Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another Monsoon system question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Monsoon system question

Hello I'm sorry to have to ask this especially after browsing all of the information about this monsoon system I happen to have in my Formula. I'm a relative noob. So Could Someone please review my plans and tell me if I am making any mistakes.

I want to keep my monsoon head unit cassette with 12 disc changer in the back. I have a pair of 8' Bazookatubes and 200 watt amp for it. My sister gave it to me from her old fiero gt for free. I also already a 1.0 Monster Farad capacitor with LED from my previous car's stereo it was never installed. Now for what I want to buy for new speakers:

For the front doors I want to use Infinity Kappa 63.7i 3way 6.5 speaker

For the sail panel I want to use Infinity Kappa 652.7i 2 way 6 3/4 speaker

For the hatch I want to use Infinity Kappa 42.7 i 2 way 4' speaker

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions or previous experience with what I have in mind. I chose Infinity Kappas because I had them in my old 3rd gen Formula and they sounded good, I would like to keep to one brand, and their numbers are better on the whole. Also after looking on ebay the overall price would not be all that bad. I would also like to use better wires. Please help me again thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know with infinity's products, people around here say those speakers fit in nicely with the speaker holes/mounts without much adjustment - if any at all. other than that, i'd say thats a nice setup. just be advised that ur sound wont be optimal with aftermarket speakers and the stock monsoon head unit. from wut i understand, the head unit pushes 2 ohms, so ur speakers wuld have to be 2 ohms for it to resemble good sound, not to mention i believe the stock monsoon amp is tweaked for the monsoon setup.

go for it dude, send us some pics of final install - show ur f-body pride off! i still need to figure out how to post pics up in here anyways... mine are too big for thumbnails.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you keeping the Monsoon amplifier and the original wiring? I may have read that wrong, but sounded like the 200W amp was for the Bazooka's. If that's true, I'd get component speakers for the doors. THat's basically what you have there now. Dropping 3-ways in place of the stock woofers is a waste as the amplifier has built in low-pass crossovers. Ditto for the sail panels.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

You should definetly go with components up front. I have the kappa 60.7cs
comps up front, sound good for the money. Don't bazooka tubes have built in amps? Not sure but I thought I heard that. Also watch your wiring if you are not going to use an external amp for the sails. The wires there are crossed over at the stock amp. In my '01 they only provide bass.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to use new speaker wire. I wanted to keep the stock hu because of the steering wheel controls I like alot. The car came with a cassette so I found a factory changer for a 100 to the door from ebay. So I would prefer to keep that aspect. Hightechgent I would be using the 200w amp for the set of bazookas. Are you saying that my best interest would be to get a good amplifier to replace the stock one.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ded71 not all bazookas came amplified but you could order it either way from what ive heard.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
I was going to use new speaker wire. I wanted to keep the stock hu because of the steering wheel controls I like alot. The car came with a cassette so I found a factory changer for a 100 to the door from ebay. So I would prefer to keep that aspect. Hightechgent I would be using the 200w amp for the set of bazookas. Are you saying that my best interest would be to get a good amplifier to replace the stock one.
No, actually the stock amplifier is better than the stock head unit. If I were going to replace just one, I'd replace the HU first. I was just wondering if you were using the stock amp. As I mentioned, in the stock Monsoon system, only the 4 woofers (2 in doors, 2 in sails) are amplified and are low-passed internally with the Amplifier. The full range speakers you selected would be more suited to using an aftermarket amp. I don't know that replacing the speaker wires will give you any benefit with the stock HU and Amp. But it certainly wouldn't hurt anything as long as you wired it right.

FYI: There are adaptors to use the steering wheel controls with after market head units. You just need a HU with an infra-red remote. Although, you will not be able to use the stock changer.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

If you use the 63.7i on the front doors you would need to run the wire from your door tweeter and run it to the 63.7i. I have the 62.7i in my 02 z28, they sound great, but even with the 2 db turn on the tweeter for extra highs, they can sound too hissy(not sure how to describe it). I would think the 62.7i is plenty of highs for about anyone. They 62.7 and 63.7i are 2ohm so all is good there. I put the 62.7 in the sailpanel also, but you have the DVC 6.5, so not sure how it would work for you. I ran the wires from the far rear 4inch to give full range to the sailpanel.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well the kappa's are 2ohm speakers. What I'd do is go with component kappa's up front, but you cant use the tweeters because the factory ones are 4ohms, and dont get the kappas for the hatch, factory ones are 4ohm also, I'd get the 4x6 reference series speakers for the hatch, there 4ohms. Forget about the sail panels, just tap into the wires for the sail panels subs and use those for the high level input for a sub amp. Not sure if you want a stealth box for a sub since you have a cd changer in there now. But it would be better than just having a small subwoofer box sitting in the trunk just taking up space.

These would be my ideas for a good setup using the factory radio and amp, but its your car, you can do whatever you want.