Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is Safe to Hook up 4 full range speakers to 2 channel amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Safe to Hook up 4 full range speakers to 2 channel amp?

I sold my cd player to a friend and it doesn't have an amplifier in it to power his front and rear factory speakers in his 04 F150. I went and bought an amp thinking he had 2 speakers. I was going to just double wire each set of speakers to the terminals. Both left speakers on one terminal and both right speakers on the other. Is this safe for the factory speakers or the amp?

This is a link to the amp I bought:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-079

If it wont work Im gonna return it and buy the 4 channel version but this is coming out of my pocket so I'd like to save $30 by using the 2 ch amp if I can.

My second question is: since the amp will be putting out a low amount of power equal to that of a head unit would it be safe to splice off of the head unit's power and ground cable to power the amp?
Thanks,
Lane
Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lrk322
I sold my cd player to a friend and it doesn't have an amplifier in it to power his front and rear factory speakers in his 04 F150. I went and bought an amp thinking he had 2 speakers. I was going to just double wire each set of speakers to the terminals. Both left speakers on one terminal and both right speakers on the other. Is this safe for the factory speakers or the amp?
If you wire the factory left side in series, then the factory right side in series, you could run all 4 off this amp, this would present an 8 ohm load to the amp. (assuming 4 ohm speakers) If you connect them in parallel you will toast this amp, it is not 2 ohm stable! The downside is that he will have no way to adjust the level between the front and rear. This is definitely not a great solution, in addition each speaker will only be getting around 10 watts RMS (this is an optemestic estimate) Comparable to a factory head unit, but if your friend is expecting the new setup to be louder he may be disappointed. Do him a favor and buy the 4 channel. (or a second 2 channel)

Originally Posted by lrk322
My second question is: since the amp will be putting out a low amount of power equal to that of a head unit would it be safe to splice off of the head unit's power and ground cable to power the amp?
Thanks,
Lane
I wouldn't, but you probibly could get away wilh it if you wire the speakers the way I described. I would not connect a 4 channel to the head unit power supply.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you sold your friend an aftermarket CD player, what would you need with such a small amplifier??? Have you even tried it with the speakers just driven off the head unit?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

ITs a rare alpine oled deck that has no built in amplifier. I got a cheap 4 channel for 45 dollars that worked just fine.

Thanks for the help!