Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 camaro monsoon upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 camaro monsoon upgrade

I have a 98 camaro with the stock stereo and I want to upgrade to a monsoon stereo out of a newer camaro. Will this work with no modifications?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Launching!

I"m thinking about pulling my monsoon system W/12disk out to put in a whole new system.

Let me know if you'd be interested
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Uhm.. why don't you get an aftermarket unit? This seems like a waste.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zorrander
Uhm.. why don't you get an aftermarket unit? This seems like a waste.
generally stock look is wanted
sorry you said camaro unit, i know nothing about them sorry.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98 and 99 are the same and 00-02 are different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I tried to get a Monsoon headunit to replace my headuint with the tape deck. That way I would have a Monsoon headunit with with CD player and the 12 disc in the back. I was told my a GM parts man that they would not interchange. But this could be wrong.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
98 and 99 are the same and 00-02 are different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I tried to get a Monsoon headunit to replace my headuint with the tape deck. That way I would have a Monsoon headunit with with CD player and the 12 disc in the back. I was told my a GM parts man that they would not interchange. But this could be wrong.
There are some differences between the model years. 98 thru mid-99 CD head units didn't have CD changer controls. Mid-99 through 00 had changer controls but could only control one external device - the changer OR an auxiliary device such as satellite radio (with proper adapter). 01 and 02 could have more than one external device - changer AND auxiliary device (again, with a proper adapter). Also, there are a number of cosmetic and functional differences between Camaro and Firebird units.

However, they are all interchangeable in terms of mounting and wiring connections. Putting a Camaro HU in a Firebird won't give you the speed controlled volume (because the VSS wire isn't in the Firebird harness). Also, putting a Firebird HU in a Camaro won't give you the power antenna (again, because the wire isn't in the harness) although both models are capable of having a power antenna - you just have to add the wire in a Camaro.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems to me, it all depends on whether the harness is different between the non-Monsoon equipped Camaros, and the Monsoon equipped Camaros. If it is the same harness and they just bypassed the amplifier with a loopback connector, than it should be an easy swap.

If you have to totally re-wire the car, you would be much better off getting an aftermarket amp and speakers. With line level converters, you could keep the Monsoon head unit.

Personally, I think you'd be better off with aftermarket speakers any way you go.

I've replace my door and rear hatch speakers with Alpines. They sound much better (and not only because they are not blown. lol). I'm ordering Image Dynamics CX62 Midbasses for the sail panels.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Seems to me, it all depends on whether the harness is different between the non-Monsoon equipped Camaros, and the Monsoon equipped Camaros. If it is the same harness and they just bypassed the amplifier with a loopback connector, than it should be an easy swap.

If you have to totally re-wire the car, you would be much better off getting an aftermarket amp and speakers. With line level converters, you could keep the Monsoon head unit.

Personally, I think you'd be better off with aftermarket speakers any way you go.

I've replace my door and rear hatch speakers with Alpines. They sound much better (and not only because they are not blown. lol). I'm ordering Image Dynamics CX62 Midbasses for the sail panels.
The harness is the same at the head unit for both Monsoon and non-Monsoon systems. In fact, it's the same as just about every GM car made at the time. You're right - the difference is where the harness goes from there. To upgrade to Monsoon you would have to rewire to include the amp for everything except the front and rear tweeters (which run off the HU). Then you have to replace the speakers with the low-impedance Monsoon speakers. That's a lot more work than it is worth considering the quality of the Monsoon system.

If you want a Monsoon HU for whatever reason (factory look, etc.) you can swap head units without changing the rest of the system. You can even upgrade to better speakers without adding the Monsoon amp.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second whitebird00's suggestion to just upgrade your speakers. The Delco head units make enough power to give you decent mids and highs out of the speakers.

Assuming you are ok with the Delco head unit - methinks you'd be alot happier dropping replacement door speakers in ($70) and adding a small powered sub tapped off the rear channels. Even a small 6.5" Bazooka tube would fill out a stock setup quite nicely.

With those minor changes, you could get out for about $200, not have to rewire anything hard, and it will sound better than a monsoon setup. Less work, less money, better sound. What else could you ask for?

Quick Reply: 98 camaro monsoon upgrade