Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear mount Amp rack in Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear mount Amp rack in Camaro

I'm making a vertical amp rack to go against the back wall of the t-top area based on the plans from White Rascal. I'm not quite sure how to mount it though. I only seem to have one tail lamp bolt on each side, it must be different then a pontiac. I have about 20 pounds of amps and I'd be a little worried about weight. Once it's bolted in is there an easy way to remove it? The screws would be under the amps, correct? Finally, unless I'm overlooking something, the factory carpeting is still in place and you need to cut holes it? Any advice on installing this in a Camaro would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man. I just finished my amp rack project. I used some wooden blocks and bolted them right to the rear metal panel. I have some pics on my site of how I did it.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Wow, thanks ... that's just what I was looking for. Couple of of quick questions. It looks like you have a screw going through the middle of the board? Is that going right into the sheet metal? Also, does the board sit on top of the t-top holders?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the board sits on top of the t top holders. I found that if I only had mounts at the top then the board kind of moved around near the bottom since there was no support there. I made a third mount in the center and lower down toward the t top holders. That one is just screwed into the rear of the trunk with self tapping screws. I used 1/2" plywood for the board and the mounting brakets. 3 pieces thick for the upper and I belive 4 pieces thick for the bottom. Then I used carriage bolts I got from home depot to secure them. As well as some matching threaded anchors that I screwed into the wooden brackets.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

http://www.subthump.com/acamarorack2.htm Here ya go