Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Daytime running lamp bypass

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Oh, I see...your front turn signals are also a safety item that you don't need (DRL and T/S use the same bulbs).
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding this DRL Module. Thanks to this Thread I have finally figured out what the heck this box/module is called. The problem that I have is that this thing ticks like a time bomb. It will absolutely stop when you pull up on the parking brake enough to make the warning light come on.
I have an M6 car. I took this thing out and looked at it and can find no obvious problems. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is making this thing tick, literally? Should I just replace it?
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd bet it's a relay and that's what you hear. Nothing to worry about IMO.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There are four relays inside the DRL module - park lamp, headlamp, left turn, and right turn. It is possible one of those relays is causing the noise although I would expect that there would be other symptoms such as flashing lights. In any case, the DRL module is not serviceable (not by ordinary mechanics - if you're good with electronics and a soldering iron you might be able to work on it) so it has to be replaced as an assembly.

Unfortunately, the module costs over $100 retail at a GM dealer although you can find it somewhat cheaper online.