of luck to find a 2 ohm 6.5 until recently. I bought the 62.7i's and if you compare them to the stock Camaro door speakers the connections are identical with seperate inputs for woofer and tweeter. The only thing I even had to think about was which one was the + and - otherwise was simple and just used the crossovers for the tweeter. The 63.7i I would think would be overkill for highs. The Infinity has a swivel tweeter to direct highs any way you want and you can turn the tweeter to give 2 more decibles of highs. I recently added some eDead around the far rear hatch speakers(I added 4 ohm Pioneers) and you can hear them now. I covered the entire plastic panel on each side of the hatch that holds the 4 inch speaker and made a pocket and covered the backside of the 4 inch speaker with the eDead. Sound is now directed out more and my 2 10 inch Memphis Audio 10's sound better with the panels covered in eDead. So worked for 2 things and added at most 7 lbs to the car.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

I just bought two pair of these Infinity Kappa 62.7i's for $68 a pair yesterday, here's the link for those interested. Ebay Kappas
Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
I just bought two pair of these Infinity Kappa 62.7i's for $68 a pair yesterday, here's the link for those interested. Ebay Kappas
looks like $92 or so after shipping.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive put those in a few of my friends cars and they sound great! we just hoocked them up like factory! Way way better then stock! soon as i move from hawaii that is on the to do list!

Quick Reply: What to do about front speakers???