Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stealthbox: JL vs. subthump

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transaman98
the reason that the stealthbox is so much better in my mind is because JL puts unheard of amounts of research and development into their boxes. Also consider this when JL makes that box they also make it for a particular subwoofer that they design, wether it be something as small as a single 8" or even in some of them u can pick up a 13Wv2. Regardless...you can say whatever you want about subthump boxes being really nice etc... but the only problem is that they arent designed with a specific speaker in mind. They might build the box so that it is somewhere w/in the parameters of airspace that ur particular sub requires... but they dont take into account the amount of displacement of air that the sub takes up when it is put into the box. Im telling you w/ five years of professional installation experience under my belt aswell as having owned both subthump boxes and JL. Subthump is nice, but JL is without a doubt better. Call JL up...the best way to find the answer to this question isnt to talk to a bunch of hobby oriented audio enthusiasts.
No ones saying the JL box isnt very nice. But its also very expensive and your having to use a JL sub. Which isnt a bad thing per say but leaves you no choices. You are right each sub wants its own airspace and JL specificaly designs the box for its sub. But thats not to say that the subthump box is to small. For example my sub requires less airspace than what the subthump box has so I'll be adjusting accoringly. (actualy I'm making a custom box and selling the subthump). Not all 10" subs needs 1 cu ft of airspace some only want 1/2 of that, others more. You need to figure out which sub you want to run and then consult the mfg for specific box requirements. I'll make anyone a custom box out of fiberglass for what ever 10" they want to run. I can almost put a 12" Bostons Acoustics g5 in that stealth box area, Its sightly undersized, ever so slight, some would do it to gain the extra 2". My prices are more than subthump and a lot less than JL. I'll supply your sub if you want. Tell me what you want and I'll see what I can get it for. If you can get it for less then buy it yourself and I'll just sell you the box. Fiberglass(strong) and carpeted.

Quick Reply: stealthbox: JL vs. subthump