Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bypassing the headlight switch from emergency brake??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bypassing the headlight switch from emergency brake??

hi, im looking to get halo headlights for my 02 Z and i would like to wire in an on off switch that basically allows me to drive at night with my ebrake down and headlights off so that the halos can run alone.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I assume that you're talking about driving in a parking lot or at a show. I can't imagine that anybody would be stupid enough to drive on the street at night without proper headlights (if that's what you're planning then please don't - others on the road won't appreciate your idiocy no matter how cool you think you look).

All you need to do to disable the automatic headlights is lift the top dash panel and crimp on a scotchlock connector across the two light green with black stripe wires that go to the daylight sensor. This will make the system think it is daylight all the time and the automatic headlights won't go on (the headlight switch will still work normally).
Old 02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no its not for driving around at night but for when i pull into parking lots or the such at night (well lighted area) i can run only the halos...
Old 02-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Good man! Using a scotchlock connector to short the sensor wires is a recent update (last week in fact) to the tried-and-true method of cutting the wires and splicing them together. It is quicker and easier and can be reversed later without much trouble. Just be very careful when lifting the dash pad - it has very sharp edges (don't ask me how I know that )
Old 02-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

top dash pad as in the big pad? how do you take that off?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually, no, not the padded portion of the dash. You want to lift the plastic part on top between the padding and the windshield. It has the defroster vent molded into it and holds the daylight sensor and alarm system LED.

You remove it by first taking off the A pillar trim and then gently prying the dash panel up. It is held on only by a combination of push-in clips and velcro.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or you can do like GM did on the trans ams and just put a piece of wire looped on the plug. haha