Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

All 4 head lights on at once

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
if all four headlight are on when high beams are activated how will this harness keap foglight's and high beam headlights on at the same time?
Good question. I guess you have to do that in conjuction with the fog light mod.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Good question. I guess you have to do that in conjuction with the fog light mod.
That's correct. The Painless harness is only for keeping the lowbeams on when you turn on the highbeams. Having the fog lights on as well requires the additional mod.

Of course, the harness is unnecessary on Firebirds because they have all four headlights on with the highbeams from the factory.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's correct. The Painless harness is only for keeping the lowbeams on when you turn on the highbeams. Having the fog lights on as well requires the additional mod.

Of course, the harness is unnecessary on Firebirds because they have all four headlights on with the highbeams from the factory.
Thanks for the good info
Old 01-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by UK-WS6
Little off topic,. . . .
Can anyone tell me if there is an alternative lamp I can replace the candle with that masquarades as a fog light?
Sorry for hijack / off topic
The stock fog light bulbs are #880 (#881 for Camaro) which are 27 watt/43 candlepower. You can replace the bulbs with #893 (#894 for Camaro) which are 37 watt/75 candlepower (almost twice as bright). These bulbs will work without causing too much heat or too much draw on the electrical system. In fact, the exact same fog lights came from the factory on the Pontiac Bonneville with #893 bulbs in them.

You could try putting in #885 (#886 for Camaro) which are 50 watt/100 candlepower bulbs but these have been known to cause enough heat to melt the plastic sockets and warp the lenses.

The only difference between the Firebird bulbs and the Camaro bulbs is that the Firebird uses straight in connectors while the Camaro uses right angle connectors.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BitViper
4 screws under the drivers side dash allows access under the steering column. Look down the left side of the steering column and there is a white switch with a brown plug and 2 black tabs. Squeeze black tabs and pull the connector off. Make a connection between the large tan wire and the large yellow wire and put everything back together...
Is this a safe way of doing it? Saw the other write up. But seems like he's making a simple project more difficult than need be. Anyone running it like this?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

For some reason mine have always used all 4 when the HB's are on.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
For some reason mine have always used all 4 when the HB's are on.
If you have an LT1 based F-Body or a Trans Am...that's the way they are. This is for my buddies 99 camaro
Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Gotcha.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this is for my 99 SS, im just worried about the wiring harness running all 4 headlights at once. My low beams are HIDs which i hear only use something like 35 watts after they are fired up initially to keep going??? Just wanna make sure i dont blow any fusable links or melt any wires or anything! Also i wanna run my fog lights while the other 4 are on, is that then hgonna be too much or is that a seperate harness? My car has the "katz" brand foglights added on also(dont know wattage but they are pretty darn bright).

I can honestly see pretty wellw ith the aftermarket foglights and the HIDs, but theres times where all the light you can get will help!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Yeah this is for my 99 SS, im just worried about the wiring harness running all 4 headlights at once. My low beams are HIDs which i hear only use something like 35 watts after they are fired up initially to keep going??? Just wanna make sure i dont blow any fusable links or melt any wires or anything! Also i wanna run my fog lights while the other 4 are on, is that then hgonna be too much or is that a seperate harness? My car has the "katz" brand foglights added on also(dont know wattage but they are pretty darn bright).

I can honestly see pretty wellw ith the aftermarket foglights and the HIDs, but theres times where all the light you can get will help!
Not sure if that's legal but it looks good.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS

You don't need to worry about the wattage toasting your wiring ... The foglights are on a seperate harness...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Is this a safe way of doing it? Saw the other write up. But seems like he's making a simple project more difficult than need be. Anyone running it like this?
Yes, connecting the yellow and tan wire under the dash will work. Basically what you are doing is bypassing the lowbeam side of the highbeam switch. Normally the Camaro highbeam switch toggles the power input on the yellow wire between the tan lowbeam wire and the light green highbeam wire. Connecting the yellow and tan wires together leaves the lowbeams on whenever the headlights are on - regardless of whether the highbeams are on or not.

This should be safe because it is essentially the same way the Firebirds are wired. The only concern would be running power for all four lights through the yellow wire but the wire is the same gauge as on Firebirds so it should be fine.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

my low beam stay on when i put the high beam on but my fogs lights dont
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by tbonesln
my low beam stay on when i put the high beam on but my fogs lights dont
You revived a four year old thread to tell us that?

The factory configuration in Firebirds keeps the low beams on when the high beams are in use. Camaros are wired differently and turn off the low beams when the high beams are selected. Both models turn off the fog lights when the high beams are on.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

This is easy but non-legal mod
Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Wicked_C5
This is easy but non-legal mod
There is absolutely nothing illegal about having all four headlights on when using the high beams. In fact, Firebirds come from the factory with that configuration.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is absolutely nothing illegal about having all four headlights on when using the high beams. In fact, Firebirds come from the factory with that configuration.
exactly.....the only time it would be illegal (in most cases) is if you also did the mod to turn on the fogs along with the lows+highs. but even then, you probably will not get hassled too much if you just be a courteous driver in the first place, and be sure to turn off the high beams when you see someone coming. if you do this from far enough away, they will never be able to tell you had more than 4 lights on, they'll just think you had REALLY bright high beams....and it should make it easier for them to see you switch from highs to lows, also, which generally elicits the same response from them.