Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trip odometer resets

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip odometer resets

I remember reading years ago about how peoples trip odometers were resetting. Mine has recently started doing that (1999 SS). Is the fix still replacing the entire cluster? Any idea how much it costs? What about getting the mileage onto the replacement cluster? Do I have to have the dealer do it or will the PCM automatically set the reading in the guage cluster? I tried the search but had no luck. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

The trip odometer will reset when there is a dip in the battery voltage, usually when starting. A weak battery will do this. You may not notice anything wrong with the starting of the car though. My 99 had this problem and I checked with peak max/min hold on my Fluke meter. Repalcing the battery corrected it. I believe in later years they corrected the memory issue so it was not erased in the case of a voltage dip.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I thought I read someplace that the accumulated mileage is part of the cluster..not in t PCM....
Old 01-14-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BitViper
and I thought I read someplace that the accumulated mileage is part of the cluster..not in t PCM....
Yup That is true.. you dont need much memory to store numbers lol