Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mounting brackets for sail panels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting brackets for sail panels?

has anyone needed to use mounting kits for the sail panel 6.5's? i got jl audio xr6.5 coaxials, an they're a wee bit small (found that out AFTER doing all the wiring for the crossovers).

also, just makin sure, but with the stock amp runnin power to the tweeters to my sail panels, im probably not gonna hear the highs, right? the bass sounds fine - awesome, really - but no sound from tweeters.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Teching In

You can just cut a piece of mdf to fit over the stock location, then cut the proper size hole for the coax. Its a good idea to make a more solid baffle to mount the driver in anyway.

The bass always drowns out the mids/highs from the rear imo. Id personally put the money going towards rear-fill into a nice frontstage..
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I ran into some fitment issues with my kappa 62.7i speakers in the sails. Same deal, wired the crossovers, and the speakers were just a hair shy of where they were supposed to line-up. Luckily the speakers came with all kinds of mounting rings and such, so I was able to use those.
If you use the stock amp, then you will only get bass from the sails due to the amp being crossed over. I have heard of people pulling the wires from the hatch speakers foward to get the highs to the sails though. Just an option.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

running the wires from the hatches to my sails sound like a viable option - didnt think about that (then again, culdnt think much after i got pissed that i culdnt install my speakers ) wuts the wiring scheme when i snap that connector off though? or is it labeled +/- ? also, do i just hook those ends directly into the crossover? wuld the mids from those speakers end up blowing the tweeters, or wuld the crossover automatically filter those to the woofer? thanks for the tip...

also, the mdf - wut exactly is that? where culd i get it?

tks for the help, fellas
Old 02-25-2006, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

The crossovers should protect your tweeters, but I'm not sure about the wiring to the hatch speakers in a camaro. In the firebird there are two speakers in the hatch area, tweeters and mids, I think I read the camaros have only one.
If the camaro has only one set of wires going to the back you should be able to hook those right to your crossovers, not sure about + and - though. Keep in mind that you will probably lose most of your bass without a seperate sub.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ded71 is correct, in the Camaro Monsoon system, there is only a 4" midrange in the rear hatch, but it still recieves a full-range signal. If I remember corectly, there is a tan wire to each mid, those are the positive leads.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh, well, if thats the case, then ill just leave the wires as-is for the hatches and use the sails for my bass for the time being. i got components goin up front in a lil bit, so it aint gonna be that long before i get better highs than wut my hatches give. now i just gotta drill my speakers up to the hole...

thanks for the help fellas!