Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to know if you've really got a Monsoon system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to know if you've really got a Monsoon system?

So I was reading a GM model description of the 2002 camaros, and it seems that all 2002 camaro super sports came with a monsoon system standard, is that correct?

I'm curious because it seems my car was ordered with a tape deck in the head unit and a factory 12-disc changer back in the rear.. But my head unit doesn't have a monsoon logo. How can I check to see if I've actually got a monsoon system in here - where's the amplifier located if i've got one?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio, itself, is not part of the Monsoon System. When I purchased my car, it came with the Monsoon labeled headunit that was a tape deck. I started to have problems with the volume **** and the dealer replaced it. The Monsoon Logo was now Delco. The Monsoon System performed the same with the replacement radio. If you have the Monsoon, the amp is located in the spare tire well.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Teching In

My 98 says Monsoon on the headunit and the system sounds great but i havent seen an amp in the trunk area at all. On the drivers side the harness going to the speaker in the hatch area has a connector tied away from the factory and i was thinking that this could possibly be for the amp. Am I correct?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, I did find the amp in the location listed in the FAQ. Looks like even though the head unit is branded Delco, it's still a monsoon speaker setup.

Thanks for the assistance
Old 03-26-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. That connector is for the optional 12 CD changer unit. The amplifier is a black box mounted forward of the spare tire on the rear passenger sidewall behind the trim panel.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this box enclosed? I have a black plastic mounting part back there but didnt see an amp on it.