Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket headunit, stock speakers, mtx subwoofer box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aftermarket headunit, stock speakers, mtx subwoofer box?

hey guys im looking for some guidence...i have an 01 trans am with monsoon and recently put in a jvc headunit and kept the stock monsoon speakers cuse they still sound good. I think it sounds pretty good but want more bass.

is there anyway to do this w.o replacing the stock door sail panel speakers and stock amp? wud it be ridiculous for me to add a sub and amp in a stealth box with the stock monsoon speakers? i was thinken of the mtx stealthbox with the t45 10inch sub. if i shud add a sub, is that sub even good?

also what amp would you recommend? if the sub is 225 rms max is that powerful enough to notice a difference and if so how powerful of a mono amp would i need to get it thumpin?

Thanks alot I appreciate the help!
John
Old 03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an 12" subthump box with an Alpine mono amp and type S subwoofer. The thing pounds pretty hard for only one 12. When I got my car two of the factory speakers were blown, so I replaced the door and sail pannel speakers with apline type S 6.5" speakers. I also disconnected the two speakers in the way back when I took the Monsoon out.

if you replace the factory speakers, you will have to run new wires to the new speakers. Its actually really easy. Also get a PAC to interface with your steering wheel controls so they work also, if you have them.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the MTX Thunderform and it wans't bad. I bought the box off eBay and had no complaints with it. A decent 300Wrms amp will be fine for that speaker. I was using the MTX6500D and it was about right. It was easy to install and you could not even tell it was there.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

great, thants alot guys

do you think it would be stupid to buy an amp and sub w.o even replacing the stock speakers? i mean they sound fine just need some more bass
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) Add your sub by tapping off the rear input channels on the monsoon amp. You can use these as speaker level inputs, or step them down at that point with a plain old generic line level converter. There's no need to use the PAX unit or to run new wires back to the amp.

2.) By setting the gains and crossovers on your sub appropriately, you can make the sub put out a disproportionate amount of bass relative to the other speakers. So basically your head unit bass setting is really low - meaning that your regular speakers aren't being asked to produce much bass. Then the sub gain / crossover / boost is set that it produces the bass you want with the head unit set in this way. This keeps the bass out of your factory speakers, and will make them sound better. The "right" way to do this is to add bass-blockers to your factory speakers but this is more work and cost. It is also possible that your head unit has a setting for a high-pass filter to the speakers, you could use this setting for the fronts, and be ok.

3.) You may well find you like the sound better completely disconnecting the factory sail panel subs. They are made pretty much obselete by the added sub, and will probably just produce distortion and get worn out. Unhook them so they can be ready to rehook when you sell the car, or better yet, take them out, save some wieght, and sell 'em on eBay.

4.) Given what you have in mind, I'd highly recommend going ahead and dropping an extra $60 and some work to replace at least the front door speakers as well. Seriously you can pick up Alpines for $60 and have them in the car in an afternoon. Just suck it up and do it because you know eventually you'll get the itch. The factory speakers don't produce much in the way of real treble - you'll pick up a lot of clarity replacing the fronts, and it will be that much more important after adding the sub. Not to mention a good set of front monsoon speakers can be sold on eBay for very close to, if not more, than aftermarkets.

Whatever the case a well-driven 10" in a stealth box is going to make enough bass to over power the factory speakers by a large margin. It will be a huge improvement, and you'll be happy.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by todddchi
Whatever the case a well-driven 10" in a stealth box is going to make enough bass to over power the factory speakers by a large margin. It will be a huge improvement, and you'll be happy.
He's totally right..I have a 10 in a stealth box..nothing special. Its no pair of 12s but in that small area it works like a charm to pick up 125> frequencies the factory stuff sucks at reproducing. I want a 12 though for 80hz>_, but I want to put it where the stealth goes.

You will be pleased with it, regardless.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

awesome...thanks alot guys i really appreciate it!