Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ok, for all you bass heads.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

I have 2 Infinity Ref 12"s with a bazooka amp and custom 3/4" mdf box and hit 150.3db. I beat a guy with 4 15s once its not just how big your speakers are its the whole setup together.......
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by durrettcustoms
I have 2 Infinity Ref 12"s with a bazooka amp and custom 3/4" mdf box and hit 150.3db. I beat a guy with 4 15s once its not just how big your speakers are its the whole setup together.......
Affirmative....
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

ok, I have the 3 sets of kicker ss components in. We didn't have enough time to get the 275 amp alternator in. But it does look sweet. Those guys got all excited about the setup. It sounds really good, but power runs out fast when it's cranked up. I also go the pioneer avh-p5700dvd installed too. I will try to get some pics tomorrow at work.
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Years ago I used to compete in stereo comps. I remember when usac was born and was holding their outlaw no rules comps. A guy in a mid 90's integra with 1 jl twelve on 400 watts, beat out a guy with 18 10" subs. He stuck the mic in the port of his box. I wonder if the rules have changed by now. completely irrealavent to the thread, but it just reminded me of that day.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by richieg
Years ago I used to compete in stereo comps. I remember when usac was born and was holding their outlaw no rules comps. A guy in a mid 90's integra with 1 jl twelve on 400 watts, beat out a guy with 18 10" subs. He stuck the mic in the port of his box. I wonder if the rules have changed by now. completely irrealavent to the thread, but it just reminded me of that day.
It has changed. The device use to be put on the passenger floorboard, but now it goes to the window. No more microphones, they use pressure sensitive devices. It's extremely accurate. What ever you did on the old mics will be about 7db less than the current pressure sensitive readers.
Old 03-19-2006 | 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

ok, here's the pictures I keep forgetting to upload. So I took some quick shots. Still need to finish up a few things. Alternator being one, I really need to have this installed.

http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...er-5700dvd.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...rss65-rear.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...erss-front.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...ckerss65-1.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...ckerss65-2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...er65-rear2.JPG
Old 03-19-2006 | 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tested a single 15" solobaric X series with my ESX 800d and I couldnt stand in the garage. The air pressure made me nausous, but the box was tremendous! I would bet with a single sub in a bigger ported box, you would yield way more sound.

Old 03-19-2006 | 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YOOFORMULA
I tested a single 15" solobaric X series with my ESX 800d and I couldnt stand in the garage. The air pressure made me nausous, but the box was tremendous! I would bet with a single sub in a bigger ported box, you would yield way more sound.

There are no 15" solo x's, looks like you have a 12" there. They only make them in 10, 12 and 18. There maybe one in the furture, but none are made so far.
Old 03-19-2006 | 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

I once had the same subs, and an ACTUAL 2500w going to them. 143db measured on the dash. Its a nice setup but I too think 165 is going to be a stretch.
Old 03-19-2006 | 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
There are no 15" solo x's, looks like you have a 12" there. They only make them in 10, 12 and 18. There maybe one in the furture, but none are made so far.
My bad, you are right, they were 18s. sorry.
Old 03-20-2006 | 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

From where you are mounting the Subs, there will be too much air space in the cabin of the vehicle to compress. Thst is why I don't think you are going to reach into the 160's.

You are going to have to compress the air to make Pressure. Your ears may perceive it as being really loud, but after 135 dB at around 80 hz your ears are going to hurt no matter what. If youa re serious about hitting in the 160's, it'll take a large amount of power, unregulated amp, stepped voltage to around 16.5+ vDC, and a ported enclosure in a push pull arrangement. (i.e. Port on the passenger side and the sub on the drivers side.

That way the engergy is compressing a smaller amount of airspace. You'd also want to tune for around 53-59hz. Best bet is to call Kicker and ask them about an SPL arrangement and what vehicle it's installed in. The interior of the car hasn't changed too much since 82. Lot's of systems have been made to work in these cars. I once saw a guy with 3 older stroker 15's ported and around 2800 watts and he was only in the mid 150's.

If this arrangement doesn't work, try going ported to hit the #. Drop down to 1 15" and do up a nice rectangular port. Tune for around 53-59 Hz. (call kicker for recommendations). You might be suprised at how much louder the set-up will go with the additional air space. 1.5 ft^3 is pretty tight for those subs. They are going to be fighting compression bad. I'd watch the subs to see if the cones are flexing. They will probably since the airspace is so small for each one.

The flexing of the Cone will not deliver it's energy forward. The reason Ported enclosures do well is 1.) the Cone doesn't have to fight the air to move 2.) the efficiency of the port adds to output. 3.) you can drive a speaker harder with a tuned enclosure at it's tuned frequency do to the speaker hitting in the Natural resonance. The resonance creates it's only Energies to the output.

Also, start looking into sealing the vehicle up more. Also add bracing to panels. Vibrating panels create 2nd harmonics that can cancel the energy out. Also expect **** to rattle off. I couldn't find anything to keep my rear-view mirror in place once I got serious about SPL.

What ever you do, make sure your remote works fine. Not worth trying to sit in the car and burp it loud.

Shoot me a PM man. I'll forward what info I have in my head and whatever else I have to help you out. I would like to see you hit 160, but it's a stretch with the arrangement you have now.

Last edited by Richiec77; 03-20-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:40 AM
Launching!

with some of these #'s you guys are posting im very interested where you had the mics setup in your cars, also which mics and software were they. Because i've been around a lot of very nice setups and the only ones that i've seen touch the 165 mark have multiple subs (3+) or 5k watts of power plus. IF i were you and your looking for big numbers get a DD (digital designs) 9915 or 9917 which you have the power for big the biggest ported box you can with space availble, and throw 2000+ watts at it and you will be PLENTY loud. Both subs can handle well into the 5k watt area when gains are setup properly.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

thank you for all the input everyone. Please read the whole post before commenting. I'm well aware of 160db being a challenge.

I went with 15s because I want low bass. I won't tune any 15 to try and hit 59hz or so. That's wasting 15" in my opinion. It's a fact, sealed woofers reproduce the lowerest frequency. Ported boxes will give you more volume. Whatever it hits I'm ok with, SQ has always been the goal. And 160db wouldn't be any problems using old mics, but we shall see with the new pressure sensors will do. I think I'm going to purchase this software. Just debating on two sensors versus one. I honestly, can't wait to see the range it covers at what db. I like the low deep bass. People who do 70hz and hit 150db, honestly doesn't impress me. It's harder to reproduce a 30hz note at a high spl.

Quick Reply: Ok, for all you bass heads.....