Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what set of sail panel subs is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what set of sail panel subs is everyone using?

I found a link to some RF's that were used but i cant find them anymore, apparently they are no longer offered. I was looking and saw some kicker's but they arent DVC. Does this really matter? I just want a good set of speakers for a decent price that i KNOW will sound good. Thanks

David
Old 02-11-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You are not likely to find 6.5" midbasses in a DVC. Just find a pair you like and use only 1 pair of wires to power them. Do not bridge the 2 pairs.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try to find an efficient 2 ohm sub if you cant find a dvc (dual voice coil)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Try to find an efficient 2 ohm sub if you cant find a dvc (dual voice coil)
I wouldn't use 2 ohm mids in Firebird. The stockers are 4 ohm DVC powered by 2 apparently independant channels from the Monsoon amp. According to several posts, these channels cannot be bridged. I would not risk burning up the amp drawing a 2ohm load on only one of these channels. Unless someone can verify that the Firebird amplifier is the same exact one used in the '01-'02 Camaros (prior year Camaros had a 200W amp, not a 500W amp like the F'birds). The Camaros of course use a 2-ohm SVC stock sail speaker.

For myself, I just got in my Pioneer TS-M7PRS midbasses. I let you know how they work out once I install them.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I wouldn't use 2 ohm mids in Firebird. The stockers are 4 ohm DVC powered by 2 apparently independant channels from the Monsoon amp. According to several posts, these channels cannot be bridged. I would not risk burning up the amp drawing a 2ohm load on only one of these channels. Unless someone can verify that the Firebird amplifier is the same exact one used in the '01-'02 Camaros (prior year Camaros had a 200W amp, not a 500W amp like the F'birds). The Camaros of course use a 2-ohm SVC stock sail speaker.

For myself, I just got in my Pioneer TS-M7PRS midbasses. I let you know how they work out once I install them.

Yes the stockers in the firebird are dual 4 ohm but are wired to a final 2 ohm load going into the stock amplifier. Using a single 2 ohm speaker would be the same as using a dual 4. Each side has its own independent channel that needs to see a 2 ohm load so you would not be hurting anything by using a single 2 ohm.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinWS6
Yes the stockers in the firebird are dual 4 ohm but are wired to a final 2 ohm load going into the stock amplifier. Using a single 2 ohm speaker would be the same as using a dual 4. Each side has its own independent channel that needs to see a 2 ohm load so you would not be hurting anything by using a single 2 ohm.

Note: I own an SS, not a T/A so I can't verify this. But I've read from others on here that the 2 pairs to each speaker seem to be independant channels, and the DVC speakers are not going to a single channel in parallel. More than one post noted that trying to bridge the 2 pairs resulted in very poor performance. If each pair is truly independant, then each pair sees 4 ohms. Without documentation otherwise, I still feel using 2 ohm speakers to a single pair would be a risk. Also, since we are talking about 6.5" midbasses, not true subwoofers, I see little advantage to 2 ohms over 4 ohms. You are not moving enough air mass to require driving the extra current thru the coil.

And no, you do not necessarily get twice the sound power just because your using a 2 ohm speaker.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Note: I own an SS, not a T/A so I can't verify this. But I've read from others on here that the 2 pairs to each speaker seem to be independant channels, and the DVC speakers are not going to a single channel in parallel. More than one post noted that trying to bridge the 2 pairs resulted in very poor performance. If each pair is truly independant, then each pair sees 4 ohms. Without documentation otherwise, I still feel using 2 ohm speakers to a single pair would be a risk. Also, since we are talking about 6.5" midbasses, not true subwoofers, I see little advantage to 2 ohms over 4 ohms. You are not moving enough air mass to require driving the extra current thru the coil.

And no, you do not necessarily get twice the sound power just because your using a 2 ohm speaker.
I agree with you that with the little power the that the stock amp is putting out that running at 2 ohms will not provide a substantial gain over running in 4 ohms. I am simply saying that in my experience that I have installing in these cars I have not seen a drop in performance from from running a 2 ohm speaker in this circumstance. I was just letting the original poster know that a single 2 ohm speaker could be used if it was needed, but so could a single 4 ohm. If what I posted sounded confrontational that is not what I intended, sorry
Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

wow, all of this discussion, and it could have been avoided if i had changed my sig approprietly. i now have an 01 camaro. i totalled the hawk...