Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ok u car stereo geniuses...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok u car stereo geniuses...

Ive choosen to upgrade the speaker system in my Z28. It already has an aftermarket system (HU, 2 amps, 2 12" Subs, alpine components in the rear sails, what WAS 3-way sony's..the tweeters fell off..in the fronts)

Im upgrading everything. Ive decided to get components for the front, the components ive decided to get have a 4 ohm impedance rating and the 3-way coaxials that ive decided to get for the sail panels have a 2-ohm impedance rating. I want to get the best possible sound out of my speakers, so I was thinking of getting one amp and set it to 4ohms to drive my components, and thinking of getting another amp set it to 2 ohms to drive my 3-ways.

My question is...is this necessary to get the best sound? Im thinking I can get one amp instead and run it at 2-ohms and it would work just fine for the whole system. Or am I completely off on this?

Ive been up to this point satisfied with my old/current system however, my car got in an accident backin November and I was driving my GFs GTO the whole time. Well I got here a set of components, coaxials and midbass drivers to replace all the speakers in her car for X-mas. Ive been impressed with the sound they produce...they are not amped (save for the midbass drivers powered by the GTOs stock amp), so the volume cant be cranked up too high without distorting...but the clarity is awesome. WHen I finally got my car back from the body shop this week, I was still impressed with the bass, and although I can crank my system up loud without giving up the quality of my sound, the quality of the sound isnt what it is on my GFs GTO (her speakers are very high quality, my current ones are very mickey mouse)...so Im jelous, and now I want a better system
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

One 4-channel amp can be used to drive both sets of speakers at the impedance you are requesting. Front channels at 4 ohms and rear channels at 2.

How much you looking to spend on the amp? What components/coaxils are you planning on powering?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Currently I have:

6.5" Sony...something...formerly 3-way (tweeter cone fell off!!) in the fronts
6.5" Alpine SPR-175A Components in the rear sails

Well, Im gonna get:

6.5" Infinity Perfect 6.1 Components for the front
6x9" Infinity Kappa 693.7i 3-ways for the rear-sails

This will be first since its the weakest part of my system, eventually I'll upgrade the amp (currently Rockford Fosgate P3002), then I will upgrade my Subs (currently 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Stage 1 Punch's) and my sub amp (Rockford Fosgate P5002).

Dunno what amps I will get yet, but I will be getting 2 12" Solo-Barics for subs.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Hey about the Infinity Perfect in the fronts i dont know if you already put them but the magnet on those speakers are a bit too thick so when you roll down the window it will scrape against the magnet.. I put the reference components in the fronts instead so i can avoid that situation...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure what your budget is, but before you get the Infinity, I would go listen to MB Quarts, Diamond and Focals.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try and talk you out of wasting your money on rear speakers. When you go to listen to live music, you don't face away from the band, do you?
I would focus on the front mids and tweets and a simple 2 channel amp for them. That will give you sound quality. Rear speakers will only muddy up the imaging plus add expense.

Also, the amplifiers load depends solely on the impedance (resistance) of the speakers voice coil and that varies depending on the frequency the speaker is playing. Speakers rated at 4 ohms means that 4 ohms is the lowest amount of resistance the speakers will drop to in order to protect the amps. The lower the resistance gets (2 ohms, 1 ohm, 1/2 ohm, etc...) the closer to a dead short the amps gets. That's why don't want to go lower than the amp can handle.

If you want the best bang for your buck amp, look on ebay for a rockford 225.2 amp. I run 3 of these babies in a sound quality setup. They go for less than $130 and are 150w x 2. At 2 ohm they are 300w x 2. A lot of these older Rockford amps are just really well built and sound so good. 225.2, 500a2 or 800a2.

Also think about using dynomat (or similar material) on your inner door panels. That will help a lot.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
. A lot of these older Rockford amps are just really well built and sound so good. 225.2, 500a2 or 800a2.
I used the 800a4 for 3 years. Tough lil beast.

I can agree and disgree on the rear fill idea. I have personally tried no rear fill in my car for a little while. Then threw in the matching woofer from my components in the sails. Sound seemed more center and full....IMO.... so I kept them. My final opinion is to each his own. I can see your view in either decision. Try it both ways first.

And how do you intend on fitting 6x9's in the sail panels? Good luck....
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I would focus on the front mids and tweets and a simple 2 channel amp for them. That will give you sound quality. Rear speakers will only muddy up the imaging plus add expense.
Take the $ you were going to spend on rears and put it towards better mids and tweeters up front. People are shocked when I tell them that there are no speakers in the rear. They are amazed at the sound quality.

Pair of high quality components > 4 mid quality speakers, any day
Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Figure out your budget. There are amazing speakers out there if you are willing to spend the money. I spent years and tons of cash going setup to setup til i found exactly what i wanted. If you want HIFI setup, I can recommend great stuff. If you just want a great sound system, I can do as well. You need to figure out what type of sound you like and what music you listen to. Infinity's have good lows for speakers. Alpines have good highs and less lows. JL audio makes great components for the price range. If you up it a small notch, diamond audio M series are amazing for open enclosure applications (doors, non sealed fiberglass enclosures) while the Hex work amazing as well but better in sealed airspaces. JL audio has incredible quality amps with amazing power output, clarity, and S/N ratio. Alpine makes very clean quality sounding amps but they are gutless. Rockford bumps but i'm not too much a fan of the quality. If you want hifi, i could keep going on. PM me if you need some help.