Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing amp w/ stock h/u.......two 8's or one 10

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question Installing amp w/ stock h/u.......two 8's or one 10

I got an Orion Cobalt 702 for $20 from a buddy and I want to install it with my factory h/u. I'm not sure if Orion is a decent brand at all, but I've read that they were ok. Does anyone know the specs on these amps? I don't have a Monsoon system. Are all the cars equipeed with the "subs" in the back panels? I don't want a competition system or anything. I just started looking at pumping up the low end a bit. I like a nice tight response. Any tips on how I should hook this up? And...........do you you recommend two 8's or a single 10. I'm not looking at spending alot of jack (as you can tell) I've got alot of stereo install friends, but I have to get some input from people who have f-body's. If anybody would give me their $.02, I would appreciate all input. Thanks!!

Joe
Old 03-04-2006 | 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the non-Monsoon equipped cars had full-range speakers driven from the stock head unit in both doors and sails, with no speakers in the rear hatch area.

If it's bass your looking for, I'd think one 10" beats 2x 8".
Old 03-04-2006 | 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I believe the non-Monsoon equipped cars had full-range speakers driven from the stock head unit in both doors and sails, with no speakers in the rear hatch area.

If it's bass your looking for, I'd think one 10" beats 2x 8".

That's wierd, because I have door, sails and hatch speakers. The sails are low end only. If it were a monsoon, I wouldv'e seen an amp somewhere and it should say something special on the h/u. I did buy this car used and haven't done anything stereo-wise at all to it. Did they have a special RPO code for a Monsoon system?
Old 03-04-2006 | 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

i got that plug in adapter from Pac that adds rcas and a remote turn on wire with no cutting,hooked up to a alpine 350 some **** mono amp and a 10w3, it jams...btw that Orion is very decent been around since the 80s and the old **** was better from them

Jeremy
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedrum71
That's wierd, because I have door, sails and hatch speakers. The sails are low end only. If it were a monsoon, I wouldv'e seen an amp somewhere and it should say something special on the h/u. I did buy this car used and haven't done anything stereo-wise at all to it. Did they have a special RPO code for a Monsoon system?
If the system was a Monsoon, the amp is in the spare tire well. Mine was the 500watt system with all of the speakers you stated. The sails were "subs" only.

Last edited by Blacker; 03-04-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedrum71
I got an Orion Cobalt 702 for $20 from a buddy and I want to install it with my factory h/u. I'm not sure if Orion is a decent brand at all, but I've read that they were ok. Does anyone know the specs on these amps? I don't have a Monsoon system. Are all the cars equipeed with the "subs" in the back panels? I don't want a competition system or anything. I just started looking at pumping up the low end a bit. I like a nice tight response. Any tips on how I should hook this up? And...........do you you recommend two 8's or a single 10. I'm not looking at spending alot of jack (as you can tell) I've got alot of stereo install friends, but I have to get some input from people who have f-body's. If anybody would give me their $.02, I would appreciate all input. Thanks!!

Joe
By looking at the specs, the Cobalt 702 is 280x1 and is 2ohm stable in mono. I was running the MTX Thunderform with a MTX 10" Sub pushed by ~300watts and it sounded decent. It had more than enough bass and I used that with the stock Monsoon System with the Alpine CDA-D857 Headunit. I later changed the box/sub to a Subthump/Alpine Type-S Sub and the sound quality was much better. The Type-S is a dual voice coil (DVC) and if you wanted only one sub, get the SWS-1042D. I believe these are ~$75 on eBay.

Last edited by Blacker; 03-04-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2006 | 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a single 10" and either a Subthump, MTX, or JL box. Or you can buy a Sub and Box from MTX or JL. The 10 sounds like it'll fit your needs perfectly.

As for the wiring, I'm not sure off hand. I don't have my car around to take a look. I have the same set-up as yours.