Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on 99's this is pin 50 dark green/white vehicle speed output circuit, lower (red) connector.

that is the pin I tapped into. it sounds like you're doing the procedure right. that is the same thing mine did, except when I pressed the reset button the last time it started showing speed. make sure your connections are good. I would SOLDER them. don't use crimp connectors. that has caused me problems in the past
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys! Any luck with the fuel level gauge yet?? This is the only one that has me worried. I think I have room for the oil pressure sending unit where the stock one goes...Im going to use an elbow I guess. And I want to try to use that allen head plug on the back of the one head for my temp sender. But I havent seen much on getting the fuel level to work. Thanks

Justin
Old 05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Hey guys! Any luck with the fuel level gauge yet?? This is the only one that has me worried. I think I have room for the oil pressure sending unit where the stock one goes...Im going to use an elbow I guess. And I want to try to use that allen head plug on the back of the one head for my temp sender. But I havent seen much on getting the fuel level to work. Thanks

Justin

The PCM needs the stock oil pressure sending to be working...You have a EZ place to hook up your mechanical guage oil pressure sending unit down near the oil filter.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

really??? I thought the PCM didnt need the oil pressure sending unit at all...and that it only operated the gauge? Do we have any part numbers for the adapter down by the oil filter?? The one that already has the tapped hole (from vette or truck)...

What about the fuel level gauge? I would like to take care of any adapters or fittings that I need while the motor is out of the car. Makes things a ton easier. I think when I drop the motor into my 87, I will have a good amount of room between the intake and the firewalll, but Im not positive how much.

Justin
Old 05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

really??? I thought the PCM didnt need the oil pressure sending unit at all...and that it only operated the gauge? Do we have any part numbers for the adapter down by the oil filter?? The one that already has the tapped hole (from vette or truck)...

What about the fuel level gauge? I would like to take care of any adapters or fittings that I need while the motor is out of the car. Makes things a ton easier. I think when I drop the motor into my 87, I will have a good amount of room between the intake and the firewalll, but Im not positive how much.

Justin

I think that the fitting that the Vettes put their oil temp snding unit into is already tapped..probably has an allen head plug screwed into it. (not sure) I have not looked at mine but since the fitting is already there on all LS1's I would think that it is pluged.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Justin

you are right. the stock PCM does NOT need the oil pressure sending unit.

sorry guys, i have not had time to mess with the fuel level any more I've been just hammered at work and having more important things to line out on the car when I have time to mess with it
Old 05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know it needs it on the Vette but maybe the F bods are different..
Old 05-16-2006, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Default Perhaps a stupid question.... but

Hello,

I have a 2000 Camaro SS here in England. The car was bought from new in Canada and therefore the speedo is in Km/h.... I would like to change the guages and get the Speed Inc dash with some autometer guages.

In England they use Mph, so if I put an autometer 200mph speedo in, how do I get this to read MPH.... I mean will my speed sensor wire send information in km/h... how will I calibrate the speedo ?

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UKCamaroSS
Hello,

I have a 2000 Camaro SS here in England. The car was bought from new in Canada and therefore the speedo is in Km/h.... I would like to change the guages and get the Speed Inc dash with some autometer guages.

In England they use Mph, so if I put an autometer 200mph speedo in, how do I get this to read MPH.... I mean will my speed sensor wire send information in km/h... how will I calibrate the speedo ?

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
TTT.
Any idea's?
Is it possible to swap out my Km/h dash and put in a Mph speedometer?

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UKCamaroSS
Hello,

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
there shouldn't be any problem.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys...on the fuel gauge issue, there is another solution. Its quite a bit more expensive...but Autometer sells programmable fuel level gauges. I know the Phantom, Pro-Comp, and C2 has them. Its a full sweep electric and its programmable range is 0-280 ohms. The price for the phantom gauge (5710) is like $105 from summit... as opposed to $38 for the standard gauge. But..if it works, it might be worth it. Just another option for ya. Im going to try the regular one I guess...and if it doesnt work, Ill return it and order the other one.

Justin
Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Hey guys...on the fuel gauge issue, there is another solution. Its quite a bit more expensive...but Autometer sells programmable fuel level gauges. I know the Phantom, Pro-Comp, and C2 has them. Its a full sweep electric and its programmable range is 0-280 ohms. The price for the phantom gauge (5710) is like $105 from summit... as opposed to $38 for the standard gauge. But..if it works, it might be worth it. Just another option for ya. Im going to try the regular one I guess...and if it doesnt work, Ill return it and order the other one.

Justin

good point, I should have mentioned that. I saw that, but I'm using the silver series, so that doesn't work for me.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Just looking at installing an aftermarket gauge cluster and ran across this thread - excellent info. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys. Since this thread is still getting alittle attention, I thought Ide update it with some info that I found out today from another member. I also called Autometer and confirmed the issue, and two solutions.

The issue is with the fuel level gauge. The 99+ tank sending units use 33-240ohm range. Not sure which is empty which is full...but thats not important. Whats important is, the sending unit, and the gauge are OPPOSITE of each other. The guy at autometer said that they changed in 98... not sure how accurate that is. But he said they wont work. What the other member did, and what the guy at autometer said, was send in the gauge, and they can make it work. They put a new air core in that will reverse the movement of the gauge and make it work correctly. I think it cost him like $12.

I also confirmed with the guy at autometer that the programmable fuel level gauge will work also. Its 5710 and is around $100 from summit. This is probably the way Im going to go, only because I dont feel like sending parts back and forth. And I can get it cheaper through a discount.

Just alittle FYI. I havent even installed my tank yet...so I can confirm anything first hand. But the info seems good. Take it easy guys!

Justin
Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

I pulled up your homepage to see what the new gauges would look like and some of your pics wouldn't show. Could you post what your new cluster looks like? Very interested.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Roadhouse... Who exactly was that post intended for???
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

sticky updated!

thanks 383ss
Old 06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Nice writeup John.

STICKY PLEASE !!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Hey guys. Since this thread is still getting alittle attention, I thought Ide update it with some info that I found out today from another member. I also called Autometer and confirmed the issue, and two solutions.

The issue is with the fuel level gauge. The 99+ tank sending units use 33-240ohm range. Not sure which is empty which is full...but thats not important. Whats important is, the sending unit, and the gauge are OPPOSITE of each other. The guy at autometer said that they changed in 98... not sure how accurate that is. But he said they wont work. What the other member did, and what the guy at autometer said, was send in the gauge, and they can make it work. They put a new air core in that will reverse the movement of the gauge and make it work correctly. I think it cost him like $12.

I also confirmed with the guy at autometer that the programmable fuel level gauge will work also. Its 5710 and is around $100 from summit. This is probably the way Im going to go, only because I dont feel like sending parts back and forth. And I can get it cheaper through a discount.

Just alittle FYI. I havent even installed my tank yet...so I can confirm anything first hand. But the info seems good. Take it easy guys!

Justin
great info!! I'll be shipping mine in then I'll add that to the 1st post.

I'll try to get some pics of my setup. I don't think I ever posted any
Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Roadhouse... Who exactly was that post intended for???
I apologize, I was posting to 383ss.

Quick Reply: so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??