Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fixing the 2ohm speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fixing the 2ohm speaker problem

If I ditch my monsoon amp will this fix the 2ohm speaker problem and let me get some 4ohm speakers with out cutting the power or whatever it said.

I was thinking about just running speaker wire directly to the headunit but then I thought about it some more and I think it would be a PITA.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want this done the easiest way possible:

- Install your head unit as normal.
- Make some jumper wires at the amp, connecting the 4 head unit outs/amp in channels to 4 (known) pairs of wires at each location. Then hook up your speakers to those 4 channels of wires.

Amp is disconnected and out of the picture completely. Head unit is driving 4x4 ohm loads like god intended, and you've spent no time running new wires or messing with any other wires.

***HOWEVER*** ...the monsoon amp is stronger than aftermarket head unit amps. Pushing a 4 ohm load it will still hit a lot harder than a head unit amp. Yes, even a high quality head unit like an Alpine or Eclipse. You'll be needing to get up to a dedicated 30-40 rms amp before you hear a volume improvement.

Maybe, the new Panasonics with the digital amps (70 watts peak I think) might be stronger. But any common 20rms or so head unit amp is still going to be a good bit weaker than the monsoon amp - 4 ohm or not.

Last edited by todddchi; 03-29-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few ways to tackle this. On my car, I went with an eclipse amp that has high (speaker) level input as well as rca inputs. You really dont need to run wire from the head unit. If you dont get an amp with that capability, you can buy input converters from any reputable stereo shop. One thing you will need to run wire for, is the remote signal for the amp. I ran mine from the back of the head unit where the power antenna output is. Afterward, someone on here told me that I could have just tapped into the + side of a speaker output from the head unit. Oh well, I was already done. Dont know for shure if that works but its worth a try. One final thing that you may have already considered, infinity makes a line of speakers, I think the Kappa, that are 2ohm. That would allow you to use the monsoon amp still. www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/ has wiring schematics if you need them. Good luck!!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01Generalee
If I ditch my monsoon amp will this fix the 2ohm speaker problem and let me get some 4ohm speakers with out cutting the power or whatever it said.

I was thinking about just running speaker wire directly to the headunit but then I thought about it some more and I think it would be a PITA.
There is no "2 ohm Speaker" problem. The Monsoon amp is quite capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. I have all 4 ohm speakers in my SS. And it sounds better than stock.

And, NO! you don't necessarily lose sound power level, just because your sucking less electrical power from the amp.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I installed the infinity kappa 60.7cs comps in my doors (firebird) and they worked fine with the monsoon amp. Was a pretty straight-up install too. I still ended up adding two amps and ditching the monsoon, but it was not because they sounded bad, just wanted more power.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1 pioneer 5800 head unit, 4 pioneer 240 watt 6 3/4s, 1 kicker 930 watt 5 channel amp, 1 kicker 900 watt solo baric, 3-4 hours install time, i ran all new wires....sounds 10 times better than stock. also running new speaker wire to all 4 was not that difficult, just time consuming. btw, unlpug the hatch speakers, there not needed. let me know if you all have any questions.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
btw, unlpug the hatch speakers, there not needed. let me know if you all have any questions.
That may be true depending on your listening tastes, but I find the rear hatch speakers really add depth in the stock Monson system. Otherwise you only get bass from the rear channel.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree if your keeping the monsoon amp. i however bypassed it and now the 2 speakers in the back seat receive highs and low, not just bass anymore like when it was hooked up to the monsoon amp. therefore, i dont need the filler sound that the hatch speakers were producing.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

why not just choose from the variety of component sets offered in a 2ohm configuration?

ie image dynamics cx62's etc...

Quick Reply: Fixing the 2ohm speaker problem